free hit
counters
How do I remove the Alpine Head Unit? - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
usurp

How do I remove the Alpine Head Unit?

French Frie    270

They're the cheapest here : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00161310.html

but I'm afraid they won't ship abroad :blush:... But it can be a solution for swiss, belgian or lux. people here  !  I ordered both 100 and 130 kits , shipped, for €92 (£78) ...

Edited by French Frie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
TonyKL    88

Ok so finally head unit removed, speakers removed.  Now awaiting delivery of new ones...

usurp    43

I got my speakers the day I was sending my car off to Bahrain for an open track weekend. I'll get my car tomorrow so will try and install the speakers tomorrow if not monday. I'll make sure i take a bunch of photos.

On 4/26/2017 at 21:32, French Frie said:

They're the cheapest here : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00161310.html

but I'm afraid they won't ship abroad :blush:... But it can be a solution for swiss, belgian or lux. people here  !  I ordered both 100 and 130 kits , shipped, for €92 (£78) ...

that seems too good to be true which means they must be knockoffs or something. they can't be THAT cheap, 46euros for 130AC??? http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00161308.html

French Frie    270

Just received the speakers today :)... @usurp: they're brand new and in perfeçt condition :P!

usurp    43
26 minutes ago, French Frie said:

Just received the speakers today :)... @usurp: they're brand new and in perfeçt condition :P!

I guess I'll be ordering my rear speakers from there. I have a french forwarding mailbox so hopefully they'll accept payment with an international credit card.

French Frie    270

Yep, and you can even pay through Paypal ... but please be aware that they are quite cautious about buyers and ask for an Id card and a a proof for the delivery address (such as a bill), if not using a verified payment system (such as bank wiring of 3D secure credit card)  ! No problem with that, but if you can't provide these elements, no shipping ...

• Like 1

TonyKL    88
On 28/04/2017 at 15:26, TonyKL said:

Ok so finally head unit removed, speakers removed.  Now awaiting delivery of new ones...

Everything arrived today, rears installed, fronts tomorrow.

French Frie    270

Tony, how did you proceed about rear speakers? Can they be swapped without taking out the passenger seat, as it doesn't move ?

TonyKL    88

It is possible to replace the rear passenger speaker without removing the seat. This is how I did it. It's pretty fiddly, however if you can get the alpine out you should get the focal in.

try on the drivers side first as this is easier.

however, the seat is only 4 bolts so overall would be quicker removing the seat (if you don't have hardtop on)

i found the the screws aren't very tight so can be undone with just a Philips head (the things that are inter changeable in socket sets)

it also depends on how big your hands are as much of this is done through the seat harness cut outs. 

The rears do how foam backing but the fronts are open. This is why I have left them for tomorrow as I want to try and seal the backing a little. 

Edited by TonyKL
  • Like 1

usurp    43
On 4/30/2017 at 01:02, TonyKL said:

Everything arrived today, rears installed, fronts tomorrow.

so don't keep us in suspense, how does it sound??

usurp    43

I finally swapped out the speakers, here are a bunch of pictures of the process for those interested. Sound wise they're wayyyyyyy better than what was there originally. And for such a tiny speaker it does pump out a good amount of bass, maybe better than the rear speakers. I'm so impressed I'm actually going to go an order Focal 130AC for the rear.

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

Other than rear speakers I'm also going to go ahead and order the Alpine KTP-445A 4-Channel AMP. I think it should fit behind the head unit without any issue. I looked inside and there seems to be space. The amp is plug and play, no extra wiring to run or anything, just fits between the factory cable and the current alpine head unit and should be able to push more power to the speakers which I think they need.

amp.jpg

• Like 1

French Frie    270

great ! you'll find out that the 130AC magnet, being thicker, is fouling with noise insulation, but not a problem, you just have to press a bit the speaker in its hole ... A pity that there is not more room for better low end, though ! 

• Like 1

usurp    43

The amp arrived in the mail today. First impression I don't think i should have an issue fitting it behind the head unit. The amp has no controls as well so once it's back there I don't ever have to access it again. Only thing I'm worried about is the amp moving around too much during track days, so need to figure out how to stop that from happening.

amp.jpg

MartynB    205

JBLs installed. Here are pics...

Removing the OEM units is a real tricky one, being so far under the sharply sloped glass:

IMG_0369.JPG.593b50ce26dbf2c26af1dac466749ce4.JPG

It's a mixture of ratchet and fingers

IMG_0370.JPG.33816c75e0c5115f813ca7a4a37c51a1.JPG

Old vs New

IMG_0371.JPG.fe7dfda006d20717dce8c506c757951a.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG.3216a1dcb7f4d8e53b23eba9c9b4210b.JPG

The cones on the JBLs are actually wider, so I sanded out the plastic bezel about 1mm all round to clear the rubber suspension properly.

I also installed some neoprene tape to help seal and keep things from flapping about.

IMG_0374.JPG.f1b4f4ef1fa5b24927dbf696523278fe.JPG

The polymer chassis is noticeably thicker than the stamped steel OEM one, so the grille sits a touch higher. No worries

IMG_0375.JPG.6e75afaae88d45b9572dfe3408b9bab6.JPG

• Like 1

usurp    43

So I just finished installing the amp and it fit behind the head unit. The cables were pretty long, I should have gotten them shortened but decided to try it with the cables long since I figured they might help in holding the amp in place during track days, and I think thats whats going to happen. There is too much cable for that small space and so they're gonna stop the amp from moving around back there.

The amp I got was the KTP-445A which is different from the KTP-445U. "A" stands for Alpine while the "U" stands for universal. If you have an Alpine head unit then the Alpine version of the amp is what you need since its a direct plug and play version. If you already have an alpine head unit then you just take the cable from the car, plug it into the amp and then take another cable and plug it from the amp to the head unit. Thats it, no cable splicing or needing to run a battery line or anything of the sort.

First impression, I think it adds at least 20-30% more power to the head unit. Previously I would raise the sound up to level 27 now the equivalent is around 20. It gets loud, louder then I would need in a car this small. The sound also seems clearer with less distortion because the head unit no longer is struggling to achieve the volume I normally listen at. 

I got the amp for $101 on Amazon and I definitely think its worth it. I'm getting my rear Focal speakers tomorrow and I imagine they'll appreciate the extra oomph the amp provides.

head2.jpg

head1.jpg

usurp    43
On 5/3/2017 at 18:45, French Frie said:

great ! you'll find out that the 130AC magnet, being thicker, is fouling with noise insulation, but not a problem, you just have to press a bit the speaker in its hole ... A pity that there is not more room for better low end, though ! 

Hey so quick question. I installed one of the rear speakers today behind the driver seat. I didn't have an issue with the magnet being thicker, I guess the GCC spec model has more space behind the speaker since we have the secondary AC unit back there. BUT, I did have an issue fitting the plastic ring used to hold the speaker grill. How did you manage to fit that? Mine wouldn't go in so I kinda managed to get it to work but now it's slightly warped and the grill won't fit on it right.

I'll take better pictures when I remove the passenger seat and swap that speaker out.

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

• Like 1

TonyKL    88

Not much help but I didn't have any issues with fitting rear focal ac130s. There was plenty of room for the speaker around the foam the all the focal bits fitted in. Wasn't easy lining he screws up but only aligned it went in no trouble. Same on both sides. 

usurp    43

Ok so I installed the speaker behind the passenger seat today. Removing the seat bolts wasn't that difficult but you need a bunch of different tools to reach all the bolts, luckily I did it at my friends place who had all the tools needed. The hardest bolt to remove is the front right one since there wasn't enough room. I also didn't remove the seat completely from the car, just moved it forward enough so i could get to the speaker.

The Focal AC130 speaker has 3 parts, the speaker, the grill and another plastic base that goes under the speaker and holds the grill. That piece doesn't fit into the concave speaker space, i've tried to show it my best in the picture below. I've pushed one side of the place piece in but the bottom left side is sticking out and can't go in. (note that white tube is for my rear air vents, GCC spec).

Anyway the fitting issue is not that big of a deal. You can still install the speaker and screw it in, its just the plastic base kinda squeezes into the space and warps a bit making it difficult to install the grill fully. But so far from my short time with the speakers no issues.

Sound wise its great, I have a crossover built into my stereo so the front speakers are set at 200mhz and the rear at 20mhz. It's not a lot of bass from the back but its pretty decent, not boomy, very tight. I might not end up installing a subwoofer after all. I can also pump the volume up pretty high to a point of it being unbearable, so the amp was definitely worth it.

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

Edited by usurp
  • Like 1

TonyKL    88

To me it looks like your rear panel (the bit that hides the ac) is deeper than mine, this might the is cause - i think my panel is quiet flat.

usurp    43
6 hours ago, TonyKL said:

To me it looks like your rear panel (the bit that hides the ac) is deeper than mine, this might the is cause - i think my panel is quiet flat.

ah that could explain it