free hit
counters
Seat belts, harnesses, airbags, MOT's and the law! - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
C8RKH

Seat belts, harnesses, airbags, MOT's and the law!

Bit of a knobby question but looking for advice.

I have had a harness bar and harness fitted with the original seat belts retained.  I next want to move to a removable steering wheel but believe this means I cannot have a wheel with the airbag which i am fine with. Where does that leave me when it comes to the MOT? Can I have a road car with no steering wheel airbag? And how do I stop the airbag light coming on when the airbag is not there.

It's for my VX220 so i am assuming similar to an S2 Elise in terms of what can and cannot be done and legal etc....

Thanks in advance.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've removed the airbag wheel on mine, it's nothing of a job..

I'm sure a dealer would be able to go into your cars ECU & turn off the airbag feature (I'm assuming that's what they do on the cup cars as the removable wheel is a dealer fit)

However not having that facility we simply pushed a small resistor into the holes in the plug that were left vacant when the airbag plug came out, seems to do the trick without any issues.

To date my V6 hasn't required an MOT but previously did the same to my 09 plate Elise & never had any issues at MOT time (though I may just have been lucky?)

NB. Having removed the airbag wheel the replacement boss, horn ring, wheel & removable gubbins can all be obtained from Dave @Seriouslylotus

Technically it could fail, but may not.

Reason for rejection: An air bag obviously missing or defective

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s05000401.htm

However, that relies on the tester deciding that the steering wheel originally had an airbag (check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and not defective).So, if an original steering wheel was still in use but had the airbag de-activated you'd expect the tester to spot it, but if you're gong to use a steering wheel that the tester either doesn't realise is non-original, or doesn't know that the original had an airbag, then it could pass.

If the air bag was removed and the 'alert' mechanism rectified so as not to detect a fault, how many MOT testers would even know it wasn't there anyway?

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?