free hit
counters
ECU Software upgrade - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Spinney

ECU Software upgrade

29 minutes ago, RRSSS said:

So after reading this thread, I enquired about the software update yesterday when I took mine in to B&C for its annual service. Picked it up today and they mentioned that "L" is outdated and the latest software is now "N" (which is what I now have). Apparently "L" was only valid for about a week or so?

Really??? Bugger, I only had mine installed 2 weeks ago! Wonder what improvements version N is showing? Mind you, I'm quite happy with mine now so can't imagine it can be much improved beyond that. Have you noticed an improvement in how yours runs?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
22 minutes ago, RedViper said:

Did you notice any difference? 

17 minutes ago, Spinney said:

Really??? Bugger, I only had mine installed 2 weeks ago! Wonder what improvements version N is showing? Mind you, I'm quite happy with mine now so can't imagine it can be much improved beyond that. Have you noticed an improvement in how yours runs?

Short answer is no! Long answer is I picked it up and ambled down the country lanes (engine was cold) followed by A3 then straight back home. Will update if I notice any differences next time I'm out. As for noise, I've got a 2bular so was already loud!

Mine pops and bangs a bit more on overrun but apart from that,  is no louder than before. 

• Like 1

I think mine was updated when @Hangar 111serviced it last month. It feels almost like it's been remapped for more power since they had it, it seems a lot more grunty low down, picks up really quickly and feels a lot quicker basically! The exhaust has been burbling away nicely and pops occasionally on the overrun, which it has never done previously in 5,700 miles. It also seems to be more efficient, will see what the mog calculation is when I fill it up tomorrow but I did 130 motorway miles last night and still have half a tank left according to the fuel gauge,  previously i would be down to 2 bars...

On 29 April 2017 at 12:43, Gashead1105 said:

I think mine was updated when @Hangar 111serviced it last month. It feels almost like it's been remapped for more power since they had it, it seems a lot more grunty low down, picks up really quickly and feels a lot quicker basically! The exhaust has been burbling away nicely and pops occasionally on the overrun, which it has never done previously in 5,700 miles. It also seems to be more efficient, will see what the mog calculation is when I fill it up tomorrow but I did 130 motorway miles last night and still have half a tank left according to the fuel gauge,  previously i would be down to 2 bars...

Sounds exactly like my experience on every level. Glad it's not just me imagining it.

Hello,

I've just checked my ECU version from holding the button in and the dash showed the following:

SE VER: v06.07

REL: 201 4/06/04 

I'm guessing this is old but unable to find any reference to this level

Its due its service in a few weeks, so will have them check it  

Mine had its first year service two weeks ago and apparently the ECU was already up to date.

7 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Mine had its first year service two weeks ago and apparently the ECU was already up to date.

What version is showing ? 

Haven't a clue!

Didnt even know you could see it - how do I do that?

59 minutes ago, mbes2 said:

Hello,

I've just checked my ECU version from holding the button in and the dash showed the following:

SE VER: v06.07

REL: 201 4/06/04 

I'm guessing this is old but unable to find any reference to this level

Its due its service in a few weeks, so will have them check it  

See my previous comment on this thread...

On 20/04/2017 at 11:46, Hangar 111 said:

That's the version of the dash software, not the ECU program level.

Dave

Dave

11 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update, out of interest if "N" is now the latest version, what version is mine with the showing data?

Mark 

He can't tell you because what you have posted is the dash software version, not the version of the map currently applied to the ECU.

17 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

He can't tell you because what you have posted is the dash software version, not the version of the map currently applied to the ECU.

aarrh ok, that makes more sense, so is there no way to check the version of the ECU map installed from the dash?

Thanks to this thread mine's going in to Oakmere tomorrow, The way you described the car's drive before the software update marries up to what i've concluded with mine. Mine's a 2015 car, reg'd in June. It has been serviced twice since then in 2016/2017 so i'm left a little confused as to whether that is indeed the problem or not.

1st gear in mine currently does feel off, it isnt a smooth delivery of power, feels lumpy and inconvenient to drive when in this gear ( I only noticed in motorway traffic last week). It also doesnt feel right at low rpm in other gears, i'd describe that as lumpy too and breathless until it gets to around 4k rpm, then it feels fairly quick.  So finger's crossed this'll fix it....

On 5/5/2017 at 13:39, Hangar 111 said:

Dave

so there isn't a way for us to check what ECU version we have ourselves?

Essex Autosport have offered to connect to my ECU to check the version as they have the newer releases from Lotus.

So will update once I have those finding.

Just had N installed. It cost £40 but feel that's worth it easily. Great help from Phil at Bell and Colville.

The car somehow feels smoother and possibly has more grunt lower down. It started to pour and I drove a lot in 5th and 6th along quick winding dual carriageways and it just pulled happily and felt great all the time. My previous map was L.

I went to get this as I have been trying to figure out why this car wont blip very easily going down the gears and have now just decided that's simply the way they are.

I have driven 4 other cars this week (vx220, Mini cooper S, Peugeot 107 and TVR Tuscan) and all blipped very simply without even thinking about it whereas the exige seems to do it when it fancies it, but I will persevere

Martin S

Edited by MARTIN_S

I could be wrong, but I suspect it has to do with the way the ECU reads the throttle requests. My theory is that it's not just the request angle that matters, but the speed of the blip to that angle. Of course that may be due to ECU programming of the drive by wire, or simply due to the throttle body being before the supercharger. Dunno.

Plus I don't think the mapping is linear anyway. There is certainly a more eager response available in Sport mode vs Tour, which lends Sport to over-revving on a blip, while you're learning it. That does mean that it's probably best to pick a mode and stick to it, to get the blips really consistent. 

1 hour ago, MARTIN_S said:

Just had N installed. It cost £40 but feel that's worth it easily. Great help from Phil at Bell and Colville

£40 ain't bad. JCT wanted £108 from me<_<

Ps. I know what you mean about the blip. I have wondered whether ecu has decided your driving sedate for a while it lessens the aggressiveness of a blip whereas if your on it for a time it sharpens it up as it does seem completely random to the input sometimes. Still better than an autoblip though :P

Edited by RedViper

Thanks Martyn, that all makes sense. My vx had the throttle body before the sc and that blipped beautifully so am guessing its the mapping and the other things you mention.

I am almost always in Sport mode but race occasionally (that will be used mostly on track) and am now trying to find a method that works more often than not as it seems around 50% success rate at the moment.

At least you get the feeling that as Lotus learns more and more developing the 350/380's etc, they are passing on that knowledge to improve earlier cars.

Martin

3 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

Just had N installed. It cost £40 but feel that's worth it easily. Great help from Phil at Bell and Colville.

The car somehow feels smoother and possibly has more grunt lower down. It started to pour and I drove a lot in 5th and 6th along quick winding dual carriageways and it just pulled happily and felt great all the time. My previous map was L.

I went to get this as I have been trying to figure out why this car wont blip very easily going down the gears and have now just decided that's simply the way they are.

I have driven 4 other cars this week (vx220, Mini cooper S, Peugeot 107 and TVR Tuscan) and all blipped very simply without even thinking about it whereas the exige seems to do it when it fancies it, but I will persevere

Martin S

Hmmm, now wondering if I should get version N installed in mine. I'm happy with L that was installed a few weeks ago, but sounds like the newer version is even better. Can I ask what year your car is please?

2 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

I am almost always in Sport mode but race occasionally (that will be used mostly on track)

Martin, you may not be aware but race mode is effectively the 'idiot' mode which turns on all the computer mastery which then allows you to stamp on the throttle all the time and not worry about driving.  Sport will allow more slip but OFF is the only way :-)