free hit
counters
New Model Tease... - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

New Model Tease...

31 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Agreed - and what make of tyre is the 285? Can anyone tell form the pic?

Writing and position of the 'o' on the rhs for 'outside' suggests it's a Michelin Cup 2

• Like 2

Black n gold

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
23 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Next size up would be 225/45/17, would increase ride height at front yet again.

Should be able to lower with damper adjustment, looks like loads of room under wheel arch too.

That would ruin the roll centre and  at the same time put the arms at horrible angles

Edited by Seriouslylotus
  • Like 1

The whole strategy seems a little confusing also ....when you can have the basic car and option it to a cup or whatever type of car doesn't seem to me like a real model strategy....so are we going to have a 350, 380 Sport, 380 Cup, 380 Race ?? 350 Sprint LF1, light ?? super light ??? wide ?????? ...... ????? WHAT ELSE ??? People will start waiting for the real new model before buying a new one....or will get angry to be outperformed buy the new one when they just bought the..... new one....of 3 months ago..... Lotus should be a little more focused.....

• Like 1

What's with all the speculation about the front tyres?! First it was 'I'd rather they increased the width of the front tyres' (based on zero track experience of the Sport 380) and now it's 'they'll ruin it if they do'. Criticising Lotus for something they haven't done yet is a new one!

All we know is that the rears are 285/30 so it looks Like Lotus are making a step forward for mecahnical grip, an intriguing and unexpected one for me. As Stubox wrote, it looks like they are trying to up the ante to create more of a gap to the Sport 380. I believe this is because they didn't leave much room for further weight loss, increasing power brings complications and further expense, not really viable for tiny production numbers so they have had to find another way of making a step. Going by the teasers it looks like it's mechanical grip and some more downforce. Fair play to Lotus if this is the case, they could have just gone full carbon and put some Cup stickers on it. No doubt there is an element of justifying what could be a major price hike but at least those the owners could have some laptimes to show for it. 

Very excited about this car now but have my fingers crossed the RRP will begin with a 7 and not an 8!

I think you started the speculation didn't you? At least that was what I was responding to.

Must be Michelins surely? And who's to say the fronts won't be wider too?

Maybe I have missed something, but I don't think anyone was criticising Lotus for changing the front tyre spec.

I read Dave's reply as it is not a good idea for one of us to put larger tyres on the front as the suspension geometry won't like it, now if Lotus have done something to make it work that is a different story.

I was hoping that a few here might want to return to discussing what we do know about the car, instead of what we don't.

I think you're being a bit literal here Gary, easily done online of course but 'who's to say' is another way of saying 'nobody knows' so I think discussing the pros and cons of wider front tyres is a touch premature in this case.

No doubt Lotus would be pleased either way, their teasers appear to be doing the job.

Yes the rear tyre is wider but do I also see some threads and a collar on that suspension on the left above the caliper? Does it come as standard with nitrons? 

So far it looks like it has

wider tyres

nitrons

Carbon exterior parts

Front arch vents/ better aero

and possibly a wider flatter version of the 380 wing

If all that is correct then I may actually be forced to relieve my wallet of all its contents and then some.

I am down at hethel next week for the factory tour and track day so i do hope there is one kicking around.

• Like 2

As I said previously " a chunk of change" more than a 380 was mentioned to me. And speculated this maybe  another 15 to 20k on top of the 380 price, and thus would I pay it?

So bearing in mind the spec I chose for the 380 I have "on hold" is in excess of 80k list, it all depends. But then again who knows what this car is. Someone mentioned 311 with a roof, that's a good call, as I heard the sales figures for those weren't performing as well as expected.

Still, can't wait to see what it is.. and I do have to agree with Gary, in that you buy a new car and it's superceeded in a matter on months is really pants, shocking to be honest. As 

that means we are being used as cash cows. More profit for not a lot of change.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

As I said previously " a chunk of change" more than a 380 was mentioned to me. And speculated this maybe  another 15 to 20k on top of the 380 price, and thus would I pay it?

So bearing in mind the spec I chose for the 380 I have "on hold" is in excess of 80k list, it all depends. But then again who knows what this car is. Someone mentioned 311 with a roof, that's a good call, as I heard the sales figures for those weren't performing as well as expected.

Still, can't wait to see what it is.. and I do have to agree with Gary, in that you buy a new car and it's superceeded in a matter on months is really pants, shocking to be honest. As 

cheers

Mark

Can't be a 311 with a roof with the side scoop image. Besides: There would need to be doors as well to such a configuration of the 311 to get in and out and I hardly think they would be taken directly off the Exige if that was the case...

14 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

cheers

Mark

I agree with you on the topic of the number of models which makes me feel like they don't know what to do to keep it alive til the new Exige... but I have to admit, the 350 was an improvement, the 380, a step forward....what's coming I don't know but I do hope... I can replace my 360 Cup with this new comer....... but Lotus should be a little more focused.... they'd rather improve the press coverage of their cars in terms of test, review, track test, comparisons, duels, etc....since beside the usual press comments at  time of release, there's not much going on..... try to find comparisons of performance between the V6 Cup, the 360 Cup, the S, the 350, the 350 and 380, 380 vs cup, etc..... it's a little bit of a desert in the specialized press..... whereas you can find all sorts of comparisons between all GT3s models of Porsche.....

And a full option 380 or 380 with motorsport parts is not a new car to me....and I hope they didn't go that route... you can have racing parts on your normal car, and maybe pay less....We'll see....since nobody anyway will know until it gets real...and in terms of buzz..... beside the few blokes around here I didn't see much of a buzz elsewhere......coming back to my comment about the press coverage......

49 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

speculated this maybe another 15 to 20k on top of the 380 price

So that would make it a £82K - £87K base price plus another £5k for nice paint and a few little option and you could easily be heading for a £90k+ car. I just cant see it personally. I love my exige and this one looks like it could be even better but I paid £58k for my fairly high spec v6 less than 2 years ago so that would be a big jump.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what they launch.

So if I follow the logic here  a 380 Cup would retail for around 85k base with a 911 GT3 RS as its unwilling direct competition (The sport 380 can match the 911 GT3 we already know that) so that only leaves the RS.So "hum" at 83 to 87K base this 380 Cup would be a frickin bargain for some.  It will evidently be a limited edition for the few connoisseurs around. I expect it to sell well at Lotus AM-Ring.

So how long between new variants would be better? If Lotus only had the Sport 350 then I would expect to read criticism that they aren't doing enough to update the Exige. Special editions seem to annoy many too, usually on the grounds that they aren't a significant update. Whatever this new variant is, it does appear that it might be more of a step than some had expected. Let's deal with the price increase when it's revealed. Not many understood the value the original V6 Cup offered at the time, a similarly spec'd V6S would have cost more.

I'd also like to challenge this assumption that whatever this new car is will supercede the Sport 380 in every way. It's entirely possible that it will not be the better choice for everyone. For some the Evora 400 remains the better choice over the Sport 410, it's significantly cheaper too so I don't see the grounds for Evora 400 owners with a good grasp of their intended use for their cars to be getting upset about the 410. In the event of desperately wanting a 410 but not being able to afford it (or justify it) then that is unfortunate but welcome to a very large club. I can't see the grounds for recommending that Lotus reign in their development. JMG has been up front about the new platform in 2020 so he has to do something to maintain interest in the current line up. If the Sport 410 is anything to go by I say the more the merrier. If there was an updated Cayman GT4 announced there would be nothing but celebration!

Far too early for anyone to be getting upset in any event. JMG promised lighter faster updates and lots of them, on this at least he is delivering. Anyone who thinks the updates aren't significant enough for the price should wait or pick up a great deal on a stock Sport 350 - still great value for money. If updating new models proves to be an unwise strategy then Lotus will have to learn the hard way. Nothing we can do about that.

I for one can't wait for the full reveal, I really wasn't expecting this so soon. Never saw the Elise update with the new gear linkage coming either but I think that's a great move.

If unsure, don't spend a fortune on a new car, wait until they make something that proves so irresistible you don't care what they come out with next.

• Like 2

My reading of the rear tyre picture:

• Michelin Cup 2 (size, fonts and text layout are a match)
  • Nitrons (yes, the collars are right)
  • Floating rotors (not the standard fixed two parts at least, both bell and rotor are scalloped and I could be seeing bobbins)

Nice to see Lotus pulling out so many stops :thumbup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crouchy said:

wider tyres

Cheers!

i am new to this Forum.

Interested in the Exige 380, maybe Cup.

I live in Switzerland, drive my 987S in the alps predominantly, occasionally on track.

Did a lot of upgrades to my car and are very interested in technical topics, quite busy in the PFF Forum.

Just last week i had the opportunity to drive the new 380. Really extraordinary piece of kit... more race than street car, IMHO.

https://www.pff.de/porsche/index.php?thread/2778509-caterham-485s-vs-lotus-exige-sport-380-vs-wiesmann-gt-mf5-v10/&postID=154498979#post154498979

for those of you proficient in German....

AFAIK the Lotus does not have Brake Steer like the McLarens, so i think getting wider Rubber is the way to go, like we ve seen it with the 991GT3RS vs GT3 or the likes of Corvette C6, C7 etc... The wider the front and rear sections, the higher the speed through the turns....

What i do not get is that with the non legal Race 360 and 380 they deliver an LSD but not with the street legal versions....

I hope for a lighter 380CUP, exclusively from Lotus Motorsport with wider track/sections and the LSD taken from the 380Race...

Regards

Oliver

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Supercrosser said:

I hope for a lighter 380CUP, exclusively from Lotus Motorsport with wider track/sections and the LSD taken from the 380Race...

One thing is for sure: it won't be built by Lotus Motorsport, as it does not exist any more. I'm not sure if this is really important. Were LM built cars better? 

All these new parts are great, but it's inevitably going to increase the price. With a reasonably well spec'd 380 sport into the early 80s sterling, how many of you are really going to spend 90k sterling plus on one of these (or, I guess EUR120k plus)? My car 2 years ago was 60k, and I just don't see this being 50% faster (around Hethel/Spa/the galaxy or otherwise!) or 50% better, whatever better may be. You could buy an 18 month old Sport 350, with the new gear linkage etc, spend 15k on more power (Komotec or SSC, you choose), an LSD, ohlins and a second set of wheels with semi slicks and you would have pretty much the same car with a shed load of cash left over. Put it this way, it's not going to tempt me to change my car, although no doubt it will look great and have an awesome spec to tempt the people who can't buy a GT3...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gashead1105 said:

All these new parts are great, but it's inevitably going to increase the price. With a reasonably well spec'd 380 sport into the early 80s sterling, how many of you are really going to spend 90k sterling plus on one of these (or, I guess EUR120k plus)? My car 2 years ago was 60k, and I just don't see this being 50% faster (around Hethel/Spa/the galaxy or otherwise!) or 50% better, whatever better may be. You could buy an 18 month old Sport 350, with the new gear linkage etc, spend 15k on more power (Komotec or SSC, you choose), an LSD, ohlins and a second set of wheels with semi slicks and you would have pretty much the same car with a shed load of cash left over. Put it this way, it's not going to tempt me to change my car, although no doubt it will look great and have an awesome spec to tempt the people who can't buy a GT3...

I agree and come back to my previous comment that a car with the full options or different options, is not a new car.....hopefully the coming one is really SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND/OR NEW....and not a 380 with additional options.....

Agreed! I was hoping it would over yesterday. Must be this week surely?! :sleeping:

Interesting that it has slightly wider rear tyres than the 311 (275/35/R19), which had 225 front tyres but on an 18" wheel.

The claimed downforce figure will be interesting. Just for reference when the time comes, the claim for the Sport 380 is 140kg at top speed, Sport 350 is 88kg at top speed. The 311 (Road) makes 150kg at 150mph (almost identical to the Elise 220/250 Cup).

• Like 1