free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Cup 380 - Page 41 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Exige Cup 380

TLF News

5 hours ago, The Pits said:

I can't imagine the cost of doing all this (Cup 430 money and more I suspect) but the results are pretty spectacular if you can find a track that will let you make that much noise. Or live near Monza.

One of the few good things in Italy is that most of the tracks will let you in with any exhaust during non official events.

Even if they got noise restrictions they could probably by mistake walk on a microphone and damage it :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

BTW I really do not get all that noise limit comedy

Only complaints I would think right is that if some people buy a calm country house and then someone later come build a circuit and disturb them...

Other than that why would anyone buy a house or go live near a well know and old circuit and then complain about the noise...

It s as if you go to some well know party place as Ibiza buy an appartment in the most crowded place by night with music pubs and people dancing on the beach and then complain about the noise...

Then apart of that even in places like zandvoort they let you know where the microphone is.... so every noisy car could go slower near the microphone but then make all the noise they want in the rest of the circuit all year long....

How is that an advantage for the neighbours anyway?

And then of course it seems that in most of the places with strict noise rules on the track you can drive usually on the road with any tuned exhaust....

If anything in Italy they will bother people with modded exhaust on the street but not on the track that even if still not pleasant at least is more logical that you should follow street rules.

In uk not even lotus follow the track exhaust noise limits for their track focused cars...

But dont get me wrong for many many things it s much better to own a sports car in uk than Italy or france

Just now, Maxi_z said:

How is that an advantage for the neighbours anyway?

They bought a high cheaper since it's next to a noisy racetrack and hope if they curtail activities, it'll be worth more. We call them NIMBY's in the UK, Not In My Back Yard.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes got that but even for people like that if the only real difference in noise is a car letting off the trottle for 5 seconds over a 1 minute lap the real noise is about the same so nothing will be worth more if the real noise of every single car is not noticeabli lower all the time.

I would pay more to live within earshot of Brands Hatch! Totally stupid trackday noise in the UK but Zolder was the worst of any track I’ve been to. 

How is Mugello for noise? I really need to get back there.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Maxi_z said:

Yes got that but even for people like that if the only real difference in noise is a car letting off the trottle for 5 seconds over a 1 minute lap the real noise is about the same so nothing will be worth more if the real noise of every single car is not noticeabli lower all the time.

Because they believe that if they complain and campaign enough that eventually the circuit will get closed down and the noise ALL goes away, they make shit loads of money on their investment, sorry, I mean home.

@Bibs is a gentleman and calls them NIMBY's. I'm not and call them what they are, Twats  (Troublesome W@nkers And Their Spouses)!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

7 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

It s not my car its another exige cup 380 in Italy that is fitted with a full 2bular exhaust and they just fitted a sequential gearbox.

I don t know but I think that they should depress the clutch for downshifts

You technically can fit those sequential gearbox to not use the clutch but usually they fit the parts to upshift without clutch but not downshift

I think it was the first trackday they did with the sequential so probably the driver should get used to it and they can fine tune everything

Maxi, you are correct  ….. looks like with that setup, it would be wise to use the clutch on downshifts if you want the transmission to last (maybe even some heel-toe for a proper "blip" on downshifts).  Also, it appeared to me that the upshifts were rougher than need be (really upsetting the car, especially when the driver grabs a gear upon corner exit), almost like the ignition/torque cut was too long/great if there is a "flat-shift" option. Alternatively, perhaps the driver needed to get his "throttle-lifts" timed better.  Driver will get better with more seat time using that gearbox.  People think it's like an automatic, but there is a proper technique to getting the most out of sequential which basically comes down to timing -- especially true for longevity of the parts.

It also looked like the gearing may have been too low especially for that track….check out the video at 6:09 point …. it appeared the driver needed to stop his acceleration in 7th gear on the straight (holding the rpm's at redline) while the shift lights were flashing away??

Do you know which 7-speed sequential was installed, the one sold by KT(Kaps) or ….. ????

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

In my opinion they made a mess with gear ratios there. Car does not seems faster than mine (I compared time from end of Parabolica to straight finish line), but it arrives to end of 7th gear before end of the straight. Basically on any longer straight it would be too short, probably at Imola and Mugello as well, not even talking about Autobahn...

Shifting of the X-Trac sequential ….. during break-in on track shortly after taking delivery in late 2014….

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Today I went to see a Cup380 in person. Agree with all comments made about the carbon, excellent quality, going by a few stickers hidden on some of the carbon parts i'd suspect the items are manufactured by ProDrive. I also managed to size the wing, the wing is 1400mm (inc end plates) wide and 300m deep (chord). This mirrors what I have/had on my car. This is interesting as it re-iterates that based on a rear hatch mounted wing 1400mm is probably the maximum to go, any wider and you risk damage to the fibreglass/clam. The rear engine hatch has also done away with the the hydraulic boot openers and instead has a rod type hold up.

What I did find interesting was these little internal mounts:

mount.thumb.jpeg.711822eb444ffbb4658606bd74a3be30.jpeg

It would appear Lotus have installed these internal boot mounts to support the rear part of the wing support bracket. What was surprising was that these mounts don't go to the floor of the boot or anywhere near the chassis. Instead they fix to the rear of the fibreglass clam, specifically a bracket that surrounds the reverse light. Can anyone explain the logic as to why they may have mounted in this way vs just straight to the boot floor? Im guessing to minimise any loss of boot space maybe.. Either way the idea of these supports is quite simple to fabricate and given me some ideas for my new wing adventure over the winter break.

In the boot, I couldn't see which model of the lithium battery is the one being used, but it is horizontally vs vertically mounted, Lotus are supplying the Optimate trickle chargers with the car as standard. I could see no battery cut off switch anywhere in the car or in the boot so I'm assuming owners are being asked to ensure the car is on the Optimate at all times when left unused. A nice boot located battery cut off would have been a nice touch I feel as not everyone wants to connect up their cars every time they park up. 

Outside I was surprised to see the wing vents being 'blocked up'

vent.thumb.jpeg.90b16d0ff036a9b84664b76301984f85.jpeg

Maybe folks with the Cup380 can confirm if this is just an 'optional extra' for those worried about protection from stone chips... or have we got another TVR situation where the car is marketed as having proper wing vents and aero benefit but in reality they're bunged up and just for looks once in production.

Now those side vents - Can someone confirm if the side vents are real or carbon 'look'? If carbon look its a very good job! 

IMG_8295.thumb.jpeg.e5bc4b9c76ea6188fbc5ba0b23efb830.jpeg

From the outside/side view they look very nice, and definitely a wider aperture for air, however I feel the fixing could be improved as they look a bit 'stuck on'. I wouldn't be spending the quote figure in the range of £1,400 for these vents from Lotus parts. Wait for Eltech to bring out a solution. The front service hatch in carbon and with the 'v' paint striping looks awesome and I think really transforms the car, sometime in the next 12 months I think i'll be moving in this direction. 

I did manage to have a good sit inside and it feels a nicer environment to my V6 although it did remind me how little side/bolster support the standard seats have compared to the Tillets. It is a shame the A-Frame, fire extinguisher, and electric cut off aren't included as standard - It felt like something was missing and I sense is an option a lot of owners have probably discounted from their builds based on the cost. Which again is a shame given this is a Cup edition.

I left the dealership impressed on one hand, frustrated on another (as I still think its very expensive), and quite chuffed (on my third hand if I had one) that I feel my little old V6 has a lot of life in her still and has the bandwidth to evolve further as I upgrade her to my preferences and needs. 

• Like 2

www.alias23.com

@alias23 good job resisting to buy one of those ;-) ... I noticed the same on the wing vents recently. I think they are „blocked“ as a standard to prevent stone chips etc. ... maybe its an easy open?!? Would be very interesting to hear more from one of the Cup 380 owners on that ... 

Agree, the wing vents aren’t blocked, poke your fingers in there and you’ll find a whole. Same with the GT430 it’s a solution to reduce peppering of the windscreen with stone chips. GT430 press car still collected a lot of grit in that area, they were working alright. Very extreme idea for a road car, very cool/daft according to your point of view as a result. Has caused me to spend a lot more on PPF though!

Modding is always cheaper route to more performance than buying new. Nothing new there. But is a Komotec car actually worth any more afterwards than a stock one? Maybe in Germany because they all seem to be Komotec’d but the general rule of modding is you don’t get any of the money back. Big return in terms of fun though obviously!

I poked around for a good five mins with my hands and also looked up from underneath. I couldnt spot any openings. If there were some openings tucked away, I dont see how they could be effective compared to how the lhd version was, as they were open loud and proud on that car. You could spot those were open the second you looked at them.