free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Cup 380 - Page 31 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TLF News

Lotus Exige Cup 380

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So how does the 380 compare to the 458?

Up or down or no comparison as they are very different cars?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

11 hours ago, ramjet said:

So how does the 380 compare to the 458?

Up or down or no comparison as they are very different cars?

Totally different cars. But as I prefer to track the car often the 458 cannot compare with Lotus.

25 minutes ago, rs200evo said:

Which grey is this?

Metallic grey.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, razad said:

Totally different cars. But as I prefer to track the car often the 458 cannot compare with Lotus.

Metallic grey.

Re 458: thats intersting ... because its slower or because of its running costs when you track it a lot?

The 458 still is high on my list but probably as a Speciale ... would anyway keep my Exige though ...

Performance to $ is a lot higher in the Exige than it is in a Ferrari. Ferrari must be a lot quicker, unless on micky-mouse circuits. I think to properly track a Ferrari you definitly need deep pockets, but this concerns all modern supercars I guess.

Very nice car btw!  :wub:

• Like 1

354bhp/tonne in the exige 380 cup  vs 378 in the 458 Italia.  The lighter weight benefits in the braking and handling department for the Exige, plus the torque of the supercharger means you don't have to have it singing it push on in the Exige as much as the 458.

Biggest advantage of the 458 over the Exige is the gearbox and the friendly handling nature which makes it a lot easier to get it dancing than the Exige, which has a bit more bite to it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NW76 said:

Re 458: thats intersting ... because its slower or because of its running costs when you track it a lot?

The 458 still is high on my list but probably as a Speciale ... would anyway keep my Exige though ...

Well, running costs are high of course. 
But you cannot drive 10 hard laps with the 458 because brake cooling sucks.The Speciale might be a bit better but here in Sweden some have added their own cooling solution for the brakes.
Furthermore the stock suspension setting is not optimal either and you have to atleast get some lowering springs to be able to get more tire camber.
And of course you have the auto gearbox that might not be perfect but lets you as the driver focus more om steering, gas, brake.
Out of the box you should not track it. But for cruising it is perfect, it is a Ferrari after all. :)

Edited by razad
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Waky said:

Performance to $ is a lot higher in the Exige than it is in a Ferrari. Ferrari must be a lot quicker, unless on micky-mouse circuits. I think to properly track a Ferrari you definitly need deep pockets, but this concerns all modern supercars I guess.

Very nice car btw!  :wub:

Actually I also considered the 570S and the Huracan for a little while before the Cup 380 was released but those cars are similar to the 458. Even if you afford to buy them it doesn't mean owning is affordable. Running costs are high and if you want fun for your money none of them will get near the Lotus.

• Like 2

I guess the throttle response is when all is off ? It is weird because on the normal v6 I feel like there is a compensatro actuatly to increase the throttle on heel and toe .. DO you plan to fit the LSD then ? 

Cool, it looks similar to mine, I think I saw a few Instagram pictures of this beast! I will take mine to Hockenheim next weekend, I am so excited about trying it!

Where do you feel the lack of slip differential? Slow sharp turns? Does it unsettle the car or what is the effect you get.. I lack experience on this side.

Did you changed regulations for the Nitron for track? Looks like standard compression is quite soft while rebound is very aggressive, with 6 behind. Any feedback?

Hope we see around some time.

Ciao!

1 hour ago, Maxi_z said:

I did not change the nitron settings when on track but yesterday I noticed that also my nitron were not setted as the manual say but similar to yours at around 6 from full closed in compression

I still got to drive it with the manual suggested settings

Oh, that sounds interesting.. I asked to the garage where I got the car and they say the settings were made by Lotus.. I wrote to Lotus asking about a potential mistake in the  manual and they say I should use the one on the manual.. what the hell!!

The settings were quite different: 6 compresion all around and 11-12 rebound front and rear. Could you check what you have for rebound also?

After the garage put normal setting I feel the car more comfortable and handling looks good although no experience yet on track.

I suppose on track, from standard settings, I can harder a bit compression, (maybe to 10)  but not sure what to do with rebound..

OK I'll move the diff related posts over to the Diff debate.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cristiano said:

Oh, that sounds interesting.. I asked to the garage where I got the car and they say the settings were made by Lotus.. I wrote to Lotus asking about a potential mistake in the  manual and they say I should use the one on the manual.. what the hell!!

The settings were quite different: 6 compresion all around and 11-12 rebound front and rear. Could you check what you have for rebound also?

After the garage put normal setting I feel the car more comfortable and handling looks good although no experience yet on track.

I suppose on track, from standard settings, I can harder a bit compression, (maybe to 10)  but not sure what to do with rebound..

I already put the manual settings but I think it was set similar to yours with the compression around 6 or 7 all around and 11 or 12 rebound front and maybe even more rebound clicks on the rear

I think that it was ok but not perfectly setted on track

I would think that the manual setting would be better to start with

On 30-10-2017 at 14:40, Maxi_z said:

Hi To all

On track It feels of course more powerful but slightly heavier than my exige cup 260 and around a twisty track it s about the same lap time considering the older car had some modifications.

The car is overall excellent the brakes are really good considering the std brake pads that shoould be ds2500 and I really like how the nitron dampers work even comared to the older ohlins or to other brands of competition suspension that I tried on other cars as penske proflex or intrax (even if all of them are really good)

Other known things is the lack of throttle response for blipping the throttle on downshifts and the too low rev limiter too close to the peak power.

I would really like to know if someone can remap the throttle response or if that poor throttle response is due to other things as ecu low end mapping or cats or other?

VERY nice car ! 

I hope I am wrong but I read exactly the same experience as I had on my 380. 

Put it on a dyno and check your figures matches the claim Lotus makes. I hope I am not right in my feeling.

Anyway with a hard limiter exactly at the peak performance you loose around 20hp in reality for sure.

Pls check my dyno result where you see the ecu gives you a huge amount of torque at low rpm and not at all in a nice curve. This gives drivers a good feeling,  a lot of wheelspin and a good 0-100 result, but...........(in my car) it masks the (in my case for sure) the false (marketing) figures.

Your experience is very very close to mine on track. A lot of Lotus fans didn't believe me untill I had the hard figures.

I can tell you I have a totally different car now. If the car would have performed as told, I would never had to go to Komotec. But now happy I have been there. They did a honest and very good job. 

22 hours ago, Cristiano said:

Cool, it looks similar to mine, I think I saw a few Instagram pictures of this beast! I will take mine to Hockenheim next weekend, I am so excited about trying it!

Where do you feel the lack of slip differential? Slow sharp turns? Does it unsettle the car or what is the effect you get.. I lack experience on this side.

Did you changed regulations for the Nitron for track? Looks like standard compression is quite soft while rebound is very aggressive, with 6 behind. Any feedback?

Hope we see around some time.

Ciao!

Indeed you are right on the settings, I have many difficulties to get it right. I will test (normally) on thursday at circuit Zolder. 

Edited by Jokke Vlo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

I already put the manual settings but I think it was set similar to yours with the compression around 6 or 7 all around and 11 or 12 rebound front and maybe even more rebound clicks on the rear

I think that it was ok but not perfectly setted on track

I would think that the manual setting would be better to start with

This is my standaard Track setting:

Front bump 3

Rebound 4

Rear bump 4

Rebound 4

I rather put bump harder instead of softer I have to change.

Sometimes, on fast tracks, I have understeer on corner exit, it helped to change rebound to 6 even 7 wit front bump on 4

But I never felt really "good" on Nitron, I would think it needs stiffer/shorter springs on track. (but as I like to use my Exige for road too I didn't change)

On 10/31/2017 at 16:30, Jokke Vlo said:

This is my standaard Track setting:

Front bump 3

Rebound 4

Rear bump 4

Rebound 4

I rather put bump harder instead of softer I have to change.

Sometimes, on fast tracks, I have understeer on corner exit, it helped to change rebound to 6 even 7 wit front bump on 4

But I never felt really "good" on Nitron, I would think it needs stiffer/shorter springs on track. (but as I like to use my Exige for road too I didn't change)

Thanks for sharing your settings! You go very hard with them, but I guess that is normal for a pro!

I am not sure if spring are different from Sport to Cup, given that road settings from Lotus are different. Maybe we can verify this with some pictures.

I will start from road settings and progressively get harder on the bump. Rebound is 9 and 6 already.

My dealer soften front sway bar for track and added a bit of camber (-1.3 from 0.8). He told me to have more a non reversible modification has to been made. But to start I hope this is OK.

By the way: I saw your video - amazing sound!

Edited by Cristiano

On 10/23/2017 at 14:16, nerobi said:

Have you noticed that they say

"The dampers offer a range of 16 settings in compression and 20 in rebound, and Lotus recommends a ‘road and track’ setting to stop customers getting into a setup muddle."

However that is not correct as in the manual only road settings are written..

Edited by Cristiano

2 hours ago, IcemanTM said:

For the joy of the "very last exige, the last last and no more will be done, the 380cup" owners:

http://www.lotuscars.com/news/corporate/new-lotus-exige-cup-430-unlimited-edition

... is this a joke? I mean: for those like me that bought a "limited edition 380 cup" with the promise of having something "exclusive" this is basically killing the value of our cars, that was presented only 5 months ago.

Would have been ok if they produced 10 of these.. but unlimited...

• Like 1

Exclusivity and Lotus parted ways a long long long time ago. They will ship 'new' versions of the same car incessantly. 

Exclusivity, where it exists is largely down to lack of sales.

Edited by cbaileyuk