free hit
counters
S2.2 Engine Cover Holes - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
S22fan

S2.2 Engine Cover Holes

Recommended Posts

My engine cover has 2 holes (equal size) on the RHS. One has elephant trunking passing through to the air filter. Am I missing a second pipe or is the hole redundant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You should have 2 pipes. 1 goes from your airbox/filter to the vent in the boot on the RHS. The second goes from the RHS 'Ear' into the engine bay to blow cool air in.

Pete


Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a photo? It would be helpful to see what my end result should be. My workshop manual is useless on these technicalities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to TLF Marian. :welcome:

I missed your earlier posts. You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.


All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PO of my S2 has patched up and painted over the ducting hole on the engine cover. From those pics, looks like there's some kind of bracket fixed into the engine cover where the two pipes go in? Is this available anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is not really a bracket. There is just a fiberglass piece with 2 holes mounted to the side of the engine cover.

http://37335951612_95b45ca22a_c.jpg20170928_073614[1] by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

The biggest hole is to enter the duct to the airfilter. (white tube on Pete's pictures) The airfilter takes its air via the left ear-trunkroom so the air flows under the rear glass of the reardecklid.

The smaller hole is to feed fresh cooling air to the engine compartment under the engine cover. This is fed via the right ear

Edited by gvy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Geert! It's clear what I'm missing now. Haven't seen it on the SJ site, might have to ask Steve if he wants to add this to the range.

Edited by Freemason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to have the oval cover for the air pipes custom made by SJ is going to cost 240GBP. Ouch!

Don't suppose anyone has a second hand one lying around they want to clear out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/09/2017 at 11:24, Freemason said:

So to have the oval cover for the air pipes custom made by SJ is going to cost 240GBP. Ouch!

Don't suppose anyone has a second hand one lying around they want to clear out?

Did you ever obtain one? My engine cover is missing it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No haven't found one yet! I wish someone could reproduce one at a reasonable price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a perfect one that came with my S2.2, even if I don't think to fit it is not for sale as I will keep it for the new owner of my car if I decide to sell, sorry guys...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brief how-to for you lads: 1) - get approximate measurements of the thing; 2) - obtain some insulating foam board from the building supply outlet; 3) - stack and glue board to target height, line mark the desired outline of finished piece, sand the thing to create a buck or plug; 4) - tape the buck over with standard packing tape and lay up epoxy/cloth which will release readily from the tape surface; 5) - cut/drill as desired, aerosol with satin black and - presto! - there's your piece! What else to do with all that spare time?😉

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, drdoom said:

Brief how-to for you lads: 1) - get approximate measurements of the thing; 2) - obtain some insulating foam board from the building supply outlet; 3) - stack and glue board to target height, line mark the desired outline of finished piece, sand the thing to create a buck or plug; 4) - tape the buck over with standard packing tape and lay up epoxy/cloth which will release readily from the tape surface; 5) - cut/drill as desired, aerosol with satin black and - presto! - there's your piece! What else to do with all that spare time?😉

Cheers

Great minds think alike. I was discussing this solution with a friend last night who is good with fibreglass. I didn't want to post it as I've found people can sometimes be derogatory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S22fan said:

Great minds think alike. I was discussing this solution with a friend last night who is good with fibreglass. I didn't want to post it as I've found people can sometimes be derogatory.  

. . . or was it "fools seldom differ"? 😉

Nothing more intrinsic to the Lotus universe than clever craft, I'd say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...