free hit
counters
alias23 aka Kung Fu Panda - Modified Exige V6 - Page 18 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

alias23 aka Kung Fu Panda - Modified Exige V6

On 22/08/2018 at 00:04, alias23 said:

Thanks @Jack and @W31SSN very much appreciated! After a few calls seems as though Forge Motorsport have offered to supply me a solution with one of their PiperCross boxed setups (looks near identical to the ITG) so may investigate this as an option. Anyone got any intel on ITG vs Pipercross as some what naively assuming they're all pretty much the same filter/design. 

Pipercross version is also the one Lir in France is doing.

boite-a-air-carbone-pour-exige-v6.jpg

@Jack I always wonder how these "boxed" filters (so with the snorkel attached to the filter box on one end and on the OEM side pod on the other hand) handle the dirt ingress?  I've heard about a Komotec airbox (basically same principle) full of gunk after 1500 road kms to the extend the engine was running real bad (the owner is on the forum here, maybe he can chime in)?

I'm under the impression that an "open style" intake like Imran is running (nice to see your intake is still going strong Imran 😉) is less prone to get clogged up?  On the other hand, I'm sure that at idle you see higher IAT compared to the "ram air" version.  Any insights?

Edited by Kristof Thys

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Pipercross version is also the one Lir in France is doing.

boite-a-air-carbone-pour-exige-v6.jpg

@Jack I always wonder how these "boxed" filters (so with the snorkel attached to the filter box on one end and on the OEM side pod on the other hand) handle the dirt ingress?  I've heard about a Komotec airbox (basically same principle) full of gunk after 1500 road kms to the extend the engine was running real bad (the owner is on the forum here, maybe he can chime in)?

I'm under the impression that an "open style" intake like Imran is running (nice to see your intake is still going strong Imran 😉) is less prone to get clogged up?  On the other hand, I'm sure that at idle you see higher IAT compared to the "ram air" version.  Any insights?

You can run the ITG filter w/o the "box" if you wish....I've gone both ways. ;) 

FWIW, in my experience, the enclosure protects the filter from possible damage, keeps it cleaner and reduces heat intake.  I haven't had any "gunk" issues .... yet.  I do clean/swap the filter out twice a year and of course, my car only sees track use.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

On 24/08/2018 at 12:38, alias23 said:

@Jack what where the benefits of upgrading to the ITG from the HKS? Power or maintenance improvement?

New weigh in today and lost a little more weight ;)

A924925F-656D-4C61-885E-C6BE815B9CE2.thumb.jpeg.e8f5efa09c65db155bf9c63dba325244.jpeg

Imran, I can't verify any power increase based upon seat of the pants feel -- as with any cold air intake, it has to be minimal -- 5-10HP, maybe????.  

My race shop recommended the change as it's their opinion  that the ITG is better than the HKS filter in all respects....flow, filtering capacity and presumably some power benefit.  

Other so called experts I have spoken with have also suggested that the HKS filter is not the best option, for what that's worth.

Keep that diet going .... remember every 10 pounds is allegedly worth 1 HP.  :D

• Thanks 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 15:00, alias23 said:

I’ve always had a slight disapproval of the mirrors and mounts of the Lotus Exige. Im led to believe on the S3 the mount design had a slight tweak with a narrowing of the actual mounting to ‘streamline’ the design. That said they still remind me of this…

1907810448_MiniMetro.jpg.a1f9d2f9775ebbd7664f4d28da4359eb.jpg

For a car which is £50K let alone now £100K+ Lotus truly need to stop dropping into the bulk buy of mirrors they did with Rover back in 1980 and get with designing a cleaner sleeker setup. 

With this in mind I immediately thought of going down the Transforged route, when their V1 and then V2 mirror design came out I truly thought they’d ‘nailed in.’ Regardless of the choice I eventually made with my install, the Transforged design in my mind is close to visually perfect for the Exige. 

However over the past twelve months I’ve started to become worried about the quality of the mounts. Multiple reports of ill fitment, poor manufacturing materials, unfinished products, and cracking of the mounts. Not what you’d want to hear or worry about when buying a product which commands a very high cost. 

So I’ve been looking for an alternative solution for some time and thought I’d share my research and end decision. Searching the web checking what the folks in the US and Japan had to offer brought me to two alternatives to Transforged. 

RezoSport

RezoSport.jpg.bf3ce2bd78c63627cf40ddebf73a8e18.jpg

RezoSport use a very ‘SPA Design’ mirror housing and then custom CNC machined mountings. The package just felt too bulky for me.

APR Performance
APR.jpg.ba96c6587e2cfa1fb459ed716cdc03cc.jpg

A sleeker mount design against the door pillar vs the RezoSport option. Again very ‘SPA Design’ mirror housing and the silver bolts could be replaced easily with anodized black alternatives to improve the look. However, after quite a bit of searching, I just couldn’t find any more information and later found supply of the product had ceased. 

It became clear that there is basically very little aftermarket options available for the Exige platform. However both options APR and RezoSport seemed to use the SPA Design style of housing which on some UK orientated research seemed to be the default answer for those looking to swap out the metro mirrors for a more track orientated option.

Problem I had was that the SPA Design mirrors just remind me too much of Caterhams and the boxy style even though cleaner and simplistic than the metro mirrors still felt as though it lacks a sleekness I still wanted to achieve after seeing the Transforged design.

So back to the drawing board and I investigate the mirror housing Transforged use and after some digging and much research found the mirrors and housing come from a tuner called Magical Racing. A Japanese company that specialize in high quality custom carbon parts primarily for motorbikes and largely made to order.

They offer a number of mirror houses to which after a bit of photo comparison and ‘guess’ sizing I figured the Type 4 design was the one I’d fallen in love with on the Transforged solution.

MagicalRacing.jpg.dd488ed632c6c190bec7080dcdeb5a85.jpg

Now came the question of how to mount. Magical Racing have a mounting system very similar to the one used by SPA Design but available in various lengths and widths.

545953853_MRacingMounts2.jpg.1ad4ca88b64f9e62d2d76252fff92779.jpg

For the base of the mount I measured out the C-Type bracket as being the best option to fit and align with the two bottom OEM holes on the door pillar. 

However the arm of the mount was unknown as to what would be best. Unsure of what size I really needed I decided to order a set of the Type 4 mirrors with the Super Long Elbow System but with an additional order for a set of Long Stem.

1801119865_MRacingMounts.jpg.ae0fee3866093fd01c98715c637f3017.jpg

Note the Super Long Elbow consists of the Super Long Stem, so in theory this gave me three mounting options to test.

So impulse order placed, monies spent, and the wait began on my four week built to order lead time! 

MRacing Mounts.jpg

Hi Imran,

is the rear visibility of the Magical Racing mirrors better than OEM mirrors? Do they reduce the blind spot?

Thx a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2018 at 10:15, Sebastian Ritter said:

Hi Imran,

is the rear visibility of the Magical Racing mirrors better than OEM mirrors? Do they reduce the blind spot?

Thx a lot.

Yes the visibility is better! Sorry for the delay responding!

www.alias23.com

15 hours ago, Petr Sebesta said:

Hi Imran. I am halfway through this topic (enjoying it very much btw.), so sorry if you have covered this, but....you had some tasty track machines in the past. How does the Exige compare? Any laptime comparisons?

Thank You!

I think somewhere in the thread I did a proper post but here’s a brief summary.

E46 M3 CSL - Epic car, the amount of carbon fibre is just unprecedented, cabin is a great blend of function and form. The sound of that engine with the carbon snorkel is addictive. The SMG was a tad slow and the only part of the car that in my opinion let it down. That said I do miss the car.

R35 GTR - WOW so many fond memories... being invited to driving days, attending charity events and scaring the hell out of people. For sure a car with immense pace and acceleration. However becomes quite boring as a drivers car quite quickly. The 6 month servicing (now 12 months) also very costly. As a GT car for motorway and everyday I do miss it, and often look on ads to check prices as I would have one again as an everyday car if I could afford.  It is not a drivers car.

997.2 GT3 ClubSport - I could write pages on this car but will keep it simple. The best drivers car for road and track I have ever owned or experienced. The perfect balance. I miss this car literally and genuinely every day!

Exige V6 - Longest car I’ve ever owned and the one which has helped teach me how to drive.

I would find it difficult to sell the exige but if (when) the Porsche bubble bursts I’ll be moving very quickly back to my love ... the 997.2 GT3 CS

11 hours ago, chumaxa said:

I am also thinking inokinetic gearshift, I know it has been done in France on V6s, which I could get more comment about it ... Are you still on that option ? 

From what I’ve read I’ll be doing the cable re-adjustment (as it has been a while since they where checked over), engine mounts (as I do think my engine rocks), and most importantly gearbox oil cooler... before I venture again on the idea of a inokinetic kit.

• Like 2

www.alias23.com

7 hours ago, JPI said:

Hi Imran, I noticed on your latest pictures that you removed the rubber lip from your front splitter. Did it not work the way you expected it?

The front lip came off when I went off road at Anglesey a few months back... I haven’t had a chance to reinstall. It does make the car look a lot better IMO so will be making a return over winter. 

www.alias23.com

22 hours ago, Tex said:

Get over to Silverstone for a drive if you can, it’s Piston-heads Sunday event .

Sorry but family commitments today. I did manage to get out for a drive... wing seems to be flexing with the rear hatch so having to go back to aligning the rear hatch again over the coming days when I get a chance. 

11 hours ago, chumaxa said:

Stupid question, why did not you go for the full 380 panel ? Will you get the light front access panel ? 

The 380 panel from lotus is circa £3k, to be fair Eltech have a lower cost solution but still over a £1k. This was the most cost effective way to get more air into the engine bay. 

Front panel I’ll probably pass on I prefer the current front look.

www.alias23.com

Hi Imran,

I was wondering if you did compared the weight of the louvred panel vs. the rear windshield glass?

In one of the Lotus press releases of the new cup models they were referring to a weight saving of 0,9 kg. Sounds a bit low to me to be fair...