free hit
counters
alias23 aka Kung Fu Panda - Modified Exige V6 - Page 6 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
alias23

alias23 aka Kung Fu Panda - Modified Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You're pretty much there compared to the Cup spec, the only stuff left in yours that really spring to mind is the passenger airbag and security stuff (alarm, immobiliser, central locking etc). Oh, and the sun visors.

Of course Cup cars have weight added back in in the form of the Extinguisher system. It would be a useful endeavour to get a standard V6 Cup on the scales as I take a lot of figures I read from factory with a pinch of salt. I think Jonny weighed his, and of course was absolutely standard.

3.0 DELETED ITEMS

The Lotus Racing Exige V6 Cup car does not have the following equipment which is included in the standard road vehicle and may be referred to in the Owner’s Handbook

3.1 Security Features

This vehicle is not fitted with either remote or central locking. In order to lock each door, the ignition key must be used to manually lock each door lock.

Neither the alarm nor immobiliser is fitted to this vehicle. The vehicle is immobilised through using the electrical battery master switch.

3.2 Hard Trim

This vehicle is not fitted with NVH pads, passenger footrest or bulkhead trim.

3.3 Radio

This vehicle is not fitted with a radio or speakers. 

28 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

You're pretty much there compared to the Cup spec, the only stuff left in yours that really spring to mind is the passenger airbag and security stuff (alarm, immobiliser, central locking etc). Oh, and the sun visors.

Of course Cup cars have weight added back in in the form of the Extinguiser system. 

Then do I have my weights wrong as that additional stuff doesn’t add up to the 46Kg I’m estimating (1176-20 = 1156Kg) is still the difference between me now and the Cups claimed 1110kg?

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Then do I have my weights wrong as that additional stuff doesn’t add up to the 46Kg I’m estimating (1176-20 = 1156Kg) is still the difference between me now and the Cups claimed 1110kg?

My 360 with forged wheels and lithium battery is 1090 kgs with enough fuel for the light to be off

5 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

My 360 with forged wheels and lithium battery is 1090 kgs with enough fuel for the light to be off

So where’s the weight shed?

3 hours ago, alias23 said:

The original plan was to re-wire the 'convenience pack' USB power supply

few hours later... something happens in the alias23's garage ... where is the dash !!!! :thumbup:

did you remove the rear window ?

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=11371&MAK=1&MDL=40&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

• Haha 1

We should have a day when we weigh our cars and see how they compare... 

I reckon I could arrange to borrow some scales?

• Like 1

Door cards, steering wheel, sound proofing, nitrons , wiring harness, single pane bulkhead glass....think it’ll be sum of many small parts, but in theory you should be able to get below it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

We should have a day when we weigh our cars and see how they compare... 

I reckon I could arrange to borrow some scales?

Everything's a competition ;)

Imran: looks like an interesting journey .... btw you should go for the lightweight battery ... in your car this will bring you down 12-14kg ... lightblox has a good solution ... 

9 hours ago, Stubox said:

Door cards, steering wheel, sound proofing, nitrons , wiring harness, single pane bulkhead glass....think it’ll be sum of many small parts, but in theory you should be able to get below it.

Thank You!

Any idea how the door cards are different on a Cup?

I hadn't thought about the steering wheel, good call, as i've already upgraded to the Cup setup. I don't have my original steering wheel any more, what weight do you reckon? 2Kg saving given it also inc the air bag?

Hadn't thought nitrons would have a weight saving benefit tbf...

Im no way going down cutting back the wiring harness but can see how there could be a bit of weight saving.

I had thought about the single pane bulkhead glass but found its bonded in which = pain in the ass, and for a 1-1.5Kg weight saving decided to pass. It is interesting to see the 380 using polycarbonate!

Forgot i've also got an ali radiator any idea if that has any weight saving benefit?

9 minutes ago, NW76 said:

Imran: looks like an interesting journey .... btw you should go for the lightweight battery ... in your car this will bring you down 12-14kg ... lightblox has a good solution ... 

If you also replace the carrier it's 16.5 kgs when using a Braille lithium battery

• Like 2

Thats a big one in my opinion for a V6 S ... @Seriouslylotus do you know how much the weight saving would be vs the V6 Club Racer battery?

6 minutes ago, NW76 said:

It's already in motion buddy ;)

Hopefully in the next few weeks, ideally arriving whilst I'm on paternity so I can make a template and get a battery mount fabricated lol 

Got quite a few bits and bobs being fabricated, device holder, button mount for the hazard and door locks now I don't have a centre console (it will make that area look a lot tidier), battery mount for the Li, and possibly internal boot mounts for the wing. Getting a lot of help from Forge Motorsport who have been taking my designed templates and then fabricating these parts for me.

2 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

If you also replace the carrier it's 16.5 kgs when using a Braille lithium battery

Then hurry up with my order lol

1 minute ago, NW76 said:

Thats a big one in my opinion for a V6 S ... @Seriouslylotus do you know how much the weight saving would be vs the V6 Club Racer battery?

I could be wrong but I think I read on an old 'replacing battery' thread that the CR also uses a Varta but a smaller version. Circa 7Kg weight saving I think it was estimated but still uses the bulky OEM battery mount from memory. Now I have the battery and mount out I can confirm the OEM mount is a very heavy for what it is!

• Like 1

Great! Sooner or later I might go down that road as well... the internal boot mounts for the wing sound very interesting. Let me know when you have them installed... I might order some from you ;-) 

8 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Hopefully in the next few weeks, ideally arriving whilst I'm on paternity so I can make a template and get a battery mount fabricated lol 

Imran : if you have them fabricated, on the PC680 format, I'm in to have one if it's not stupidly expensive and if it can run the costs down  ! I chose the Powerstart battery (185x192x79mm, same as Odyssey PC680), for its CCA power and its weight (https://www.mylithiumbattery.com/shop/12v-lithium-ion-battery-packs/12v-lithium-ion-starter-battery/powerstart-12v-starter-battery-600cca/)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, French Frie said:

Imran : if you have them fabricated, on the PC680 format, I'm in to have one if it's not stupidly expensive and if it can run the costs down  ! I chose the Powerstart battery (185x192x79mm, same as Odyssey PC680), for its CCA power and its weight (https://www.mylithiumbattery.com/shop/12v-lithium-ion-battery-packs/12v-lithium-ion-starter-battery/powerstart-12v-starter-battery-600cca/)

I think my sizing will be different to those dimensions I'm afraid buddy. I think the battery I'm going for will be 195 x 130 x 181 mm.

ok, no prob ... PC680 brackets are quite common, but I reckon they're rather expensive for what they are !

PC680_2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1449173261

I think I'll end up with a home made piece of aluminium  ... better made than this one :blush: !

attachment.php?attachmentid=15274&stc=1&

My CR weighed in at 1160Kg fully fuelled. (no NVH, radio etc)
I've since added, forged wheels and 2bular exhaust so should be under 1150.

Lotus once claimed there could be up to 12kg difference in clams. IMAG0923.thumb.jpg.9e68ea1418d1b56cb5dea6c02f83ee28.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quantum2000 said:

My CR weighed in at 1160Kg fully fuelled. (no NVH, radio etc)

That sounds good as I remember the CR was marketed at around that weight. Assuming you're a 40L tank and .8KG/Litre then you're about 1128KG (or 1117Kg with your wheels and exhaust). 

Going by what @Seriouslylotus numbers he's at 1090Kg (with probably about 4L petrol) so 1087Kg. Dave's lithium battery, louvered rear hatch, and ali bells probably make up the 30Kg difference between yours and his...

Im assuming all the Lotus weight numbers are based on full tanks?

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Im assuming all the Lotus weight numbers are based on full tanks?

ISTR that Lotus have been picked up in the past for using (useless) dry weights.