free hit
counters
A journey into track days - Page 11 - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

A journey into track days

BatMobile

7 hours ago, 550superfast said:

@Crouchy are these rubbing the on the clam/wheel arch or on the inside?

@550superfast Having run them for a while I have decided that its not the offset that's causing the issue but more the rolling diameter. Its seems that the tyre is catching on the vents at the front of the wheel arch liner. It only catches when you hit the stoppers on full lock so its not an issue most days and it went through its MOT with them on. If it really bothered you, you could file back the vents a bit to stop the rubbing.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@550superfast They seem fine on track. I was at spa 2 weeks ago and even through eau rouge there was no rubbing and its pretty high compression at that point. Its purely just when the steering is on full lock. The other thing to keep in mind is that the tyre wall is also much taller so your front ride height may need adjusting too.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Currently on my way to MSAR to try on a bunch of different helmets. Have always hired a helmet when doing trackdays in the past but have decided it is time to swallow the cost and get my own decent one.

Any tips/guidance on what I should be looking for other than a decent fit?

You'll need full face if you want the roof off at any point and have a quick read through this - https://driver61.com/resources/racing-helmet-buyers-guide/ 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks @Bibs. Was torn between Arai GP6 Ped and Bell RS7 Carbon. Both felt good to me, had all the features I was looking for, and are future proof for whatever I end up driving/racing in the near/medium term.

In my opinion the Bell looked slightly more badass, was very comfortable and a little cheaper. Also full carbon, which is always nice.

But ended up going for the Arai as it seemed to fit me best around the top of my head, felt quality, and was more “bespoke” in terms of padding options. Also slightly lower profile which I thought might be useful given that the Exige cabin can be a little cosy with the roof on. My other concern with the Bell was that the padding was noticeably more plush/fluffy out the box, which felt nice now but makes me wonder whether it will become too loose/sloppy over time (and no ability to replace the padding to the same extent as the Arai).

Ultimately they are both great lids and I am sure I wouldn’t be disappointed with either of them.

Malcolm was very helpful in the store and we had a great natter about cars, tracks and drivers etc. He is openly biased towards Arai, which also swayed me towards them in the end. He is going to build up the helmet for me and it should be ready early in the New Year. In the meantime, I have a nice Arai key ring to look at!

• Like 2

Got my lid there as well. Expert advice and fitting. I bought full face because even if you have a solid top there are many generous Caterham drivers out there at track days, many of whom are willing to offer you a ride. 

• Like 1

Hi @Mattmahope. I went for the Bell GT5. I didn't have the budget for carbon and I will not be racing (although I did compete in a sprint this year and now, thoroughly hooked, plan on doing a lot more in 2019). I wanted a really comfortable track day lid as I've been doing about a dozen each year. I'm very pleased with it as it just seemed to fit my skull shape. The only downside for a full face for me is that I'm a glasses wearer and you have to feed them back through the opening once its on. Approaching the first bend at Snetterton last year i realised it all looked different.....I had left them on the roof of the car in my enthusiasm to get out there!! Luckily they were lying undamaged in the pit lane.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Guys I need some advice, I have a go pro hero 5 and will be buying one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BTAH62/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

As they seemed to get good reviews - back on track will be installing it through the car when it goes to have its work done by them.

But what overlay software is best - I am not one for overly complicated software, it would need to be reliable and simple and I don't want to spends 100's on it. I appreciate an AIM or VBOX is an all in one but its total overkill for my level, I need a good starting package. 

So what are you running to provide speed/track/car position etc? 

Also about to get a few things done at backontrack:

larger arb and track geo - do people just go with backontracks set up or is there anything I should ask them to do?

bc forged wheels with 215 front and 285 rear - anyone else running these sizes on a 350? Any issues? Back on track suggested 265 rear but would want to go larger if possible. 

2 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Also about to get a few things done at backontrack:

larger arb and track geo - do people just go with backontracks set up or is there anything I should ask them to do?

bc forged wheels with 215 front and 285 rear - anyone else running these sizes on a 350? Any issues? Back on track suggested 265 rear but would want to go larger if possible. 

I can’t comment on their track geo as I don’t know how they setup the car.. but I’ll be interested to get your feedback ref the ARBs. Out of interest which ones are you buying?

I felt an improvement moving to Cups with the 215 front. I decided to stay 265 rear... my rationale being I want the car to still have some play at the rear where as with 285 that’s a lot of grip (assuming standard power). 285 felt overkill for me personally.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

Thanks @alias23 I can get why you would stay on 265. 

I plan to up power at some point, this year is about me improving as a driver again and adding carbon/wheels. It gets expensive quickly doesn’t it! 😳

will feedback on the arb upgrade once it’s done. Let me check on which one it is, haven’t got the details to hand.

Thinking of using racechrono with a 10hz bluetooth receiver and an obd2 for my GoPro. Anyone else used similar? Any particular ones I should buy? 

15 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Thinking of using racechrono with a 10hz bluetooth receiver

That's what I use, you can then analyse the records with Circuit Tools. I use Qstarz BT-Q818XT and it works fine :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vd9 said:

That's what I use, you can then analyse the records with Circuit Tools. I use Qstarz BT-Q818XT and it works fine :)

Thanks @vd9 that's great - can you advise me how you set it up - was it simple? In terms of an OBD2 which did you go for and again was it a simple install?

@BatMobile, it just connects to the phone with Bluetooth and works fine, never had an issue with it (I use Android phones). For the dongle I have very similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scanner-Gemwon-Adapter-Diagnostic-Wifi-Black/dp/B0721DC46Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QPNRJSBAXDZD8GHJCGCZ which worked fine at all times (I bought it probably 10 years ago). I did not really use it much with Exige yet, but will try tomorrow and let you know.

Edited by vd9
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You will be amazed at how that set of mods will transform the car, you’ll find yourself having to re-learn everything 😅.

Also worth changing the pads if you are still on stock, biggest difference per £. I recommend Performance Friction 08 (as do many others on here).

• Like 1

Hi @BatMobile. I see you prefaced your piece with "As the season is due to start". Well, I'm ahead of you, with track days at Bedford and Brands Indy already completed. Totally agree with your observations on the benefits of good coaching. However, I'm sure both DP and JL would wish you to progress to the next step, especially as you have all that flash gear.....competing. 

To this end, last year I was encouraged to join Brighton & Hove Motor Club (B&HMC), get a sprint licence and compete in their 'Bailey' sprint at Goodwood. What a hoot. I'd never competed in any motorsport before but what a magic day. I was so pumped for my first practice run that i damn near ran the car straight off the road on the first bend. Anyway, got my head, and heartbeat,  together and in the end after 4 runs got beaten by my buddy by 0.24 secs on his last run. Now totally pumped for the rematch on 11/5, along with another member from this page. Anyway, i'm not sure if you have competed before, but if you haven't I can thoroughly recommend a little sprinting and I've signed up for a few as you can see below.    

So, what else do you have booked? I've got:

Goodwood track day (LOT) 16/3,

Brighton & Hove Motor Club (B&HMC) Bailey sprint at Goodwood 11/5,

Brands Indy evening (LOT) 22/5

Motorsport at the (Crystal) Palace sprint 26/5

Bilsterberg and Spa (LOT) 27/7 & 29/7.

Brighton & Hove Motor Club (B&HMC) Eagle sprint at Goodwood 3/8,

Brighton Speed trials 7/9. (I'm told the atmosphere's great, which is why I'm going to be there)

Hopefully see you on track again this year Alastair.

• Love 1

@Colin67 love that. Sounds an absolute blast, likewise hope to meet up on track soon as it would be good to see you and I’d also like to pick your brains on the sprints. Do they have different classes? 

Wow you are ahead of me, good work on having so much already completed. Putting the rest of us to shame! 

The only one I have booked is April 3rd at Silverstone gp through gold track. Though this year I plan on getting a good chunk in the diary.

i can’t do the LOT goodwood as it’s too quiet for the exige but I may well pop down to watch if the weather is nice. Take a few pics and say hello.

@W31SSN are the pads prone to squealing? I know race pads do but it would just piss me off. Do they shed a lot more brake dust? 

Edited to add I am laughing at your fancy gear comment l! 

@BatMobile yes they do have different classes in the sprints, although they can embrace a wide range of cars and power spectrums. If you can make Goodwood on the 16th I'd be very happy to share my limited experience of sprinting, at least I could let you know what's required to get into it.  Equally the B&HMC events are open to the public so coming to either sprint at Goodwood would give you an enjoyable day and provide the three Elise Cup entrants with a little support. BTW, if you can make 16/3  bring your lid.

Its a pity you cannot make Spa. You probably know that David Pittard is competing in the '24 hours of Spa' for Walkenhorst racing in the Blancpain series and he is going to be staying over on the Monday to coach three of us, using our own cars, during the track day. Its likely we could have included a fourth.  

FYI, Pascal, it is highly recommended to NOT use motorcycle helmets inside cars. (It’s something to do with how they are designed to react on impact). 

However, that does look like a cracking design. 😁 Why not buy a proper trackday helmet and then get someone to transfer the design across?

Thanks for the advice Jonny.

My track ambitions are very limited, just looking to have a couple of rounds on famous end less famous race tracks. Just the experience, not seeking personal best or track records 😀 Yet I was seeking my own helmet suited for my needs and complying with safety regulations.

My Lotus dealer (also competing in LCE) has those helmets on offer. He told me that they are suitable and I purchased one. At my own risk...