free hit
counters
A journey into track days - Page 13 - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

A journey into track days

• Gold FFM

Glorious start to the day which is a welcome relief given the forecast said snow then heavy showers only 48 hours ago!

1404C8F9-1FA2-44E7-91EA-FFB6C49D9A66.jpeg

Some serious cars here today, followed a yellow lambo performante in and already seen a fair few gt3 rs’. Plus some race teams.... 

6FAEA695-5BB0-4CC7-B5F7-4DF1CE3EA310.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the season is due to start I thought I would provide some reviews of the products I have bought and the services I have used for those who are bored and need some time wasting!  I'll start off

VBOX is the one....    you almost forget its there and all the things it’s capable of logging!  I’m a dealer for VBOXs, and for TLF members I’ll throw in a days Driver coaching, sy

have booked first track day in the exige  , an evening at Bedford on 25th july with lotus on track

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Wow what a circuit, amazing experience to drive around the same place as the greats have done. Albeit a lot slower!

So track day number 4 and a first time at Silverstone gp and it was amazing. Spent the day with @Jack Layton and we saw all the weather, sun, rain and hail! The track though stayed mostly dry from 11ish so we were incredibly lucky. Jack was amazing to work with as normal and taught me so much.

given I’d never driven Silverstone and I hadn’t been able to practice the circuit in any way due to the PS4 making way for a switch 12 months ago, meant the first few hours were an overload of info and me thinking “whats the next bend/straight again” more times than I care to remember.

morning laps started off somewhere in the early 3mins - typically between 3:10-3:20 but as the day wore on, the track dried out and I started to remember what was coming next we ended up with a best of 2:34; have no clue if that respectable but it was an amazing improvement given where we started the day!

I had a few ye haaa moments but this was great to learn weight transition and when to use brake or acceleration to shift it where it’s needed. I went from a deer in headlights doing nothing to correcting over steer and applying acceleration to increase turn in on fast corners. By no means an expert but I felt I took a leap skill wise today thanks to Jack’s tuition. 

I am now super excited to get the new wheels, tyres, geo and nitrons as feel they will be worth a good few seconds a lap given the corsa’s were again a let down and lost me time in numerous places where they just wouldn’t grip. 

Car highlights were the huracan super trofeo evo blitzing round. Amazing looking car and the sound 😍

Goldtrack were superbly run, best tdo todate and i will be doing more of their days for sure. Never too busy. 

5A2382B3-AD53-49C1-8D78-FB5CEFC92DDB.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BatMobile said:

best of 2:34; have no clue if that respectable

Better than I've got to in November :thumbup:

• Gold FFM

@vd9 thanks buddy, good to know it’s an ok time.

still struggling with heal and toe on full attack, at 80% I am fine but when I need to really aggressively late brake I still find it really hard; too much going on in my mind I guess. Guess more practice is needed to relax a little.

every time I do this I forget how tiring it is and renews my respect for the sheer talent and concentration levels pro drivers have/need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great to hear you got on well.  You did the right thing getting some tuition, it makes a huge difference and accelerates learning and confidence.  David is a great choice, top guy and a Lotus fan, many on here have used him and speak well of him.  I would recommend booking him again at a later stage once you've done a few more days as he can then help develop things further for you.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

@Ali tuck its so exhausting isn't it! I don't get like that at Goodwood, I'm thinking its because there are less cars on track and no race teams to worry about. 

David is a great guy isn't he, makes you appreciate the skill involved.

Id highly recommend using Jack Layton as well - you'll learn different things from each of them and they are both equally talented behind the wheel. 

Im guessing you got the "don't worry so much about what's behind you, its your day too, let them sort themselves out". 

@M4rk your track days looked amazing - would love to do some European days but with two small kids I'm guessing that's quite far away for me. Have you considered side skirts for your car - would really complete the aggressive look :)

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

Have you considered side skirts for your car - would really complete the aggressive look :)

They do make such a visual difference... 😜

www.alias23.com

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, BatMobile said:

@Ali tuck its so exhausting isn't it! I don't get like that at Goodwood, I'm thinking its because there are less cars on track and no race teams to worry about. 

David is a great guy isn't he, makes you appreciate the skill involved.

Id highly recommend using Jack Layton as well - you'll learn different things from each of them and they are both equally talented behind the wheel. 

Im guessing you got the "don't worry so much about what's behind you, its your day too, let them sort themselves out". 

@M4rk your track days looked amazing - would love to do some European days but with two small kids I'm guessing that's quite far away for me. Have you considered side skirts for your car - would really complete the aggressive look :)

Haha yes I also got the ‘don’t follow them that’s the wrong line’ I will also give jack a go at some point as well.

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, Ali tuck said:

Haha yes I also got the ‘don’t follow them that’s the wrong line’ I will also give jack a go at some point as well.

I still get that, it’s hard not to follow sometimes, they turn and your instinct is to also turn but they were on line and now you are turning early!

keep the updates coming as it’s great to hear others experiences. We need to all get more video up as well.

Nice write up @Ali tuck. I started in exactly the same way, Brands Indy with David. Did you have Davids VBox camera/data collection system on board? I found the video of David's laps particularly useful to study after the event, especially when you return to a circuit where you have had some coaching. I've also used David on a few occasions subsequently and will be again this summer at the Spa LOT track day in July, sharing him with a few Elise Cup friends. Mind you this is the day after his 24 hrs of Spa race for Walkenhorst Racing. We are assuming he will be so pumped there will be no problems staying awake!

Looks like your going to be a track day regular now. 

• Gold FFM

@Colin67 yes he did have the vbox,unfortunately at some point in the afternoon the lead became detached and we missed a chunk of that session but I’ve still got plenty to view from the morning.very jealous of your spa trip sounds epic....but you can’t run before you can walk!!!!

@Ali tuck. I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions on this forum for where to go next, but I can tell you its way more fun to tie up with a few like minded owners and go as a group. Since you are just getting started I would put Bedford on your list. It's a fun track with lots of variety and has tons of safe run off so you can progressively push the car with confidence. I've started the last two years with Jan and Feb days there. 

This is a great thread. Glad people are enjoying the cars on track.

I have to say that I recommend Snetterton 300 as a circuit. Good length and mix of corners with decent run off too. Brands also great and close to me, but Indy is too short and rarely seem to open up the full GP circuit. Bedford feels a bit too much like a giant car park for my personal preference, plus don’t they have really tight noise levels these days (even worse than other tracks)? The massive run off at Bedford is a great attraction though - especially when I spun my VX220 Turbo there at a decent rate of knots!

Hi @Mattmahope. Agreed that the Snetterton 300 is excellent, I always enjoy it. However, I've just checked a few track day noise levels and found Snett' 105 dBA for days and 102 dBA evening, however both have the same drive by limit of 92 dBA (not sure how they work that!). Brands Indy102 dBA, Bedford 101dBA, Castle Combe 100 dBA. I think the really low one you are thinking of is Thruxton at 90 dBA static. It's my local track, but effectively off limits as I typically record between 101 and 104 dBA and don't want to risk a wasted journey. Having said that I do know that Circuit Days offer a full credit for any cars that show up but fail the noise test.  I'm sorely tempted by this as the track is only a 40 minute drive away and Circuit Days are a good operator I've used before. 

@Ali tuck. When you decide where next, make a post on the forum and you will likely find others attending, especially for LOT days. Before you know it you will be part of a group, scheduling trips and having a ball with a load of new friends.      

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Colin67 said:

Hi @Mattmahope. Agreed that the Snetterton 300 is excellent, I always enjoy it. However, I've just checked a few track day noise levels and found Snett' 105 dBA for days and 102 dBA evening, however both have the same drive by limit of 92 dBA (not sure how they work that!). Brands Indy102 dBA, Bedford 101dBA, Castle Combe 100 dBA. I think the really low one you are thinking of is Thruxton at 90 dBA static. It's my local track, but effectively off limits as I typically record between 101 and 104 dBA and don't want to risk a wasted journey. Having said that I do know that Circuit Days offer a full credit for any cars that show up but fail the noise test.  I'm sorely tempted by this as the track is only a 40 minute drive away and Circuit Days are a good operator I've used before. 

@Ali tuck. When you decide where next, make a post on the forum and you will likely find others attending, especially for LOT days. Before you know it you will be part of a group, scheduling trips and having a ball with a load of new friends.      

Bedford is 87dba driveby  and well policed 😧

Hi @Tex. That probably explains why I got this shot at Bedford in January '18. Group of lads in hot hatches with a sense of humour.

1 (3).jpg

• Gold FFM

350 registers 102/103 at goodwood and 95 static but I guess it depends how far away the track microphones are on those other circuits.

for goodwood only do a 105 day otherwise you’ll be short shifting all day and it becomes quite boring, quite quickly. 

Im up for getting a group together for a track day out, makes it much more fun.