free hit
counters
Original or Restored ? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Original or Restored ?

Bazza 907

I'm in the market to buy another Esprit as I'm a real glutten for punishment.

I've come accross two early G Turbo's that are priced about the same.

One is totally original with low mileage, the other is quite high mileage but has had alot of money spent on it (mostly underneath).

The question I'd like your thoughts on is which is the better one to have ?

What do you reckon?

Bazza

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in the market to buy another Esprit as I'm a real glutten for punishment.

I've come accross two early G Turbo's that are priced about the same.

One is totally original with low mileage, the other is quite high mileage but has had alot of money spent on it (mostly underneath).

The question I'd like your thoughts on is which is the better one to have ?

What do you reckon?

Bazza

IF the restoration has been done properly , then buy the one that the PO has ' Blown their brains out' and spent fortunes on and cannot complete the task in hand as this should take you some way into a perfect car.

You will have to analyse your budget and .............'HOW MUCH' do you want that model ?. Also, are you going to keep it ,or are you on the way up to a later type, in which case hang loose and pounce when you find your dream !

Mike :)

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Thats a really tough question to answer. Having bought one that needed alot of work, my first thought is let somebody else spend the cash on it then buy it. It will also depend on the standard of work carried out. One mans excellent repair is another mans bodge. You can also get a great deal of satisfaction watching a poorly looked after car get back to a more appealing condition, although you can easiliy spend alot more than the car is worth with all the hidden work that needs doing and it doesn't actually look like you've got anything more for your money. If I was doing it all over again, I would take alot more time and be a little more choosey and find the right 'minter'. OK the really good ones will be more expensive and don't come on to the market that often, but will be worth it in the long run. Just my 2p.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hi Bazza not sure what to say is either a dry sump car .i know you looked at the essex car ,that they have now put the price up on .you have a fantastic car in your s3 fantastic condition , but if i had the money i think it would be nice to own a turbo .sorry i have not answered your question,good luck in your search mike S 3

Hi Bazza not sure what to say is either a dry sump car .i know you looked at the essex car ,that they have now put the price up on .you have a fantastic car in your s3 fantastic condition , but if i had the money i think it would be nice to own a turbo .sorry i have not answered your question,good luck in your search mike S 3

Mike I will be keeping the NA S3.

I would intend to keep the S3 Turbo for a long time and don't mind spending money on it (within reason) but just wonder if in years to come, if Esprit's ever finally become real collectors cars, will the one with original paint and interior be more desirable (worth more) than one that's been restored.

The restoration on the higher mileage one has been done properly and it's very good mechanically.

Bazza

I think it really depends on what you want to do with it after you've bought it.

If you go with the original, I think you'd feel guilty about making any changes, particularly to a g-car. With the non-original, you'd have more options. You could either go the restoration route, or make further changes without worrying that you'd be burnt at the stake for heresy.

Having said that it's your cash you're spending (I assume), so do whatever makes you happiest.

Phil

More speed, less haste

If you find a well made restoration then that is the one to buy for sure specially on Esprits as parts and labour are costly but avoid incomplete or not well done restorations as they are costly, if you go for an unrestored one then find one that is complete and unmolested

In my opinion a low milage mint condition all original Giugiaro Turbo trumps a restored version of the same car. Its the closest one can come to buying a brand new 1980s Esprit!

The original is a true representation of how the cars were built by Lotus and consiquently have added historical value over the "restored" example , which may have non original parts and been finished to a altogether different way/standard to the original car.

However some people are not happy with the standard to which the cars were built back in the day, so a highly restored example might be more appealing to a perfectionist type.

An amateur restoration might be great, OK or crap depending on who did the work and how much money was (or wasnt spent)

Also If the original has been sitting around It may well suffer from leaking seals and shock absorbers , spongy brakes, clutch slave cylinder playing up and electrical gremlins.

You pays your money etc.

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Can you LOOK at the resto one and tell its restored? If so it will never be as appealling as a mint original car. Cosmetics are the hardest thing to get back on an older car, oily bits can be fixed (even if it does cost

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I'd go for the low mileage original car. IMO it's nice knowing it's as it was when it came out of the factory doors and doesn't have mods (which could make it worth less). I also think Ian made a good point, "One mans excellent repair is another mans bodge." Reminds me of Curly John's Turbo Esprit that was absoloutely mint and perfect, then he found out it wasn't and needed a total engine rebuild.

Also, have you thought about Kato's Turbo Esprit? That's original and I'm sure he'd be please to sell.

Low milage, 50k between the two cars is a big factor in my book. Also being "unmolested" gives you the rare chance of giving such a beautiful piece of Lotus history a new life,... the way you want it done.

Think of it like decorating a house( not that you do that sort of thing!), yes you can get the bods in to do it all for you and the end result looks great, but do it yourself, put your own thoughts effort and love into it and the end result is fantastic. :)

Low milage, 50k between the two cars is a big factor in my book. Also being "unmolested" gives you the rare chance of giving such a beautiful piece of Lotus history a new life,... the way you want it done.

Think of it like decorating a house( not that you do that sort of thing!), yes you can get the bods in to do it all for you and the end result looks great, but do it yourself, put your own thoughts effort and love into it and the end result is fantastic. :question:

Thanks chaps.

I'll go and have a look at the low milegae one tomorrow and try and decide between the two.

Bazza

In what way is the restored one unoriginal? It may have all original parts rather than aftermarket parts. If so, I would think it would be the way to go.

On the other hand, you have an Esprit to drive so you could have one to play with in the garage. Depends on your patience and how much time (and money) you want to spend on it. Do you want a car to retore back to its former glory? And, if so, how original will it be when you are done?

I don't think the value of the Esprit will ever rise to dizzy heights of, say, the contemporary Ferrari V8 so a well-restored one will always be worth more than one that needs restoring.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I promise I'll post some pictures when I've dealt on one of them next week.

I'm leaning towards the low mileage original one with the thought of keeping my fingers crossed that mechanically it doesn't cost a small fortune.

• 3 weeks later...

I promised to put up a picture of the car if I did buy it so here it is. Apologies if it doesn't come out too well as I'm not used to attaching photos.

In the end I went for what I would describe as the more original with much lower mileage (20,500) - the one that hasn't been restored. It was a tough decision and until top Esprit man Gerald Turner has been through it I won't know how painful a financial decision it was.

Bazza

post-196-1175638957.jpg

Bl**dy H*ll! I didn't realise one of the ones you were looking at was an Essex! No comparison, you had to go for the Essex. Congrats! I'm really jealous. More pics and info as soon as you can please.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Bl**dy H*ll! I didn't realise one of the ones you were looking at was an Essex! No comparison, you had to go for the Essex. Congrats! I'm really jealous. More pics and info as soon as you can please.

WOW Bazza! Great find! hope you managed to get it at a good price too!

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

top man, congrats

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Thanks - The two cars I was considering were both Essex Esprits. There are/were 3 Essex's for sale at the time which fortunatley gave me the chance to compare all 3.

I think I paid a fair price although it certainly wasn't cheap. At the end of the day nobody with an Essex is going to give it away. I will only really know the cost once it's been fully checked over and sorted.

It has been off the road for quite a few years which I guess will be the caiuse of most of the problems but hey, somebody had to get it back into circulation.

Bazza

Really nice buy Bazza. You are going to have rather a nice looking garage. And tough Questions to ask yourself, like which Esprit shall we take out today?

Congrats on the purchase and when shes ready, enjoy the driving.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I don't think we've had someone on the forum having to choose between 2 Essex Esprits. Now wonder you were struggling. Car looks great. Hope it gives you many happy miles.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE