free hit
counters
Tramlining - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My S, tramlines I consider quite badly on the roads around Norfolk. It really pulls me about on some roads, I'd say it's the worst I've probably ever had in a car. I've had the alignment done his week - it was way off, however the camber on the back it's still a bit out as the adjustment bolts where seized. It's riding on 19/20's.

My question is : is this normal to have some tramlining with this car? I have some 18s all round that definitely ride much better

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Same tyres or different brands etc? I have had tyres that were bad, but then the next brand (different) were fine.

Might be an idea to free the rear bolts. Could that be the cause?

Has it always tramlined? When did you notice it?

Same tyres (PZeros) all new 2.5K miles ago. Its always tramlined since I brought it in Feb.

My Evora tramlines a bit, but its not excessive at all.

When you say you've had the alignment done, do you mean tracking, or full alignment including Camber and (front) castor?

I suffered horrific tramlinining on our 944S2. Changed to stiffer 968 bushes and had alignment done. It was also well out. The car was much better, but still pretty shocking.

Put up with it and when I finally changed the front tyres - it practically disappeared. 

I had assumed that the tyres would adjust to the corrected geometry, but it appears the wear pattern they'd taken when the geo was out was pretty much maintained. 

Hi @mik

I had full alignment including castor etc. Perhaps it's my tyres then but they've not get that many miles on them

I guess it depends how far out the settings were?

worth asking nicely for a test drive in a dealer car to compare??

I noticed my S starting to tramline recently.  It was particularly bad on the A17 back from Hethel last weekend.  I put it down to the worn fronts (PZero Corsas at 2mm) as I'd not noticed it previously but maybe the Norfolk roads are partly to blame.

Noticeable difference between 19/20" (Pirelli PZero Corsa) and 18" (Michelin Cup 2) on my car. Much better ride with the 18". Especially on some of the highways that are badly worn by trucks. I haven't had my geo checked but planning to do so next service.

When I first bought it, my N/A on original 18/19 inch wheels tramlined quite a bit. Particularly under braking on bumpy roads. The problem was eventually traced to wear in the drop links. The car felt hugely better after replacing them.

On 2017-5-5 at 14:16, mik said:

I guess it depends how far out the settings were?

worth asking nicely for a test drive in a dealer car to compare??

They were far out, and still not perfect. First thing is to get those adjustor unstuck/replaced and get the alignment spot on on the rear though I don't think that will make a big difference.

IMG_20170505_112447.jpg

On 5/5/2017 at 14:18, planty said:

I noticed my S starting to tramline recently.  It was particularly bad on the A17 back from Hethel last weekend.  I put it down to the worn fronts (PZero Corsas at 2mm) as I'd not noticed it previously but maybe the Norfolk roads are partly to blame.

I've now had Michelin PS4S fitted.  It's early days but the tramlining seems to have gone.

I noticed increased tramlining with tyre wear.  I've just replaced the very worn 20" rear PZero Corsa (with the same) and the tramlining is almost completely gone.

The tyres were worn much more on the inside so I can see how that combined with negative camber would cause tramlining.

Edited by alicrozier