free hit
counters
db reducers - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Yesterday at Brands my car (v6 exige S, 7000 mile old) recorded 101 db static, meaning I can longer do many of the tracks I normally would.

Has anyone found a way of adding db reducers to the pig snout original exhaust or can anyone recommend the best exhaust to keep the noise on road, but quieten down for track.

I've seen there are possible Komotec and 2 tubular exhaust options that may do whats required, but wondered are any in action.

Sorry if this has been covered before but a search didn't show anything about db reducers and am not even sure they would work on the standard Exige exhaust. On my previous car simple db reducers knocked off 4 db static with no apparent power restriction.

Martin S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that actually available now as no price is shown?

I had a 2tubular on my other car and it was good and its now on my daughters car (its like a weird family heirloom!).

Martin S

I put it in touring mode but they made me rev to 5250.

There were several; Exige V6's there on the day so they must have got wise to the valve opening point I assume.

Martin S

Edited by MARTIN_S

Valve will always open at 5200, unless you have a mechanism to force it closed.

We have a quiet silencer that did 84dB drive-by at Brands Hatch on a 460'd car... same car did 97dB on the same day on standard silencer.

Dave

2 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

I put it in touring mode but they made me rev to 5250.

There were several; Exige V6's there on the day so they must have got wise to the valve opening point I assume.

Martin S

I'm always asked where the redline is, to which I always reply that it starts at 6500rpm (slightly lower to be fair than the first shift light). On our trackday on Thursday (and at most days) I'm asked to rev to 4800rpm.

My car, with the same exhaust as yours, is consistently in the mid-90 dBs.

I said 6600 was the limit but maybe they had got wise to the fact that the Exiges are loud. Just need to make sure I can do the 98db Lot days at Goodwood now as that's my local circuit.

Martin S

1 hour ago, Hangar 111 said:

We have a quiet silencer that did 84dB drive-by at Brands Hatch on a 460'd car... same car did 97dB on the same day on standard silencer.

Is that the KT valved silencer, Dave?

1 hour ago, Hangar 111 said:

Valve will always open at 5200, unless you have a mechanism to force it closed.

Dave

So it's 5200 on non sport models?  It's 4,500 rpm on the 380 - I wonder why they lowered the valve opening point, as that's just asking for more problems with noise testing.  Is it 4,500 on the 350 too? 

Do we think some form of add-on DB reducer could be made to work with the pig snout style pipe?  Must be increasing demand as more sports are sold?

Edited by mickv

I think the 380 has a smaller pipe diameter than the 350, when the valve opens it is directed through a much larger diameter pipe. So I presume the valve needs to open sooner to protect the engine.

I might be wrong though ;) 

Correct...

On the 380/400/410 the "silenced" pipe is much smaller, as the unsilenced pipe is larger (3inch) thus the valve opens at 4,500

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Someone want to explain this db limit thing to me.

I don't get it.

It's a race track isn't it?

OH&S police? :bustedcop:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

1 hour ago, mickv said:

So it's 5200 on non sport models?  It's 4,500 rpm on the 380 - I wonder why they lowered the valve opening point, as that's just asking for more problems with noise testing.  Is it 4,500 on the 350 too? 

Do we think some form of add-on DB reducer could be made to work with the pig snout style pipe?  Must be increasing demand as more sports are sold?

Sorry, I mean the valve will always be open by 5200.

DB reducers are a sticking plaster, and will help to an extent, but you can't knock much off with them.

Dave