free hit
counters
Gearshift issues?? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My V6 Cup gearshift gives me problems when hot on track - particularly when selecting 4th. 

Any experiences of this - or any solutions?

Any advice appreciated - cheers. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gearshift does suffer when they get very hot but you have to be pushing pretty hard in my experience. Not sure how many laps you're going for at one time but I'd give it some time to cool down in the pits between runs and maybe do fewer laps. Take it easy on the first lap and give it a cool down lap at the end. Some have fitted gearbox coolers which might be something to consider if you're still having problems.

Thanks Jonny

Ill look into this. Must admit, we were not out excessively long so I would struggle to be any more "easy" on it. 

Is there a "motorsport cable" or another type of upgrade available do you know?

Also - the gearbox cooler - how much are we talking do you reckon?

Many thanks btw

Just a thought, it's worth checking your scoop in the undertray is clear, that feeds cool air to the gearbox.

13 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Just a thought, it's worth checking your scoop in the undertray is clear, that feeds cool air to the gearbox.

Great thanks - I'll look at that. 

47 minutes ago, C1RVY said:

Thanks Jonny

Ill look into this. Must admit, we were not out excessively long so I would struggle to be any more "easy" on it. 

Is there a "motorsport cable" or another type of upgrade available do you know?

Also - the gearbox cooler - how much are we talking do you reckon?

Many thanks btw

I have just fitted two temperature measuring strips to my gear box

I known it runs very hot on track as it melted the main change cable .

I have all the parts now sourced for a cooler kit that included the same pump, filter temperature port etc as used on the 380 and Evora 400

Will keep you posted on details.

SSC do upgraded cables

36 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I have just fitted two temperature measuring strips to my gear box

I known it runs very hot on track as it melted the main change cable .

I have all the parts now sourced for a cooler kit that included the same pump, filter temperature port etc as used on the 380 and Evora 400

Will keep you posted on details.

SSC do upgraded cables

Sounds like I need to pop over & see you Dave. Have you this kit available now?

The thought of upgraded cables is attractive too as I could do with a more positive feel generally if that's at all possible. 

Cheers matey

( love this car - but I do need to sort out that shift mechanism )

5 minutes ago, C1RVY said:

The thought of upgraded cables is attractive too as I could do with a more positive feel generally if that's at all possible. 

It's worth reading @alias23's experience of the SSC cables in his thread here:

@NW76 is one of the owners who has had a gearbox cooler fitted. It seems to have sorted the mis-shift issues. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've done the SSC cables on my car and it got rid of a lot of the problems. I still had trouble on track getting into 3rd gear.

I believe it's a combination of cable alignment and the gearbox needing cooling as components are expanding and putting things out of alignment?

If anyone brings out a reasonable price gearbox cooler I'll do it in an instant

6 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

If anyone brings out a reasonable price gearbox cooler I'll do it in an instant

How do you define reasonably priced...?

We've got a kit for a race car, but could be adapted for road car use quite easily.

Dave

9 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

How do you define reasonably priced...?

We've got a kit for a race car, but could be adapted for road car use quite easily.

Dave

Got to be honest, and no way pointing any fingers as it seems to be a global V6 added tax and Lotus themselves are the worst of the worst with their parts pricing... but it would be nice to see a new aftermarket item for the V6 having less than three £,000 after the list price. A fair price in my mind would be in the £550-650 (inc. VAT) bracket for parts.

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Got to be honest, and no way pointing any fingers as it seems to be a global V6 added tax and Lotus themselves are the worst of the worst with their parts pricing... but it would be nice to see a new aftermarket item for the V6 having less than three £,000 after the list price. A fair price in my mind would be in the £550-650 (inc. VAT) bracket for parts.

That sounds reasonable :)

On 5/30/2017 at 19:17, alias23 said:

Couldn't have put it better myself, spot on for me :)