free hit
counters
Propshaft balancing - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Propshaft balancing

And so the rear suspension rebuild progresses, and yesterday I slid the prop shaft out with a view to changing the u joints.  They feel pretty solid but for the few quid they cost it seem crazy not to do everything while the shaft is out.  And this 'everything' got me to thinking about balancing the shaft, the barrel is dotted with little metal plates welded on, these must be the weights from its original balancing.  The shaft itself doesn't telescope - which I'd assumed it would - and there's a rubber seal between the two barrels that looks suspiciously cracked.  And given the fact that new u/js will theoretically upset the original balance I reckon the whole thing needs a professional eye so I'm wondering if anyone has had theirs serviced, who by and how much I'm looking at.  Although as we know that's not a consideration cos we all just pay anyway!  Any recommendations gratefully received.

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly small radius from the propshaft centreline to the area that carries the weight, but it does spin at a fairly high rate.

Not sure of the maths of it though to know how much it would need to be out before you noticed it though?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Had mine balanced many years ago. This does reduce vibration at certain speeds that give resonnance (about 130 km/h in an Eclat)

Not that expensive as I remember, but as you say, "it seem crazy not to do everything while the shaft is out."

The old road tests also suggest the driveline was difficult to balance on these cars.

Good Luck

Neil

• Gold FFM

Changed a few UJ's in my time and never had to balance. Dans car maybe slightly different as old 22 is a race car and wil be harder pushed than the standard Eclat. The earlier cars with the 4 speed box had out of balance issues from new. One cure the factory tried was they attached some lead weight to try reduce the vibration through the gearbox.

Thanks as always guys, although I'm no closer to deciding what to do.  I think I'll clean it up and repaint it, fit new u joints and then have another think about getting it balanced.  Like I say it is already dotted with little metal plates so it has been balanced, and my Elite does have the vibration isolator weight mounted on the gearbox so some thought has got into this matter in the past.  Hmmmm...

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

Adding weight to cure vibration seems to fly in the face of the old Chapman adage "adding lightness", especially the lead lump on the gearbox - I seem to remember an earlier post querying the addition of the lead as some have it and some don't.

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?