free hit
counters
Front Suspension Frustration. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Front Suspension Frustration.

I received my new front suspension bushes and took them through to my mechy to install. Well, that was the idea and it should have been easy. They are the ones marked 14 (two of them) and 21.

On inspection, the bolt marked 15 on the attached is not a bolt but a threaded rod with a nylock nut on the rear and two nuts on the front. Unfortunately, the rod has seized inside the front bush and even with the nylock nut at the rear loosened, the rod will not turn as it appears to be seized solid.

On the passenger side, it is exactly the same with a threaded rod, not a bolt as shown, but at least this one is not seized and can be removed with difficulty.

The other problem is that the lower bolt that goes through the lower link assembly, the bolts on both sides of the car have been mounted with the bolt head at the rear of the lower link, instead of forwards, making it impossible to remove the bolt to replace the lower link pivot bush as the bolt is up against the fibreglass of the footwell.

My mechy has said that he will have to cut away the fibreglass to remove these bolts.

Can anyone comment on how this could have occurred on this 84 Turbo Esprit of mine and has anyone any suggestions as where to go from here?.

Esprit Front..jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only known the top to be a threaded rod, so not even noticed the image shows it as a bolt.

Is that threaded rod rally going to be viable after the bushes etc are removed? If not, then chop through it rather than destroy the fibreglass. new rod goes in via the footwell, as there should be a removable cover there.

Re bottom one, again, just push the bolt rearwards as far as possible, cut the bolt and repeat if necessary.

I think somebody may have had the body off, and not thought about later repairs.

Thanks Andy.

That top bolt / stud, does that run through a tube between the two halves of the upper section wishbone?

Whilst it was up on the hoist it looked as though there was but it does not show a tube in the attached general layout in the workshop manual.

Any ideas how to unseize the rod / bolt from inside the tube and bushes on that top one? We put a long extension on the socket but it would not budge. Diesel oil as a lubricant?

Not sure about your car, but on the S1/S2 there are removable cover plates inside the footwells that are there specifically to remove those suspension bolts. The bolt head passes through that hole and is removed from inside the car.

I hope this helps...

My 82 Turbo Esprit had some bitumen type sealant patches which covered the top wishbone nuts and at the bottom are 2 metal circular plates which I believe give access to the lower bolts.

In the image you can see I have made holes in the bitumen patches as I needed to ensure clearance for lifting the body off. I didn't need to remove the lower plates as access wasn't an issue with the body off.100_1650_edit.thumb.jpg.2ddcd9df4ae5ba5b82e67098d315c963.jpg

:) 

It's getting there......

10 hours ago, jonroberts said:

Not sure about your car, but on the S1/S2 there are removable cover plates inside the footwells that are there specifically to remove those suspension bolts. The bolt head passes through that hole and is removed from inside the car.

Yes, I was under the impression there are holes with bungs in them specifically for removing those suspension studs on the S3s as well. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk