free hit
counters
Flap valve actuator - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jussi

Flap valve actuator

Jussi, there is a guide to changing the timing belt with the engine in the car on The Lotus Esprit Fact File www.espritfactfile.com/Timing.html. The guy who wrote it, Jim Seippel has no problems at all with the job (hes an American, they never admit to any problems) :D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Jussi, there is a guide to changing the timing belt with the engine in the car on The Lotus Esprit Fact File www.espritfactfile.com/Timing.html. The guy who wrote it, Jim Seippel has no problems at all with the job (hes an American, they never admit to any problems) :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easy job :) I think I call to Jim to change mine :)

Crankshaft pulley on my car is really stucked, we haven't found proper tool to get it out. Tomorrow we will make a tool for the job... and then I can sell it to all :D

Bad luck, Jussi. When I changed my timing belt i got prepared with pry bars to lever off the pulley. I did the fit the spanner and bump the engine over with the starter trick as advised in the LEW article and the bolt came loose, took it out and the pulley came off in my hands.

Sounds as though you need a puller. Put the bolt back in the end of the crank but do not tighten it fully. Leave it 3 to 6 mm clear of the pulley so the pullry bears on the end of the bolt and not the end of the crank and damages the thread. Spray some WD40 on the crank and pulley and fit the puller legs over the pulley and wind away. Be careful not to break the pulley, though.

When the pulley is off, put the bolt back in and wind the engine around to the correct TDC again as using the starter to undo the bolt will have lost your position.

While the belt is off, check your water pump as you have to remove the belt to get the pump off on some engines as one of the bolts is behind the auxillary pulley.

Good luck!

Trevs advice is good, you should check the water pump(mine was starting to leak when I did my belt) You can rebuild them with a kit (got mine from Dave Bean Engineering in California) :D

Thanks guys :D

Pulley is now off, we made "a special puller" for it. I will send photos from it later.

Maxima's timing belt looks identical to Esprit's :)

Tomorrow we (hopefully) could put the parts back...we'll see does it run anymore :)

A lot has happened since last post :)

Timing is now where it should be so car was actually running. Maxima's timing belt was identical to Esprit's.

But then we checked some pipes and removed from left side A.I diverter

valve (cause it's useless now). We plugged pipe to catalyst.

Then we checked right side and there were lot's of pipes some broken and

some loose.

Here is a diagram-picture :

diagram.jpg

Can we remove the "green pipes", which are connected to canister,

catch tank and R.O.valve? Where we can put the pipe after plenum valve

(which now goes to canister)? We have removed all the "black line pipes" and

airpump.

Can we put pipe from fuel filler neck to outside of the car, like usually on

all euro-model cars?

In diagram picture there my friend is pointing pipe from airpump to canister.

He's wondering where it should now put from the canister. He's also

wondering if there is vacuum now on that system, cause from where it gets

air now that we have removed the air pump.

Guest teigan

you're very brave using the maxima belt. not that the quality is necessarily worse than the recommended gates belt. belts are cheap, so i've never taken the risk to save a tenner. tell us how the nissan part works out in the long run. we wish you the best, and thank you for being a pioneer. hopefully it won't be raining datsun cogs.

you're very brave using the maxima belt.  not that the quality is necessarily worse than the recommended gates belt.  belts are cheap, so i've never taken the risk to save a tenner.  tell us how the nissan part works out in the long run.  we wish you the best, and thank you for being a pioneer.  hopefully it won't be raining datsun cogs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I told Jussi NOT to use that belt(the maxima has light valve spring tension and is a sewing machine) I think the info came off that bloody Golden Gate Lotus website.

I wish him luck too! :)

A lot has happened since last post  :)

Timing is now where it should be so car was actually running. Maxima's timing belt was identical to Esprit's.

But then we checked some pipes and removed from left side A.I diverter

valve (cause it's useless now). We plugged pipe to catalyst.

Then we checked right side and there were lot's of pipes some broken and

some  loose.

Here is a diagram-picture :

diagram.jpg

Can we remove the "green pipes", which are connected to canister,

catch tank and R.O.valve? Where we can put the pipe after plenum valve

(which now goes to canister)? We have removed all the "black line pipes" and

airpump.

Can we put pipe from fuel filler neck to outside of the car, like usually on

all euro-model cars?

In diagram picture there my friend is pointing pipe from airpump to canister.

He's wondering where it should now put from the canister. He's also

wondering if there is vacuum now on that system, cause from where it gets

air now that we have removed the air pump.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could either tee it into the vacuum pump or just leave it (like my car) It just purges vapours from the charcoal cannister. :(

Wayne could probably advise on this, but couldn't you remove the carbon canister altogether and let all the things that were connected to it just vent to the atmosphere?

Actually this Maxima's belt is from Gates :)

Wayne what you meaning "nee it into vacuum pump"? Can we actually connect it to vacuum pump? Or just put it's other head outside of the car? :(

Wayne could probably advise on this, but couldn't you remove the carbon canister altogether and let all the things that were connected to it just vent to the atmosphere?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be the best solution. Canister is useless now or is it? :)

We can just leave the canister there and plug it's connections.

Guest teigan

the charcoal cannister is a major safety hazard. that's usually what catches fire when you're trying to impress the kiddies. the purpose of it is to block petrol gasses while letting air pressure through. however, when the fuel tanks are full, liquid petrol gets up there and soaks the charcoal which creates an external vapor cloud just asking to be enflamed. however, it isn't just for emmision control, so i wouldn't remove it.

The cannister doesnt vent to the atmosphere , the vapours are sucked back into the engine and burnt via the Plenum valve. Mine is just sitting there( all lines connected except the vacuum supply line) you could re connect that line to the vacuum pump(via long line and T piece) to make it function as before :)

Guest teigan

if that's the only line you're plugging, things will be okay. someone on pistonheads told me long ago, that when he removed all the emissions stuff from his G-type car, it became more difficult to put fuel in the tanks from either side of the car. he didn't document progress as well as you, so we wern't able to find out why.

If he plugged the breather lines from the tanks it would make it more difficult to fill! (typical Pistonheads user) :) Have they finished ripping the Hylomar people a new a55hole yet? :(

When I got my 83 Esprit Turbo it had no air pump and all lines going to the charcoal canister were removed. Anything associated with emissions had been removed by PO. It had very few vacuum lines and no solenoids. As you can imagine it barely made it to 80mph.

This is my vacuum line setup:

ACU vacuum line to vent damper in bonnet is run from a tee off the vacuum pump. A. I. Diverter was removed. There are vacuum lines that run to two solenoids under the plenum. These are now connected correctly along with the two vacuum lines to the distributor. There is a vacuum line that runs to the fuel pressure regulator and helps in its operation and a vacuum line to the now famous diffuser flapper.

Looks like your having fun.

louis

'83 Turbo

Thanks guys :(

Now we have renewed all "green pipes" and plugged what my friend is pointing.

New airfilter is ordered (should arrive tomorrow), new spark plugs are installed. We checked that there aren't any leaks. Tomorrow is the big day: Testdrive :)

And yes Louis we had fun to putting it better as it was :)

the charcoal cannister is a major safety hazard.  that's usually what catches fire when you're trying to impress the kiddies.  the purpose of it is to block petrol gasses while letting air pressure through.  however, when the fuel tanks are full, liquid petrol gets up there and soaks the charcoal which creates an external vapor cloud just asking to be enflamed.  however, it isn't just for emmision control, so i wouldn't remove it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the charcoal canister for if it's not for emissions? Doesn't it just store vapours when the engine is off and when it's running a solenoid valve opens so fresh air is drawn through the canister to purge it? So it does, in effect, vent to the atmosphere.

My friend just called, he was testdriving my car :( (I know him and he can be trusted and he's the one who repairs my cars :P ).

Everything was ok :( Car run's a lot better than before it even takes turbo boost lower than before :) he thought there might been leak somewhere which is now fixed :P

I'm so happy BUT... I'm at work right now :):)

Hey guys.. the attached link is to a PDF of an ACAD drawing I made of the emissions system on my 83-84. It may be handy for those of you who want to understand the emissions system better before messing with it.

I am removing all of it on my project, cause IMO its a bloody niusance to maintain, messes up the engine bay, and serves only to satisfy the law-makers.. Jan

enjoy..

lotus esprit S3T emissions diagram

Guest teigan

hello jan,

thanks for the diagram. so if i understand correctly, you removed the whole chain of vapor recovery nonsense starting with the metal catch tank. did you plug the vapor tube from the fuel filler pipe pre roll-over valve, or did you vent that elsewhere?