free hit
counters
Chg cool pump - thoughts on photos - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Chg cool pump - thoughts on photos

Good evening all.

Ive finally got to work on my esprit, ive had a leak around the chargecooler pump area for ages, small drip that mounts up over night as such.

Ive got an overhaul kit ready, ill put a photo of the propeller on next for your thoughts. 

Its reasonably stiff to turn for one, the propeller looks ok just squashed on one side more than the other? The water appears to have come from a hole in the bottom of the pump? Does this indicate anything?

There also appears to be a tiny crack at the end of the drive shaft around the small hole? Is this normal?

Im thinking ill go electric if this pump isnt looking serviceable?

1st time doing this job so appologies in advance for so many questions.

20170513_164640.jpg

20170513_164656.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It may be your first time doing this job but probably not your last. Replacing the impeller is pretty much a service job like replacing spark plugs or brake pads, so take note when doing it as it will help next time. Have fun.

Ah right, if the kids ever go sleep ill get the pump pulled apart. Do we know the purpose of the hole where the waters escaped? 

Ive learnt today that a small job involves alot of bigger jobs to get to it. Ive got a drip at the front end too which appears to be one of the radiators.....not looking forward to that but it has to be done.

One thing at a time

Hi Andy,

The whole that you see serves two purposes. There are two seals in the body of the pump. One seals water in the coolant side. The other seals oil in the drive side. The hole is so you can see which seal has failed. In your case, coolant side.

I had the same thing and when I got it all disassembled, I had seal grooves in the drive shaft. I had the shaft tested and a new one made. Got two new seals. They are just standard lip seals. My impeller was ok as well. The whole thing lasted about 7 years. The impeller has now destroyed itself. The coolant side seal is leaking again. I haven't had a look at the seals as I just said stuff it and now have an electrical kit to install.

You don't need to knock the rolled pin out to rebuild what you have. The drive shaft is pulled out of the pump body in that direction. It comes out as whole piece. When it is in the car, it can't come out as it is held from moving by the drive.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

5 hours ago, ramjet said:

You don't need to knock the rolled pin out to rebuild what you have. The drive shaft is pulled out of the pump body in that direction. It comes out as whole piece. When it is in the car, it can't come out as it is held from moving by the drive.

Unless you are changing the shaft and need the drive dog flange off the end..  As with Micheal's (ramjet) shaft most have a grove worn on them  and best to change as service item  ... which if you have a proper kit will be included.    Andy C pointed out that this will be a job you will repeat if you run the car frequently, this is so true , they are not the most reliable , with the impellers disintegrating being a common fault..particularly the after market ones.   As a result many fit the electric option..  This may be a good time to consider those options..  

True Dave. I should have said that.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

It's an impeller, not a propeller and is offset as it's eccentric and it's meant to be like that. The impeller is a service item to be replaced every 2 years.

An electric pump is about a billion times better in every respect, if I were you I'd be swapped over to that solution. There's a huge thread on here about installations. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks for the advice everyone, im think electric  is the way to go after trying to clean up the failed seal for an hour ?

Looks really pitted maybe from rust or a previous replacement with too much scraping? What do you think?

I think weve got an ultrasonic cleaner at work, thought about dropping it in there and see how it comes out, ive a feeling ill put new seals in them do it again.

2017-05-14 19.25.12.jpg

3 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Bibs, can I just mention you've spelt propeller incorrectly, and used both variations of impeller and impellor?

No :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 3 weeks later...

You haven't got to the best part yet... trying to refit it.... ugh..  Note the Service Manual warning about not turning the impellor the wrong way during installation. 

I changed at least 4 on my car... one didn't last 6 months. You don't know how much time and effort you'll save by switching to electric. If you're not in a hurry to put your car back together, I'd buy an electric kit ASAP and don't bother refitting the old pump.

Yes, cleaning it is a pain. I sent mine away to be done professionally. 

Thanks for the advice, I've bought an electric bosch pump same spec as the Merc amg's, just waiting on the plug in the post but get it mounted and wired up in the meantime.

I'll no doubt be on with questions along the way but thankfully the guides on here are brilliant with everyone else's experience.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I fitted an electric pump when I changed over from standard carbs/turbo to Injection and charge cooler. That was back in 2000, and the electric pump is still working.. although with all the things failing at the moment, I'd better double check it!

Last time I had the engine cover off with the engine running the charge cooler was stone cold, which is usually a good sign. :)

I actually have my ECU only turn it on when coolant temps get above about 40C as well.. it means I don't 'overcool' the air if I ever use the car in winter.

Edited by Glyn Harper