free hit
counters
Fuel tank rubber cross-over pipe... - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi Chaps

I've replaced both fuel tanks with Ally ones, and before I go ahead and order the original rubber lotus hoses (connecting the tank to the metal crossover pipe) at £20 each, I was just wondering if there was a supplier who had pipes to cope better with the fuel in the Uk containing ethanol?

I also need to replace the breathers etc and any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought mine from JAE.   Actually my original hoses were not bad for 20 years old and we almost always have up to 10% Ethanol here...  

I used the standard Lotus pipes because the ones I removed were not in bad condition after 22 years of life. I did have a really good look around to see if there were any alternatives, but never came

There's next to no fuel in that pipe - just pull it off 

I used the standard Lotus pipes because the ones I removed were not in bad condition after 22 years of life. I did have a really good look around to see if there were any alternatives, but never came up with anything suitable probably due to them being a moulded shape.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

3 hours ago, ian29gte said:

I used the standard Lotus pipes because the ones I removed were not in bad condition after 22 years of life. I did have a really good look around to see if there were any alternatives, but never came up with anything suitable probably due to them being a moulded shape.

Mine were neither nicked or cracked but they did go rock hard while they were off and softened up again when full of fuel, which doesn't inspire confidence long term. SJ Sportscars list what looks like a reproduction S bend, in silicon I think. Not quite as neat as JAE and c. £50 a pair.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

3 hours ago, sailorbob said:

What's the part number? I ask because on DeRoure the original (B082L4062F) appears to have been superseded twice with the latest (A082L4301F) being listed as 'USA only'.

I see what you mean.

Yes, it's A082L4301F. SJ is listing them as usual, but nothing on their site about USA only, so it beats me.

Margate Exotics.

6 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Nice hoses! I wish JAE had a better website - its been updated a lot since last time I looked but still cant find those cross pipes.

JAE's website is bad.  Just email them.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• 2 months later...

Has anyone managed to swap the actual crossover pipe that runs along the bottom of the car for an aluminium one? It looks like the only way to swap it is to remove the body off the chassis!

I have an aluminium right hand tank and will be doing the left hand one soon. Seems daft not to have the crossover pipe done in ally as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My 1989 Esprit USA version has plastic wire ties installed on both S shaped rubber crossover hoses, slightly crimping the hose closed, apparently to restrict flow or sloshing of fuel from side to side? I have no idea why someone would have installed these. Anyone seen this or have suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Glyn,

Since noone have come up with an answer to this, I guess one would have to make a tube in aluminium oneself. I don't know it yours are exactly like mine, but when I lay up the Esprit for the Winter (very soon), I may empty the aluminium fuel tanks and take off the hoses and that tube for further inspection, preventatively. And maybe replace hoses with silicone hoses from say jae and an aluminium tube. I'll make that myself then, I suppose.

Jeff: I'll take a look at mine, asap and write back here.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:17, Jacques said:

Glyn,

Since noone have come up with an answer to this, I guess one would have to make a tube in aluminium oneself. I don't know it yours are exactly like mine, but when I lay up the Esprit for the Winter (very soon), I may empty the aluminium fuel tanks and take off the hoses and that tube for further inspection, preventatively. And maybe replace hoses with silicone hoses from say jae and an aluminium tube. I'll make that myself then, I suppose.

Jeff: I'll take a look at mine, asap and write back here.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Keep a mate with a fire extinguisher ready for when the petrol pisses out all over you and the garage floor! Been there, done that, twice!

The balance pipe is thin-gauge steel, and mine was in perfect condition even after 22 years.

Margate Exotics.