free hit
counters
Floppy nose section - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just remove the boot floor and add a stiffer section to the rear chassis brace,  now  stiff as a go cart,  purely for fuction purposes though lol.  

20170701_190358.jpg.0d45a30bdf0d7eda1fa24700697e9f50.thumb.jpg.facbd420ddb2cb9b30440247a8970f21.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
19 hours ago, ramjet said:

I've merged your two topics John. You are posting in the Stevens section then posting on the same topic in the Guigiaro section. Since you own an '88 and a '95 model, I have merged it all into the Stevens area.

Michael,

Thank you for merging these two threads, much more manageable this way.

Re:  "all Esprits" statement.  In the light of emerging statistics, it should read: "some older Esprits". Feel free to revise it or delete this sentence.

My intent was to convey a message:  "IF you have a similar problem, this is the way to fix it",  and NOT dissing the Marque.

P.S. I do have  4x4 truck, 5.9 L V8 Dodge Ram. I've installed front and read posi-trac differentials and the beast plows trough the woods like a tank.  I named her Xena:  Warrior Princess.

Absolute necessity when going hunting!

IMG_4727.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

40 minutes ago, MrDangerUS said:

In the light of emerging statistics,

What emerging statistics John? You have said earlier that you have seen this issue on your Esprit and two others.

I just quickly googled 'Total Esprit Production Figures' and got 10,675 in total.

So, unless I am incorrect, your emerging statistic is 3 in 10,675 or 0.028%. Sorry, I just don't think that qualifies as an emerging statistic.

Ok, I'll work it out for cars prior to 1988. This number does not include the models that ran over from pre 1998 to sometime in 1998.

So 5,976 cars. Your 3. Answer = 0.05%

Considering that we are talking about cars that have been on the road for over 30 years and we do not know how they have been driven or treated, this just does not qualify as an emerging statistic.

Even if you add in the cars that Sparky has seen plus the cars that DanR has fixed (completely different issue, which incidentally was in 2 S4's (so post 1988) that I know he fixed) you get 6 in 10,675. (Using the larger number again as DanR's cars were post 1988. 6 in 10675. 0.05% again.

Not an issue.

19 hours ago, DanR said:

What I did several years ago was two things. Firstly I eliminated the bobbins and made alloy plates. The bobbins work in tension and there's not much surface area so eventually they bust out. With upper and lower plates about 50mm square and 6mm thick and several years of use,  I've had no more problems. 

The second thing I did was making additional brackets halfway between the bobbins and the bulkhead. I used square tubing about 400mm long bolted into the inverted "u" channels on each side of the inner body molds. You can feel those channels by running your fingers under the air cleaner and corresponding side next to the exhaust manifold. From the mid-point of the square tubing I welded triangulated brackets that bolt to the engine mount plates on the chassis. That part of the body mold is very strong, being a box to hold the petrol tanks and inner guards.

Dan,

That is a very creative solution! I'm very interested. Could you please send me a few pictures to  [email protected]  ?

Hi John, easier said than done. I'd need to get the car up on a hoist to photograph those extra brackets I made. I'l try and get some for you next time I do an oil change.

Please share them around, thanks.

On 03/03/2019 at 14:02, ramjet said:

What emerging statistics John? You have said earlier that you have seen this issue on your Esprit and two others.

I just quickly googled 'Total Esprit Production Figures' and got 10,675 in total.

So, unless I am incorrect, your emerging statistic is 3 in 10,675 or 0.028%. Sorry, I just don't think that qualifies as an emerging statistic.

Ok, I'll work it out for cars prior to 1988. This number does not include the models that ran over from pre 1998 to sometime in 1998.

So 5,976 cars. Your 3. Answer = 0.05%

Considering that we are talking about cars that have been on the road for over 30 years and we do not know how they have been driven or treated, this just does not qualify as an emerging statistic.

Even if you add in the cars that Sparky has seen plus the cars that DanR has fixed (completely different issue, which incidentally was in 2 S4's (so post 1988) that I know he fixed) you get 6 in 10,675. (Using the larger number again as DanR's cars were post 1988. 6 in 10675. 0.05% again.

Not an issue.

It is/was issue for me and 2 other owners of the 1987/88' cars, perhaps more.

Sorry, but your math is little bit fuzzy... Simple logic has it, that if you'd exclude S4-s, S4s, V8 and Giugiaro cars, the percentage will be higher. Compare apples to apples.

Not enough to ground a B737 variant.

• Like 2

If these brackets could be made in aluminium, then I’d be happy to fit a set to my Esprit To prevent this damage happening in the first place. Some of our roads are quite bumpy here, so I imagine my chassis and body get a right good pasting. I’d rather prevent any of this cracking than try to fix it afterwards.

making them out of aluminium would appeal for the weight factor, and also the corrosion factor. (If anodised). I wouldn’t fancy fitting mild steel under there as it’s right in the airflow and will quickly rot in the climate I live in. (Near the sea with crap weather most of the time!)

Edited by Glyn Harper

"Some of our roads are quite bumpy here"

Same here in the USA.  In fact, I want one of these stickers for my Daily Driver.

569758549_PotholeSeason.jpg.0aeb1e6fbd82a0f99b7e908908c1312f.jpg

(Sorry for the off-topic post, had to share.😊 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1