free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S2 .project/restoration - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit S2 .project/restoration

franjipane

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes looks a nice little project and with s2s prices on the rise I think it's going to be a good buy for someone.

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

• Gold FFM

This one is the only other Esprit I knew of in this area, and it's within spitting distance. Sunday before last I'd decided that I would spend the cash I have put back for my gearbox rebuild, and thought that I was going to own this one with a max bid of 5.5k......Bit of an under estimate on my part, just goes to show how rare and desirable these once unloved beauties have become.Screenshot_2017-05-29-21-00-44.thumb.png.958a9c99ebc64d2336fd359bdb2ca00f.png

So real world is a plate like that worth anything? Maybe to a clairvoyant Lotus enthusiast :)

It's heartening to see a project car like that get so much interest. And bad luck Steve, on the bright side your gearbox is safe again.

• Gold FFM

This one is about half a mile away, although I've never seen it, I knew of it. It hit it's reserve at 4k so I reckon if I'd gone around there a few weeks ago with 5 grand cash he would probably have snapped my hand off.

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, GTK said:

So real world is a plate like that worth anything? Maybe to a clairvoyant Lotus enthusiast :)

It's heartening to see a project car like that get so much interest. And bad luck Steve, on the bright side your gearbox is safe again.

George, I don't think the plate had the slightest impact on the price, it's all about the desirability of the car, although the plate is a nice addition. 

I didn't think so either. But what's nice about it? The format is the same as all other plates of the era and later?

edit: lol ok I genuinely just realised ESP, as in Esprit. But really, that's worth £2k? I didn't even put two and two together till now. 

Not knowing anything about the car beyond the auction description, i'd say £12k for a mostly complete project S2 like this is just starting to show realistic prices for these fantastic cars.  Although i can't help wondering if the buyer really considered how much work they have in store and that we might see it back on ebay in 6 months time.  But hopefully it'll be properly brought back to life!

I think we might have reached a point were those practical considerations don't win over the desire to have one. I did a tot up and 18 people bid. 7 of those took it through £5k and on to £7.5k. Most interesting though is that you can see three guys with experience (all with 500+ transactions) who had set their max in the £7-£9k range, still healthy historically speaking. And there were still three people willing to fight over it after that point.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, GTK said:

edit: lol ok I genuinely just realised ESP, as in Esprit. But really, that's worth £2k? I didn't even put two and two together till now. 

An age related plate with ESP as the first three characters would cost around £340 direct from dvla cherished numbers, if any are available.

• Like 1

CRAZY.....................

thats the only thing i can say, this car is sold for 12.750 GBP (thats 14.600 euro!!!!!!)

then you get this:

(see Pictures Attached)

i know because it was my old esprit, it needs a complete overhaul, i bought the car for cheap money at that time (2 years ago)

now i have for sale a REBUILD esprit S2 and it dont sales,

2enmir6.jpg

only for 4.000 euro (3400 GBP more)

and you have a Esprit that needs only a new layer of paint and you have a NEW Esprit S2.

this bleu Esprit car need more then 20.000 Euro overhaul money (17.500 GBP) to get at the same level,

wow.... what a strange world!!!!

lotussss.jpg

20160121_182234.jpg

22 hours ago, GTK said:

Hey Bauke do you mean you used to own the blue car?

I had this car only one hour, i bought it from SJ Sportcars Steve... together with a JPS in one time,

sold that car in the UK to get some money back for the JPS. (so the JPS would be cheaper)

that guy bought the car for around 5k. GBP. so he has made a good job out of it, but its never worth 12,750

if you ask me, as you see the Interior, engine, and chassis

Greetings Bauke

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Interesting to stumble across this forum, for I'm the guy who bought this S2. I bid £13,400 for it in the end so was pretty pleased to get it for quite a bit less. I have no plans for it at the moment - I've just bought various project cars (Bristol 401, Fiat 130 Coupe, Alvis TD21, Jensen Interceptor) as well as the Esprit, my '65 MGB GT is nearing completion of a year long restoration and my '68 E-Type is lined up to be restored next, so I imagine I'll just put the S2 in storage for a few years and let it gently appreciate til I decide to play at being Roger Moore in it.

I decided this year to buy project versions of cars that I've adored and coveted since my teens; next on the list will be either a Citroen SM or a Fiat Dino Coupe... My logic is A) restoration candidates of such cars are becoming rarer and rarer every year, and I've no doubt that before long examples of, say. an Esprit S2 or Bristol that needs restoration will be as rare and newsworthy as when old DB Astons turn up in barns, i.e. they'll be like hens' teeth, and B) I'm picking cars like one might pick a likely share to invest in - the fully restored values of these kinds of cars are climbing ever higher, so now's the time to grab one, even if it means 'laying it down' for later. Only a fool thinks there'll always be another one round the corner for the same price. 

I'm haunted by the Aston DB6 I turned down in 1998 for £16k, as well as the Ferrari 400i project I bought 2 years ago. Wherever it is now, that Aston is now a £400k car all day long, and while I made £1500 in 5 weeks flipping the Ferrari, they're now already £10k more expensive than they were 18 months ago. In fact, a pure basket case one sold last week on eBay for £10k more than I sold mine, despite it being a LHD that has to be imported from LA. Silly me.

Anyway, it's not just about the investment value - I only ever buy cars that make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and which I've always adored, hence the Esprit. I would have gladly given my kidneys for one when I was a schoolboy, and that ache never went away. Hence paying £12,750 for it. (I just hope I like it as much when I collect it in a few weeks!)

Cheers

Edited by HowardHughes
Typos
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2017 at 20:22, GTK said:

€12,750.00 after the ballsiest snipe I've ever seen. 

Thanks. I only ever bid with less than 7 seconds to go.

(It's only failed me when I've been anywhere with crap wifi.)

Congrats on the purchase. Great car, you won't be disappointed.

As an S2 owner, given your long term plans, I can only offer one piece of advice, and that is to start buying the parts you need now as they're staring to become finite and therefore expensive.

Hi and welcome Jonny, and congratulations on the... well on all of them. That's a characterful collection!

5 hours ago, HowardHughes said:

Thanks. I only ever bid with less than 7 seconds to go. (It's only failed me when I've been anywhere with crap wifi.)

Likewise, and maybe it was just the refresh rate of my page but you seemed to go in at 1 second to go. It brought a smile to my face :) 

+1 for what Daniel said regarding parts, the potential pitfall is firstly finding the rare items, then finding them at a non-exorbitant price.

On that subject maybe you don't know; the Esprit and the SM share their transaxle. 

• Like 1

George, Daniel, Mike...

Many thanks. 

Good idea re parts, though it's hard to be that disciplined sometimes! For example, my Interceptor needs a pair of bumpers, and there's a pair out there for around £750. Great, except two years ago I bought a very tidy little black Fiat X/19 in Northern Ireland for... £750.

So like the gentleman above who chose to try for my car over his replacement gearbox, it's often difficult to justify the economics of stockpiling parts to hedge against future scarcity when actual entire cars can often be bought for similar outlay. Hopefully some of these models will go the way of E-Types, where everything mine needs (floorpans, windscreen, starter motor, exhaust) is all available new!

I think I was dimly aware of the Esprit / SM transaxle overlap - that's a slightly more glamorous parts bin theft than the humble Marina door handles!

And yeah, I seem to recall being anxious as the last few seconds of the auction counted down, and I think I ended up clicking 'confirm' with maybe 2 or 3 seconds to go... All good fun though!

On the parts note actually, I know mine is missing its carbs. On some exotics that could represent a couple of grand, but on this site they seem to cost a pittance...

http://www.lotusbits.com/esprit_engine.html

Anyone know if this site is a good source of bits, or of a better one? 

Ta