free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S2 .project/restoration - Page 2 - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Esprit S2 .project/restoration

franjipane

Dude, "I'm not buying 200g of cheddar for £2.50 because I just bought a litre of milk for 95p". Pressed bumpers are expensive, often. Buy them, fit them, enjoy the car. :)

For parts availability I doubt the Esprit will go the way of the XKE because there aren't enough of them to make some reproductions justifiable. 70k+ E types built and massively sought after. 3k Esprits built (S1-S3) and niche in appeal from any angle. The Dellortos are easy. I'd get on that missing engine cover.

Lotusbits are real.

PS; an X1/9 that wasn't Swiss cheese? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to the forum

I think you have a very nice S2 in the making there.

I think I have the whole instrument cluster, door mirrors from your car and the rear calipers I brought them five years ago from the guy who sold the car to SJ sports cars

Please message me if you would like them

Good luck with the restoration

Matt

PS George is right "get on that missing engine cover."

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

On 6/9/2017 at 08:06, GTK said:

Dude, "I'm not buying 200g of cheddar for £2.50 because I just bought a litre of milk for 95p". Pressed bumpers are expensive, often. Buy them, fit them, enjoy the car. :)

For parts availability I doubt the Esprit will go the way of the XKE because there aren't enough of them to make some reproductions justifiable. 70k+ E types built and massively sought after. 3k Esprits built (S1-S3) and niche in appeal from any angle. The Dellortos are easy. I'd get on that missing engine cover.

Lotusbits are real.

PS; an X1/9 that wasn't Swiss cheese? 

Ha George. Conversely, "dude, I'm not buying a small pack of king sized prawns for £4.99 when I can get large cod and chips for £7 on the way home. And I don't even have to cook it!"

But yeah, fair point. I'm going for a couple more projects first, then I'll reckon I'll take a long pause and start to gather bits. But I've got plenty of cars and bikes to enjoy in the meantime, and I'm getting one a year restored. For now I'm equally focused on the investment values, not because I want to sit like an idiot and gloat over their rising values, but because these are cars I NEED to have in my life, and I need to box clever if I'm to afford them all. Thus it makes total sense to stockpile ever rarer cars while their values are inexorably rising, because 10 years ago the market was littered with cheap cars that will never be cheap again. In 2007 - Alfa Romeo Montreal? £7k. Citroen SM? £3k. DeLorean? £8K. Ferrari 308 GT4? £7k. Aston DBS? £12k. Fiat Dino Coupe? £6k.

10 years before that? Try DB6... under £20k. DB5... Under £50k. Various 60s Ferraris... Under £20k. And on and on. I'd much rather have all those cars now in project form and need various spares, than have bought maybe just one or two of them and spent the rest of my cash on the parts they needed...

Anyway, horses for courses and all that. And yup, at a little classic car show in Northern Ireland I spied an extremely clean black X/19, rust free, tidy interior, lusty engine, long MOT and pretty decent paintwork for a grand, which ended up at £750 after a short haggle. Gave it to my dad. I could sell it in London tomorrow for £3-4k all day long. Which is a better return on a pair of bumpers haha

Cheers for Lotusbits tip.

On 6/9/2017 at 09:19, Matt-watts said:

Welcome to the forum

I think I have the whole instrument cluster, door mirrors from your car and the rear calipers I brought them five years ago from the guy who sold the car to SJ sports cars

Matt

Hi Matt,

Cheers for that! Yeah, I'd be interested in those parts for sure. It's cool that you've held on to them for half a decade - I have a garage full of spares from various cars and bikes I've bought that came with extra bits at the time, which I never throw out either. Now I'm seriously thinking 'damn, I need to get me an S2 engine cover!'

I'll message you with my number.

Hi Jonny

Well done on the purchase , good move in my eyes as they will not get cheaper to buy in the coming years.  Shame though it will have to wait in line to be restored.

But on a brighter note at least it will be tucked away safely awaiting it's future restoration. 

Money wise as othersoon have said even at 12k I think it was very good value. 

Regards Danny

A

7 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Hi Jonny

Well done on the purchase , good move in my eyes as they will not get cheaper to buy in the coming years.  Shame though it will have to wait in line to be restored.

But on a brighter note at least it will be tucked away safely awaiting it's future restoration. 

Money wise as othersoon have said even at 12k I think it was very good value. 

Regards Danny

Cheers Danny - yeah, it's found its 'forever home' now, make no mistake. And I reckon it'll likely be up for a 2018 restoration, when the E-Type's done, so it shouldn't have to wait too much longer before cutting a dash and turning heads again.

I'll be spraying it white of course - not sure if that offends the purists but hell, I haven't waited nearly 35 years since falling in love with the car when my dad played a VHS of The Spy Who Loved Me for us one Sunday afternoon in order to drive around now in a dark blue one!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 09:19, Matt-watts said:

Welcome to the forum

Matt

Hi Matt,

Dropped you a line a while back about those bits. Let me know if you're still interested in selling them.

Cheers!

Hi Sorry Ive not got back to you I'm getting ready for a race weekend and time is tight. Please give me a week, I will have much more time then.

Best wishes

Matt

Matt@moxley.plus.com

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

On 6/19/2017 at 08:01, Matt-watts said:

Hi Sorry Ive not got back to you I'm getting ready for a race weekend and time is tight. Please give me a week, I will have much more time then.

Best wishes

Matt

Matt@moxley.plus.com

Hey, no problem - I'm in Ireland anyway til next week so just wanted to make sure I didn't lose touch. Good luck with the race!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 09:31, GTK said:

I hope you're not here pinching more cars Jonny ;)

Ha who me? Never.

Esprit was delivered this morning actually. More work than I thought / was described. The left rear wheel is at a funny angle and there's a ratchet strap threaded between / around the rear suspension and axle. Never a good sign. Not overly impressed that neither the descriptions, the pics nor my chat with the seller highlighted this to be honest. 

Still, hey ho and all that. I suppose the definition of a First World Problem is moaning that the project Esprit you bought needs a bit more work than you'd hoped. That's up there with 'I can't bloody decide what colour to have my E-Type painted!' in the 'Nice Problems To Have' category.

• Like 1

Let's see pics, always nice to see esprit project pictures :)

Glad your new acquisition arrived safely, it's very rare that esprit projects will list all the faults, sorry to hear it was not as described, but I always like mooching about new purchased cars to see what horrors are lurking :)

A

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 15:03, silverfrost said:

Let's see pics, always nice to see esprit project pictures :)

Glad your new acquisition arrived safely, it's very rare that esprit projects will list all the faults, sorry to hear it was not as described, but I always like mooching about new purchased cars to see what horrors are lurking :)

Hi mate,

Thanks - will get round to some pics when I next visit the car in storage. I spoke to the seller about the issue and he reckons the bolts holding the gearbox to the suspension are missing - something I'll have to track down I guess.

Including transport the car stands me at £12,900 - which I and evidently others here found to be a good deal. But oddly I've just seen a local S2 advertised in good condition, with an MOT and apparently only needing a respray and some glass, at just £14k

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C879936

It'll take thousands to get my car to even the level of this one (and doesn't pretty much everyone want to respray their Esprits white anyway lol). Then again, it's stated as being a 1986 S2, when we all know the S3 had come along years earlier. Not sure what that's all about... still, if legit then I should've got that car instead...

• Like 1

Totally agree with GTK about the S3 price in comparison to the S2 prices.  The S2 is more desirable to most folks due to its clean lines imo a and more rare hence the prices been higher for S2 projects.

It is really hard to understand the difference in prices regarding the cost of a full rebuild project and one needing work

Better off imo paying a bit less for a full restoration project one, then at least doing it yourself or getting it done at least you know it's 100 % decent at the end.   Ones advertised for slightly more nearly always entail lots of extra hidden work. 

Have said thus many times before its a double edged blade sadly as yes prices for current owners is great but sad that projects are so expensive for potential owners to purchase now. :(

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM

Oh dear....been away for a while, just caught up with the thread... it seems someone might be confusing their Esprits. 

Our friend Bond...James Bond, drove a white S1 and a copper fire dry sump turbo, not an S2, so IMO to repaint this one white would be sacrilege, luckily for you @HowardHughes your mistake could be a godsend, as S2's theese days are becoming as rare as hens teeth.

Keep it original my man, it's a lovely colour, and at the end of the day it'll be worth more and look better as it was intended to be.

PS become a gold forum member and ask @Bibs for a certificate of provenance, you'll be fascinated with the info the factory holds about this specific car.

Regards Steve 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 01:00, HowardHughes said:

Hi mate,

Thanks - will get round to some pics when I next visit the car in storage. I spoke to the seller about the issue and he reckons the bolts holding the gearbox to the suspension are missing - something I'll have to track down I guess.

Including transport the car stands me at £12,900 - which I and evidently others here found to be a good deal. But oddly I've just seen a local S2 advertised in good condition, with an MOT and apparently only needing a respray and some glass, at just £14k

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C879936

It'll take thousands to get my car to even the level of this one (and doesn't pretty much everyone want to respray their Esprits white anyway lol). Then again, it's stated as being a 1986 S2, when we all know the S3 had come along years earlier. Not sure what that's all about... still, if legit then I should've got that car instead...

It was still a decent investment, and yes, as others have said, that's an S3 and currently not as desirable.

As Jay Leno said....... you never pay too much for a classic car, you just buy it too soon.

with regards values, mine's a very nice usable example, by no means mint and has had paint and has a few blemishes etc, and I've just been offered 30K for it from a dealer. I paid half that 3.5 years ago.

Keep it original, go with the factory colour.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 00:17, Steve V8 said:

Oh dear....been away for a while, just caught up with the thread... it seems someone might be confusing their Esprits. 

Our friend Bond...James Bond, drove a white S1 and a copper fire dry sump turbo, not an S2, so IMO to repaint this one white would be sacrilege, luckily for you @HowardHughes your mistake could be a godsend, as S2's theese days are becoming as rare as hens teeth.

Keep it original my man, it's a lovely colour, and at the end of the day it'll be worth more and look better as it was intended to be.

PS become a gold forum member and ask @Bibs for a certificate of provenance, you'll be fascinated with the info the factory holds about this specific car.

Regards Steve 

Hey - sorry, been away from this place for a while now; life does get in the way doesn't it?!

I'm almost insulted that you'd think I'd got my Esprits mixed up - of course I know Bond had an S1 and a Turbo haha. Those things were my obsession when I was a nipper - I even wrote to Jim'll Fix It when I was 10 to try to get to sit in the Turbo! (In hindsight it's probably best he didn't reply) But project S1s are sadly thin on the ground, so when I saw this S2 I snapped it up. Next best thing and all that, though nothing can really touch the pure lines of the S1...

Sadly though, when I do get round to having it fixed up, it'll be whiter than snow. When it comes to Esprits, I'm a white supremacist. It'll be all white on the night etc. I'm not even a fan of the current blue to be honest, as it looks a bit harsh mid-80s to me... But it's more than that - we're all enthusiasts, we're all doing this out of passion, and how we arrived at that passion varies from individual to individual. In my case, it was the result of sitting goggle-eyed as a very young boy, watching my hero evade a gorgeous helicopter pilot's machine guns in his white, low slung rocket ship. I loved that car like I loved my next breath. To just 'keep it original' would be to let that young boy down, to settle for something less than he wished he could have, and I don't feel like doing that. 

Plus, they just look fucking cooler in white haha

By the way, that sounds like a great idea re getting the car's back story by being a Gold Member. I shall look into that! I tried getting Bristol to have a hunt through their famed archives last month for info on my 401 but got sadly nowhere. V disappointing.

Edited by HowardHughes
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I put down a few notes on this topic. 

I was one of the bidders who felt that the Blue Esprit s2 was worth more than 12 grand. But I had to set a limit so I was outbid. 

I was in contact with the seller and  informed me that he had another s2 and might sell it privately. I went and viewed the car and the deal was done, for slightly more than the blue Esprit. 

This one in red, is complete and showing 60, 000 miles. Unfortunately someone has fitted turbo sills (to be removed). It turns out (according to Lotus) the original colour is Gold and this can be seen trying to see the light of day through the red paint in places. This is the colour it will be again and should make a nice companion to my JPS +2.

I  agree with the comments that the prices of this cars are only going one way. 

PS sorry to HowardHughes but the previous owner fitted the gearbox and door mirrors from your car to mine. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Glad you've checked back in with us Jonny @HowardHughes! Do please consider chipping in with a posting on your project from time to time, if nothing else it does help sustain we nutters who plow forward on overly ambitious programs.

Cheers

6 hours ago, drdoom said:

Glad you've checked back in with us Jonny @HowardHughes! Do please consider chipping in with a posting on your project from time to time, if nothing else it does help sustain we nutters who plow forward on overly ambitious programs.

Cheers

Hello mate, 

Thanks for this. I will for sure - right now I'm working through lists of what the car needs / is missing before I do anything else... Lots of bits to source!

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

That's an impressive collection of cars you've got there :)

Thank you! They're mainly projects though, many yet to be restored. I had around 30 by the end of last year and sold around a dozen or so off this year as I was tired of having a garden full of £10k cars. I feel better now I've whittled it down to a core 15 or so more valuable ones that I can justify having work done on... 👍

2 hours ago, TAR said:

1928 Brough Superior... heavenly.

Is it an SS100?

:) 

Cheers. No - not sure I could justify the cost of one of those! Mine's an obscure model they only made 9 of; a SV 750. I also have a project 1931 OVH 680 too which is in bits, the engine of which Sam Lovegrove is rebuilding for me, but that's a longer term project...

• Like 1