free hit
counters
Got a bit of a leak!!!!! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Got a bit of a leak!!!!!

• Gold FFM

Chaps (Sparky :P)

been to the garage and noticed I have got a bit of a leak on the gearbox, I cant workout where it is coming from but it is definitely dripping off the gearbox sump plug. I have attached some pics any ideas, I wont drive it until i know what is going on with this.

59281901bfba2_Gearbox1.jpg.076e1a2b9d3d0b333c9e2d2d6fe105bd.jpgGearbox.jpg.756ffcdda25695e77947f54b0c8c9784.jpg

Thanks for any help

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Us old timers used to say: "Chuck some talcum powder on it, and go for the damp patch." Not sure it was referring to oil leaks, though.

Gunk comes tomorrow, will get under it this weekend and post pics. How big a job to change drive shaft seals? At the moment if you could see inside my head it would be a cold pint of Old Speckled Hen.

I feel yer, its like your here with me! 

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Wot Ian said - clean it, drive it, let's see what's going on!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Gunk comes tomorrow, will get under it this weekend and post pics. How big a job to change drive shaft seals? At the moment if you could see inside my head it would be a cold pint of Old Speckled Hen. Sun and beer are trumping leaking TE :lol:

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

I'm with you there,but with Thatchers Gold. ?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

5 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Tip - wash all the shit off first, then give it a run, and you might have a chance of seeing where it's coming from.

Hi Dan. Its just as the lads say, but unless the oil coming out is black you will find it difficult to see except for the drip...  So a good tip is to blow some some talcum powder on the area after the drip reappears.  The talc will turn a yellowish shade on the oil enabling you see  and identify the source of the leak. usually the highest point..  works for me...

• Like 1

Doubt its the drive shaft seals on a Citroen box, they are generally pretty long lived (and if leaking, they vent to drain tubes).   Normal leaks on these are the rear case (easy to remove/replace/ also speedo drive seal, which seems to 'fret' over time.   

• Like 1

It will be coming from the right angle speedo drive. They leak. Harry from DV gearboxes says is due to the gearbox going backwards.

buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

It could be from the crossgate shaft - either end has a rubber 'O' ring on it which goes hard

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

12 hours ago, CHANGES said:

Hi Dan. Its just as the lads say, but unless the oil coming out is black you will find it difficult to see except for the drip...  So a good tip is to blow some some talcum powder on the area after the drip reappears.  The talc will turn a yellowish shade on the oil enabling you see  and identify the source of the leak. usually the highest point..  works for me...

Us old timers used to say: "Chuck some talcum powder on it, and go for the damp patch." Not sure it was referring to oil leaks, though.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.