free hit
counters
Rear view mirror - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

/some time back my centre mirror decided to break off.   i cant remember how it got broken but that's how it it.

I bought a mirror that fits nicely (vauxhall caliber, held by mirror stick strips ) in place and hides a DVR camera - very neat.

Two problems came up which i thought I could get used to.  It's been years and it sort of pisses e off a bit!

FIRST:

To adjust the mirror you have to move it around because the width of the mirror is too wide

SECOND:

(and I hate this) The rear view vibrates with the hum of the mirror - great if you've got double visions

My question is - 

Has anyone replaced their review mirror which fits well.?
Obviously there's "fit the original" -however I believe they're rare

so

Has anyone fitted a non Lotus mirror and does it look the biz?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

SJ do the originals for about £30 and they're still available from Lotus I think. I bought one for mine via Bibs as it was missing.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

5 hours ago, Stimpy said:

To adjust the mirror you have to move it around

I'm not sure there are a lot of alternatives here. The only one I can think of is to not move it around, which doesn't adjust it as well. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Perhaps some sort of gravitic field is in order?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I can't see what the problem is. The driver's seat has plenty of adjustment on it.

Margate Exotics.

The original mirror support fixes to the car with self tapping screws. These will probably be rusted solid and the head will lose their cross-shaped slot before you get them undone. My mirror has survived, but I do get the vbration hassle. This can be cured by bracing the support arm against the windscreen...the original has a projecting piece ending in a rubber cone, which is designed to go againt the windscreen and damp out the vibrations. My support arm had moved too far away from the screen and (see my first comment!) I couldn't move it.

I've found that the black centre part of a Rememberance Day Poppy is ideal; the rubber cone fits perfectly into the hole where it fits onto the poppy stalk, and the flat side fits to the windscreen and stops the vibration. Mine neededmore than one, and I held the stack together with double sided rubber tape.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

good answers.  thanks.

Comment: "I can't see what the problem is. The driver's seat has plenty of adjustment on it."

Every time you bring the visor down it moves the rear view mirror - which then needs pushing back.

About the original screws.  Yep - they are like they're welded in place.

I've bought one of those kits where you can get rounded / seized scores out.  I'll give it a go

Vibration stopper.  Either a small round rubber grommet fitted against the windscreen and rubber bit on mirror, or small piece of high density sponge on self adhesive backing placed between mirror and screen.  Both will solve the problem and cost less than a bitten off fingernail.

• Like 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I used a sealing washer from the Tek screws used in fibreglass sheet roofiing. If you didn't know Esprits, you wouldn't know it didn't belong there.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.