free hit
counters
Windscreen top aluminium strip - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
CharlieCroker

Windscreen top aluminium strip

I've ruined my current piece taking it off for my replacement windscreen that's coming next week, don't ask! Anyone got a reasonably straight one I can slip back on?

Thanks

Charlie ;-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Its made of special 'lotus design' super soft aluminium that once bent can never be straight again!:lol:

• Like 1

That is the panthers way of getting back at you for even considering to sell her !  :P

Hope you get one sorted soon mate, Mike at lotusbits must have stacks of these on the shelf ?

• Like 1

A

There's a whole story about the strip on my car. I always had an original perfectly straight piece when I first bought the car, got that off no problem and did that brushed alluminium effect and put it back into the snap clips, no problem. First run out in the car and the dam thing flew off never to be seen again! So the months after I source another perfectly straight piece, this time I decide to PU the sod in place, four dobs in strategic places, ain't comung off this time! Now that the screen is [email protected]#ked and whilst trying to get the thing off in one straight line, well, you know, more than a few expletives later... and there it is on the garage floor trying its best to resemble spaghetti. So 3rd time lucky... Lets see what happens.

It's one of those pieces I guess someone needs a 3D scanner and printer for, so that they can be reproduced.

I keep looking on eBay for a decent used scanner at a cheap price but no luck yet.

• Like 1

They need to be aluminium for the malibility. Replacements are like rocking horse poo. Getting them remade is the only answer but expensive unless done in bulk.

Evil piece, if you don't glue it runs the risk of flying off under wind pressure, then if you glue it and your screen goes you ruin it getting the thing off. No easy solution, only thing I might do this time is to add more snap clips, and hope that the windscreen doesn't get a stone chip, but if you drive the car with intent then the screen is right out there asking for trouble. At least it was covered, they're coming tuesday to fit, hope they bring the correct screen! If I can't source one then I'm going to use a flat aluminium strip and curve it as required. 

We need a group buy for this to keep these cars running... Problem is... How to manufacture

I'm in for this if it can be done. I bet a guy on the side of the road in India can make them. Some of those guys are amazing as to what they can do.

• Like 1

I agree guys and not just about the windscreen trims. I've just paid £46 for a couple of auto brake adjuster brackets to replace my broken/mangled ones. Whilst I appreciate the efforts of whoever had them remanufactured, there must be a more economical approach.

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?