free hit
counters
Clutch smelling - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch smelling

Recently new to an Exige 350 after coming from an automatic for the last 2 years.

When the car is hot there is a very slight smell, possibly just a hot smell but I'm sure there's a slight hint of clutch. 

Also when pulling out of junctions and the odd time when you have to get a shift on because of traffic etc or someone flashes you out I get a smell of clutch come into the cabin.

I've never experienced this on other vehicles and regularly drive the partners manual without any troubles at all.

Is there a common fault with these? Could it be due to it being an ex demonstrator? Am I just a rubbish driver?

Thanks in advance 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn't have thought you would get that on a relatively new car unless it has been hammered.

I would possibly ask the dealer to check the clutch adjustment to see if it is within spec. If you have a warranty with them, possibly get them to come with you and if it knackered, maybe they will come to the party. Trouble is though, you would have to prove that it was like that when you got the car, so their fault.

Don't know how you would do that.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I first found this if I had driven to hard while in Touring mode.. leaving it in sports mode I've not had the issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does the clutch drag at all, or does it make a bit of a clunk when you put it from neutral into first. If it does it might just be that the fluid is contaminated or something. Try changing it and it might solve your problem.

Large power and excellent traction mean the clutch will take a hit before spinning the wheels up, unless you dump the clutch. 

You soon get used to it and tbh I gave up with fast starts from a stand still, instead engaging first fully before giving it full pelt, thus saving clutch and tyres 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

The Evoras have an issue where the clutch fluid boils, and there was a TSB to replace the clutch fluid and install a heat shield on the clutch tube.  Some Evoras also have had to have slave cylinder (plastic) replaced.

Sounds like you may have some trapped gasses in the fluid or a failing slave that is not fully releasing the clutch.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Martin, 

Over the last year I have now gone back to using touring mode for basic motorway driving, i.e drive up to Scotland.. and I got over 250 miles to the tank.. which I think is good going.. I can't get anywhere near that in sports mode.. you just need to remember not to drive it too hard in Touring mode.. and its fine.