free hit
counters
Elise Cup 250 announced by Lotus - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Elise Cup 250 announced by Lotus

TLF News

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Hmm.... a car which appears to have lost a lot of weight... by changing how they weigh the cars. Not cool.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the downforce figures are DOWN on the old car, and look less extreme too? A shame, as that was a standout feature of the old 250... a car I adore.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

41 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the downforce figures are DOWN on the old car, and look less extreme too? A shame, as that was a standout feature of the old 250... a car I adore.

Different values at different speed...

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/introducing-the-lotus-elise-cup-250/

I agree the old was bit far more aggressive and the new back is horrible.

Why is there no love for this beautiful machine? Can't understand it. I've been waiting for this announcement all of May to see that the full Sprint upgrades have all gone through. I fear most of you who prefer supercharged lardy-arsed Exiges and even Evorachat 410 anally-superfluous discussions (me included tbf) , are like some ravenous power-beast cylinder snobs. Shame. Show this aesthetically nurtured neophyte some lurve ?

Edited by Hellers
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

Actually I loved the Cup 250 for it's Scrappy-Do, come-and-have-a-go-if-you-think-you're-hard-enough look, from the Aero which looked like it was bulging out of the car. Perhaps the pictures don't do it justice but this car looks a little...... softer?

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Looking at the prices this may be the model where JMG has overdone it with hiking the margins (or a hats off to him if he pulles it off).

Nearing 70 K€ for an Elise is Porsche level pricing for a basically hasn't 20 year old design.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Looks like it has lost some of the signature elements to the front splitter and barge boards a curious move that could be responsible for the loss of downforce. The 220/250 Cups made more force than any other car in the range. Being optimistic this is about aero efficiency, less drag for similar downforce. Being pessimistic it's cost cutting on the basis that no-one will notice or care.

I adore and applaud the concept of the Elise Cup and like a lot about this new one but if I was a 4cyl purist I'd jump on one of the outgoing Cup cars.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Looks like we're back to agreeing @The Pits :D

It looks to me like the pointed triangular section at the front of the barge boards (no idea of the proper technical name) has disappeared, and the rear diffuser has shrunk considerably.

As much as this Carbon fibre goodness looks stunning, I can't help but feel the weight reduction is coming from your wallet - I am reasonably sure there are panels on these cars which are heavier in carbon than they are composite.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Have to agree with all the comments on the above.

Lotus pricing is becoming questionable this days. Have worked out that a fully specced Cup is close on GBP 75,000! It is obviously a great car but are Lotus pricing themselves out of the market.

Much better to save a shed load of money with the outgoing version which ticks all the boxes.( And not saying that because I just bought one)

• Like 1

agree,I think Lotus have made a mistake with this Cup car. Previous Elise Cup cars looked special, this one not so much.

I think Lotus did it right with the Exige Cup 380 but if I were in the market for an Elise Cup, I would be looking at the previous models.

Wasted opportunity.

• Gold FFM

Yes, I am most perplexed. The new Exige Cup looks indescribably hardcore, so to soften the Elise Cup seemed a surprising direction to take

James Martin (JayEmm)

There's much about this car I still love, and I think it may look better in a more aggressive colour. All the carbon bits don't bother me so I could spec one for less than £50k - I'd probably only want mats and metallic paint.

We need @The Pits to fire up his Photoshop. Black, Grey and Red please :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgn340r said:

Have to agree with all the comments on the above.

Lotus pricing is becoming questionable this days. Have worked out that a fully specced Cup is close on GBP 75,000! It is obviously a great car but are Lotus pricing themselves out of the market.

Much better to save a shed load of money with the outgoing version which ticks all the boxes.( And not saying that because I just bought one)

Ooooh can we have some pics please? 

Seriously?! Wow! I'd definitely take that over the new one. Inspired move! I actually think the original 250 Cup has the makings of a future classic. Very few bought one it seems because of the proximity to the V6 but those that did bought a seminal Lotus driving experience. The new one will be exceptional to drive too I'm sure and remain similarly rare but just look at the 'old' one! ?

• Like 1

The old is better in every angle.

They think seriously to survive till 2020 when (maybe) the new elise model will be done with this ugly thing?

Look to the front: the big aero scoops seems fake, inside there is same little air passage...

Lotus-Elise_Cup_250-2017-1600-04.jpg

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, pgn340r said:

Here you go

IMG_1086_NEW.jpg

IMG_0987_NEW.jpg

thats bloody lovely.... top marks given... 

On 31/05/2017 at 20:43, JayEmm said:

Hmm.... a car which appears to have lost a lot of weight... by changing how they weigh the cars. Not cool.

Lost the big rear diffuser and big round tip exhaust and rest of aero have changed and not for the good, go and get the Toxic from Bell and Colvill it's not going to be there long after the new Gen 250

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.