free hit
counters
Struggling to think of replacement for 400 - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Struggling to think of replacement for 400

DJW

Why don't you keep the Evora and buy something complementary? How about a TVR? Kerridges have a lovely Sagaris in at the moment, if I had 65-70k allocated for buying a car and not to the house (trying to avoid @Gm77 suggesting that I have some money spare at the moment!) I'd be seriously looking at that. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@DJW

First: Just Forget this, save the time running around searching for the "wrong" car and spend the time on nice b roads with your actual Evora

Second: If this does not makes you happy try a AMG GT / GTS / etc.(if "no Manual" is fine for you)

Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio..:wub:

510bhp, chassis designed/developed by Mr Speciale with an Italian soundtrack! 

As quick as an Evora for all intense purposes.. modern, fast and if you pick one like the one below you might be able to dodge the depreciation if its only for 6 months... 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/alfa-romeo/giulia/alfa-romeo-giulia-2-9-v6-bi-turbo-510hp-quadrifoglio/6828771

You gotta at least go test drive one! 

Im actually thinking of trying an i3 for everyday stuff  (Elise for track and fun). Like you can't think of anything less than stupid money to better my M3 for everyday stuff. So thinking of giving up on hard performance for commuting. Quite like the idea of giving the electric thing a go, I'll probably hate it but you never know! 

IMG_1441.JPG

• Like 1

Greatt discussion guys. 

To asnwer some points. 

Alpine - have one on order for 2018 - haven't seen one in flesh yet though  

12C - after speaking to an owner on weekend who had £40k worth of warranty done in one year, one needs to allow for £3.5k warranty pa. 

540/570 - like the looks, although a bit nervous of depreciation. Haven't driven one but expect it to be an Evora on steroids.  I do like the noise from Evora at low / normal revs ; not sure if McLaren might sound a bit tame 

Aero 8 - good shout as did try to buy one a few years back but dealer reversed it into a pillar !!  Walked from that one 

Merc SL - too Lardy for me 

masterati - cheap way to get into fezza engine, although a bloody big car

i8 - I am intrigued to try one and cheapest car to have doors go up ;)

classics - love some of the cars listed but prices are over inflated in my view and a correction will come around.  Sod's law I would get caught when it did 

Buy a second car - currently finishing off an Ultima GTR build with a friend , which we will sell. Could then have an Exige 350 beside Evora. 

Will try and get a test drive of a Gardner Douglas Cobra, as always had a soft spot for them. 

Budget - can stretch to £140-150k if the only toy but don't want to take a bath on depreciation.   Always nicer to spend less ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Forgot to reply to AMG GTS idea. Love the look of car from front and rear, interior , spec etc, but from a side angle that front looks a tad too long and low vs rest of body.  Worth trying though I suppose. 

Earliest cars are early £90's now. Wonder how low they will go ?

7 hours ago, Snoopy1969 said:

@DJW

First: Just Forget this, save the time running around searching for the "wrong" car and spend the time on nice b roads with your actual Evora

Second: If this does not makes you happy try a AMG GT / GTS / etc.(if "no Manual" is fine for you)

Just done the mountain road at Isle of Man a dozen time over the weekend .  No speed limits is great !! ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

@DJW : I was not a great fan of the GTS, because of its mainstream badge (even though one of my daily is a GLK), its configuration (front engine with long bonnet), but the one I tried (solar beam yellow with black wheels) was really gorgeous and with a well balanced bodyshape, and a great interior (black alcantara with yellow stitching), and what an engine ! As a MKIV Cobra owner, I've got a bias regarding V8 engines, but what a machine ! not a screaming one like a Ferrari, but with so much torque and a low tone... it's true that the 570GT that I drove sounded dull compared to that, whereas both are turbocharged ! and the exhaust sound of the 570 is a bit like a lot of sportcars those days, "farting" rather than burbling, whereas the GTS is like thunder... Really impressed, with electronics well calibrated ! I do still think front end is too far from the driver, and on twisting roads, you can't have the precision you have on Lotusses or Maccas, nor the same point of view... and the interior is a bit narrow on a such big car ! but what a machine ...

on the sensible side, my choice would remain  GT4 for a coupé and Exige V6 Roadster for an convertible, and on the expensive side, 540/570 for a coupé and Huracan Spider for a convertible. I was prepared to sell my Cobra MKIV to buy a 540C, but after having tested it, I couldn't justify to myself the difference (purchase + running costs) vs my Exige Roadster, which is still a joy after almost 2 years, and is perfect for inspired driving on mountain roads ! as JMG once said, it's 90% of a Macca, for less than half the price :) ...

• Like 1

Thanks @French Frie .  Might try a test drive in the GTS to be sure 

How do you find the Cobra by the way, as always come back from Spa Classic wanting one after seeing them race ?

Agree the Evora is a bargain vs the competition out there 

@Trevsked might be able to offer a little insight?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

16 minutes ago, Bibs said:

@Trevsked might be able to offer a little insight?

Yep, already had a chat on the phone with Trev a while back. Sounds an impressive package , although maybe a bit sedate sounding at normal speeds for my liking. Suppose I ought to test drive one to see for myself, although really didn't want to spend that amount if possible ?

22 minutes ago, dalepearson said:

Dave if you get a McLaren I would like a nose around please :)

Last time you looked around my car you went off and bought one within 24hrs ?

Edited by DJW

13 minutes ago, DJW said:

Last time you looked around my car you went off and bought one within 24hrs ?

True, but I am certain I don't have McLaren money ... or I would have one already.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

• Gold FFM

I should be driving a 570 in the next few weeks and will be doing a comparison with the Evora 400, should have some solid opinions for you by then

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

On 01/06/2017 at 12:52, JayEmm said:

How about an old Elise Cup 250?

There are no old 250s for sale only new ones?

On 01/06/2017 at 15:53, auRouge said:

Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio..:wub:

510bhp, chassis designed/developed by Mr Speciale with an Italian soundtrack! 

As quick as an Evora for all intense purposes.. modern, fast and if you pick one like the one below you might be able to dodge the depreciation if its only for 6 months... 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/alfa-romeo/giulia/alfa-romeo-giulia-2-9-v6-bi-turbo-510hp-quadrifoglio/6828771

You gotta at least go test drive one! 

Im actually thinking of trying an i3 for everyday stuff  (Elise for track and fun). Like you can't think of anything less than stupid money to better my M3 for everyday stuff. So thinking of giving up on hard performance for commuting. Quite like the idea of giving the electric thing a go, I'll probably hate it but you never know! 

IMG_1441.JPG

Going to be my next car, getting to old to get in and out of lotus tubs now days and a Alfa with a Ferrari engine good shout

1 minute ago, JayEmm said:

@scotty435 @Stratton Motor Company have a stunning Toxic Green for sale and Bell & Colvill presently have a tasty blue demo

Toxic is the way to go and will get even more attention than your yellow Evora , which we all like if we don't admit it

IMG_0726.JPG

On 6/2/2017 at 10:26, JayEmm said:

I should be driving a 570 in the next few weeks and will be doing a comparison with the Evora 400, should have some solid opinions for you by then

See my Post #345 here, about my experience driving the 570S:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/deciding-another-car-339506/index18.html

• Like 1

On 01/06/2017 at 07:49, French Frie said:

second hand 540/570 would be my choice (if not Evora), but depreciation can be still high, and running costs are far more expensive...

So far my running costs on the 540 are comparable to the Evora, servicing costs are a little more but not insane, fuel consumption's fine, insurance/tax is up though. The depreciation's good at the moment too, lead times for new cars are still quite long which probably helps. They're amazing cars, as i said in a previous post, very Lotus like to drive and in terms of character. 

• Like 2

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

The difficulty of finding a replacement for the 400 really comes down to what you value in the 400.  For me, the 400 represents a practical, light sports car, which is available with a manual transmission.  Practical is a loaded term as it could mean many things.  My definition of practicality is that it must fit my golf clubs (at least one set) and have room for luggage for a weekend getaway for two.  With that definition of practicality, the McLaren fails (in addition to lacking a stick option).  In fact, the Porsche 911 is the only other car I can think of in the US market that is practical, light, and has a manual option (at least on some models).  This is aside from the fact that the McLaren costs twice as much as the 400, which would preclude the McLaren from being a viable alternative to the 400 for most people.