free hit
counters
OBD2 bluetooth adaptor that works with Evora - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

OBD2 bluetooth adaptor that works with Evora

Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor that works with their Evora and doesn't cost £100?  I've built up a small collection over the years, my 1x cheap (£7) and 2x midrange (£20) Bluetooth adaptors all fail to connect to the Evora but work fine on BMW and Renault cars, my cheap WiFi adaptor does work but I need WiFi for my GoPro so that's not a good solution for me.  Annoyingly both the cheap BT and WiFi adaptors look virtually identical so no idea why one would work and one wouldn't :cry:

Edited by Del Lardo
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It worked with the phone! 😃 No fault codes reported, even in the historical file, but it did have a dead battery in the last month so I would assume that would clear it? Thanks chaps.  

Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor that works with their Evora and doesn't cost £100?  I've built up a small collection over the years, my 1x cheap (£7) and 2x midrange (£20) Bluetooth adap

I can recommend this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011O69946/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It has worked well with all the iOS apps I have tried.

Hi Paul,

What device are you trying to connect your Bluetooth OBDII adaptor to? If it's IOS then it won't work due to data not being able to pass through Bluetooth. Only a WIFI device works. I've bought quite a few WIFI ones for less than a tenner. It's the smaller ones on Ebay. They work quite well.

David

i have a generic £10 ebay job will check it on the evora later, only on android tho ios doesnt work.. it works on all other cars i have... so hopefully will

• Gold FFM

I have a generic £10 one from Amazon that works fine on my Evora. I have a branded £90 one that works too. The former does all i need it to do and also works on my VX220.

The latter, has a far higher speed and is good for use with Harry's lap timer etc.

I use Harry's Lap Timer and Torque on a Samsung Android phone and work fine via bluetooth. I believe the Bluetooth ones, I think, are the ones that have an issue with iOS.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I'm using iOS and Android, aware that iOS has an issue with the Bluetooth adaptors.  I'd like to be able to use Harry's Lap Timer and my Go Pro at the same time so Android and Bluetooth seems to be the only option.  What's the refresh rate like on the cheaper adaptor?  The WiFi one I have does seem to be pretty poor.

Almost all dongles work with the Evora. Only issue I ever had was a freak OBD disturbance whilst continuously running a very cheap dongle.Now using an OBDlink MX, which is one of the premium devices.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2017 at 16:12, plenty said:

This one has an interesting feature compared to the others, it stops the dials working :lol:

I found another one in my collection yesterday whilst clearing out a drawer and it works despite looking absolutely identical to the one that stops the dials working

37 minutes ago, Del Lardo said:

This one has an interesting feature compared to the others, it stops the dials working :lol:

I found another one in my collection yesterday whilst clearing out a drawer and it works despite looking absolutely identical to the one that stops the dials working

Do elaborate.  You used one of these and your dials stopped working?

I plugged it in, the tacho went to zero, the fuel gauge dropped a notch and the traction control off light came on.  Unplugging it and turning the ignition off and on again fixed it but I wasn't minded to try again with that adaptor.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought this one from eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191512152709

However, my Bluetooth 4.1 using OnePlus One can't see it for some reason.

Any suggestions / sensible priced alternatives?

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

17 minutes ago, DrRick said:

Bought this one from eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191512152709

However, my Bluetooth 4.1 using OnePlus One can't see it for some reason.

Any suggestions / sensible priced alternatives?

Check the lights on the dongle are actually coming on, I've found that most light up for a second and then turn off so there's nothing for your phone to actually find as it's not powered on.

I certainly saw the light come on, just need to have another look to see how long it stays on for. Seems odd that I can't even see the dongle over BT, let alone connect (or not) to it.

I may just hold off sorting it until I've got my head unit squared away, which may have a BT connection to a dongle, then I can have Torque on a bigger screen.

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

I bought one of these from Amazon..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CG0XWDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OBD Dongle functions when plugged in and under different power situations (ancillary, engine running) but it utterly fails to allow either my iPhone 7+ , Samsung Galaxy S8+ or Windows/MacBook to connect.  All display "unable to connect".  In the single instance I DID get it to connect it gave absolutely no throughput.  

AVOID. 

I've a few of the ones from ebay and the trick with them is that you need to pair within a very short time of it powering on, or you can't. If it fails, you need to unplug it and plug it back in then try again. Once they're paired, they do stay paired nicely. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 year later...

I just got one of these Vgate ODB reader but I cant get it to work - perhaps I am missing something silly?

When I plug it in I get the power light and the OBD and Wi FI lights bling as per the instructions. So far so good. 

The problem is when I come to look for it with my device. My device finds the unit, no problem, however when I go to connect I get the message "wifi has no internet access".  

I had the key in the right position, I also tried it with the engine running to see if that made a difference. I also tried unplugging and plugging back in about 5 times. The car has a new battery so that wont be an issue.

I am using android, Samsung devices to try and connect. Secondly - I have noticed that after 60 seconds the OBD light goes on and stays on the unit. I don't think that's supposed to happen?

Any advice please?