free hit
counters
Chargecooler - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me if you go to the Chargecooler on the G car you need to change out the engine cover for clearance.

Thanks,

Jeff

The engine cover needs some work for clearance issues and some slight fettling on the tail gate.

If you can get into the garage section (i can't anymore) you can look at my installation

Andy, where you been hiding??

I have been about keeping the odd eye on what you lot are up to......

I have been rebuilding my car after smashing it up last May (ran out of talent on a track day)

The cars back from paint and its being MOT'd tomorrow, Fingers crossed.....

Ive found this pic of a UK spec Chargecooled G car Turbo Esprit Nick Warren had for sale last year (think its owned by someone on the forum now).

DSCF0016.jpg

JimmyBondi has a chargecooler on his Turbo Esprit also.

The USA federal engine cover is different though, so you may get away without cutting it up Jeff.

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

That's my blue car ( www.a-clements.co.uk).

The badge on the charge cooler sits slightly below the top surface of the engine cover, so you could not have the badge on there, and then simply remove the fibreglass ridge and it should fit.

The other thing done, can't be seen on that photo, is to cut a small area of the lip that would sit in the engine compartment vent, (the bit of the tail gate).

On mine, I'm planning to re-glass that engine cover, just raise the surface up so that it's all enclosed again.

Andy

Andy,

Welcome back, and good luck w/ your Esprit!

Cheers, Lee

Thanks Lee

Pleasure and Pain, it passed the MOT with a few advisor's Mainly 24 year old front suspension bushes (no probs)

However got home to find water in the oil, Bugger looks like another rebuild on the way...... why o why do we put ourselves through so much....

Just realised that the garage isn't working

Edited by AJay

Andy,

Sorry to hear about the water in the oil. I had compression/combustion pressure getting into the cooling system on mine, prior to the rebuild. I actually ran it sucessfully like that for over a year! Not sure what to suggest about the leak you may have, but make sure you consider all possibilities before tearing it down. Is there any chance that while you were repairing the body, the length of time allowed condensation to build up inside the engine? I know it's a stretch, but worth investigating. Maybe a cheap oil change just to see what effect there would be and perhaps a bit of 'stop leak'.

Let us know what you find. My apologies to Jeff for hijacking his thread!

Cheers, Lee

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me if you go to the Chargecooler on the G car you need to change out the engine cover for clearance.

Thanks,

Jeff

Have you put on a chargecooler?

I know Volvo have a nice doorgasked you can use in the place where you have cutted so you gett a nicer apereance.

Why not build a larger chargecooler on the plenum side so its almost hidden.Then you can use a bigger and better chargecooler with better flow thrue the hole pipe system.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

I have a chargecooler fitted to my 87 HCI. The cam cover has been reversed i.e. the oil filler is the bottom cam cover now. The engine cover has not been cut. I have the expansion chamber in the trunk area. I have pictures but I find it a hastle to post them on the site. If anyone can tell me how to do it I will post them.

Edited by watership down

Jeff

I have a chargecooler on my 86, installed without the logo top plate. The engine cover fits fine with no modifications. I am close to you if you want to see it in person.

Peter

Work - Watsonville

Home - Rio Del Mar

Thanks Peter and I would like to compare notes with you. The engine is getting ready to go back together and I also need to do the the necessary plumbing. What did you do for the heat exhanger (radiator), pump, etc.

If I could see the car that would be great to get some ideas. I am in Salinas do not far away.

Jeff

[email protected]

www.espritturbo.com