free hit
counters
Essex Blue Dry Sump Turbo - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
stephenwhyte

Essex Blue Dry Sump Turbo

Just came across this in at CarCraft in Edinburgh - needs a lot of work but apparently the plan is to bring it back to life. Mechanical issues sorted first and then onto a full restoration. I remember seeing this firstly at Stock Coachworks and then on carandclassic for sale. Great to seeB-)

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It wasn't one of mine , If I remember rightly it was UK sports Cars who had it on Ebay last year .

• Like 1

Sorry Mark, I thought I'd seen at yours but now you've reminded me, I now remember it was at UKSportcars parked beside a bus in the ad. Think John Walsh may have been involved in the sale of it at that time too?

Looks like the restoration of this own will be a massive undertaking but it is a one previous owner car apparently and a Dry Sump so it will have have value if restored well. I will keep you all posted as its being mechanically restored next to a place I visit monthly. Hopefully the new owner will appear on here at some point too. Owners surname is Gorman.

• Like 1

From UK sports cars, to a forum member on here and now for sale by someone else. Sold/ for sale 3 times in 6 months, maybe it's more work than they've anticipated. Hopefully it'll stick with an owner soon and be brought back to life.

Yes this was my car for a short period. Its very nice but needs full restoration. Maybe new owner underestimated the work. Don't believe there is any hidden agenda, nothing more than you would expect to do. 

• Like 2

How strange - only spoke to the owner of the garage today too, who are restoring the car and apparently the owner had just increased the budget to get the work done. According to him the owner was planning to fully restore the car bit by bit. Head gasket has gone and needs water pump sorting but other than it all looks to be good. Engine is out and work is underway. Pretty sure the wheels shown in the car and classic ad are from an old photo and it now has 4 compomotives on it now......as I thought they were aftermarket initially

• Like 1

Strange it is advertised. The advert photos are from my house and also uk sports cars. Good to hear its underway and he has found the wheels. Didn't know it needed a head gasket but it makes sense to pull then engine and go through it. Let's hope we see the beauty back on the road 

Dry sump water pump doesn't sound much but it's a massive amount of money if you need a new one as I recall.  

The only difference with the dry sump water pump is the shaft is longer and the pulley pressed on rather than mounting onto a flange, but rebuilding it would be the same as any other water pump.

Seems this car has passed amongst a couple of owners who were not planning to do the work themselves and when they got quotes the cost was prohibitive. It needs to go to an owner/restorer. These cars are not yet in the Ferrari bracket where its economically viable to pay someone to do a full resto and expect the cost to be reflected in value.

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

The only difference with the dry sump water pump is the shaft is longer and the pulley pressed on rather than mounting onto a flange, but rebuilding it would be the same as any other water pump.

Andy

We've had the same discussion previously. If you need a new dry sump water pump they are very expensive. I know, I've got the T shirt to prove it.

4 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Andy

We've had the same discussion previously. If you need a new dry sump water pump they are very expensive. I know, I've got the T shirt to prove it.

OK trying to remember the details, maybe you are right, is the shaft actually longer and this is integral with the bearing? 

SJ are listing reconditioned dry sump water pump at £89 but that is not a 100% reliable information source!

As I recall when Lotus still had them they were about £1200 each by the time you added on VAT.

When this car came up for sale first time round I chatted to Barry from Lyte and Wakefield mentioned in the ebay listing (who is part time now, but still looks after my Esprit) and he remembers the car well.In that it was the first Esprit Turbo they serviced that had been used regularly day in and out, all year round. Barry seems to remember the owner doing about 20,000 plus miles a year in the car and he thinks they rebuilt the engine twice in his time and it was always in the workshop every couple of months for a service too. 

We did some sums on the back of a fag packet and the numbers then didn't make financial sense with the engine rebuild and respray, replacement wheels and retrim etc...But I sure it will make someone a nice car.  

• Like 2

I only took those 2 pics John - look after her👍

• Like 2

wow .Pleased for  you  John.  Fantastic  car . Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skiing said:

Lovely car - would love to see more pics of this one!

Further pics after interior and paintwork is seen to, but dont hold your breath waiting, it's going to be a while.

• Like 1

Cheers Stephen. She's ging for a run up to Cullen to meet up with the A96 group on Sunday and that will be her first run out.Slight missfire at the moment, but I suspect damp on the plug leads as it came down hard snow the night she was elivered and has been uncovered since.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cbclotus said:

wow .Pleased for  you  John.  Fantastic  car . Mike

Hi Mike, hope all's well with you and the family. Yep, going to be a cracking car once all done. Known about it for a couple of years through another member on the forum. It went to another enthusiast I know who then had a change of plan and it landed with me rather than going to a dealer who would have milked it. This could well be a keeper if my big feet can still fit between the pedals.

That's great  John .Have fun ....Mike

• Like 1