free hit
counters
1991 SE tires - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1991 SE tires

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Alejandro,

Also have a 91 SE.

I'm using Firestone Firehawk 195/55/15 Oval Indy 500 on the front and 245/50/16 Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 in the rear using the original OZ Route rims.

They are okay for street.  Haven't raced yet since the car has had a lot of maintenance (many $$$$$) - think D service instead of C service.  Would like to race, but afraid I might break something really expensive.

I couldn't get the exact factory spec size in the front, but this was the best I could do to have a matching set.  I wanted Michelin Pilots, but they don't make them in our size.

The only good thing is the price is significantly lower $579.00 plus tax for all four balanced and mounted.  The Michelin's are well over a grand for all four when going to 17 fronts and 18 rears.

I hope this helps.

Bill

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

• Gold FFM

For the rears I'm using BF Goodrich Sport Comp, in 255/50R16. Slightly wider than original, but not really noticeable. BF do a similar tire in 245/50R16 as well, the Comp-2. Not racing tires, but they do very well on my daily driver, I'd expect the Comp-2 to be even better in the wet. 

For the front it's a lot harder to find a suitable tire in the correct size. Toyo have the R888, but that is too track-oriented for my use. The Pirelli Asimmetrico is very expensive and I'm put off by it's design. Which only leaves the Toyo Proxes, though it's only V-rated. 

Do post up if you find any alternatives!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Were you able to get the factory recommended sizes on those Kumho Ecsta?  I believe those are as follows for the 91 SE:

Front: 215/50R15

Rear: 245/50R16

Sometimes the US can't get some of those Euro tires in the states.  Really $344 US dollars - seems very inexpensive?

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Rears are correct 245/50/16, in fact Kumho were the only new manufacturer I could find for this size. Fronts are 205/55/15, the accepted substitute for the 215s which seem to be NLA new.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

7 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Rears are correct 245/50/16, in fact Kumho were the only new manufacturer I could find for this size. Fronts are 205/55/15, the accepted substitute for the 215s which seem to be NLA new.

Good man! Although I'm running the same Ecstas but 205/50/15 :D which I believe is also available. 

Seriously good tires for a cracking price. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

16 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

17 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Just put a full set of Kumho Ecsta on mine. £270 for a full set! ?

For now those are the closest ones I have found, Thanks all for your help

Edited by lince
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...