free hit
counters
1991 SE tires - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Wanted to know what are you using in your cars that can be found for the original wheels. My tires are old and would like to replace them for safety.

Thank you in advance

Edited by lince

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Alejandro,

Also have a 91 SE.

I'm using Firestone Firehawk 195/55/15 Oval Indy 500 on the front and 245/50/16 Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 in the rear using the original OZ Route rims.

They are okay for street.  Haven't raced yet since the car has had a lot of maintenance (many $$$$$) - think D service instead of C service.  Would like to race, but afraid I might break something really expensive.

I couldn't get the exact factory spec size in the front, but this was the best I could do to have a matching set.  I wanted Michelin Pilots, but they don't make them in our size.

The only good thing is the price is significantly lower $579.00 plus tax for all four balanced and mounted.  The Michelin's are well over a grand for all four when going to 17 fronts and 18 rears.

I hope this helps.

Bill

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

For the rears I'm using BF Goodrich Sport Comp, in 255/50R16. Slightly wider than original, but not really noticeable. BF do a similar tire in 245/50R16 as well, the Comp-2. Not racing tires, but they do very well on my daily driver, I'd expect the Comp-2 to be even better in the wet. 

For the front it's a lot harder to find a suitable tire in the correct size. Toyo have the R888, but that is too track-oriented for my use. The Pirelli Asimmetrico is very expensive and I'm put off by it's design. Which only leaves the Toyo Proxes, though it's only V-rated. 

Do post up if you find any alternatives!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Just put a full set of Kumho Ecsta on mine. £270 for a full set! ?

• Like 2

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Were you able to get the factory recommended sizes on those Kumho Ecsta?  I believe those are as follows for the 91 SE:

Front: 215/50R15

Rear: 245/50R16

Sometimes the US can't get some of those Euro tires in the states.  Really $344 US dollars - seems very inexpensive?

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Rears are correct 245/50/16, in fact Kumho were the only new manufacturer I could find for this size. Fronts are 205/55/15, the accepted substitute for the 215s which seem to be NLA new.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

7 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Rears are correct 245/50/16, in fact Kumho were the only new manufacturer I could find for this size. Fronts are 205/55/15, the accepted substitute for the 215s which seem to be NLA new.

Good man! Although I'm running the same Ecstas but 205/50/15 :D which I believe is also available. 

Seriously good tires for a cracking price. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

16 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

17 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Just put a full set of Kumho Ecsta on mine. £270 for a full set! ?

For now those are the closest ones I have found, Thanks all for your help

Edited by lince
  • Like 1