free hit
counters
Lotus Exige S: Stock Exhaust vs 2Bular Road Exhaust - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
usurp

Lotus Exige S: Stock Exhaust vs 2Bular Road Exhaust

usurp    43

So back in May I ordered the road version of the 2Bular exhaust with the carbon tips (http://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/exige-v6-70mm-bore-system)
It was between that and the Larini but after a lot of reading and comparing whatever videos I could find online I ended up with the 2Bular. Contacted Jim who gave me a quote and I ended up giving him the go ahead to build it for me. Timeline was as follows:

May 12 - Ordered my exhaust
May 22 - Exhaust build complete
May 22 to 31 - I had to pay for the exhaust but his website didn't have Kuwait on the list so this took a few days to get sorted
May 31 - Finally paid for the exhaust
June 8 - Exhaust shipped

So whole process took less than a month. I got the exhaust yesterday, had it installed a few hours ago today. First impression is thats its pretty loud as expected. I was stuck in traffic mostly on the way home so didn't really get to test out the exhaust much. It kinda seems like there is quite a bit of drone at certain RPMs but I really need to play around with it more to understand all the sounds better. Gonna take it out in a few but managed to upload a comparison video, stock exhaust vs the 2bular. Shot in my underground parking and tried to keep the setup as close as possible. I had a Rode directional mic which I used to record the video. I honestly don't think its an accurate test just because when you're out driving they both sound very different. But I think this video at least shows the different sound pitches the exhaust have. 

I've also attached some photos below. Let me know if you have any questions. Once I get a few miles on the exhaust will update this thread with my views on it.

2bular1.jpg

2bular2.jpg

2bular3.jpg

2bular4.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
mbes2    46

Both sound good, in your video the std setup sounds fine to me 

I've been in two minds if to upgrade but keep changing my mind each time.. 

NANO    66

:thumbup:  Very nice, great choice ... you will see the more you will feel and you will love it !

chumaxa    6

I am sure the tubular sounds better in real, but in the video the standard sounds bit better ... 

usurp    43
13 minutes ago, chumaxa said:

I am sure the tubular sounds better in real, but in the video the standard sounds bit better ... 

Well I haven't posted a review yet since I'm still trying to figure it out. First day I hated the 2bular sound and was thinking of swapping it back to the stock. Now its grown on me. I find the stock exhaust more violent sounding, like when downshifting or heavy accelerating there are a lot more pops and stuff, but in 'Tour' mode the 2bular is wayyyyyy better, like 10x better than the stock sound.

sieger    2

That's odd.

I find my 2bular on Tour mode is actually really quiet and civilised (but deeper tone).

Opening the valve unleashes a lot of pops on the overrun, and it is bloody loud in the high rev range!

chumaxa    6

On the video the 2bular sounds quiet indeed. Who drive in touring mode anyway :D 

usurp    43

The video really doesn't do either of them justice, it just shows the different tones of the exhausts with the 2bular sound being a deeper one. And thats about it.

I've been trying to capture sound from inside the car while driving for the past couple of days but haven't gotten anything good to show yet. No idea how to capture the in cockpit sound accurately, the Rode Pro Mic isn't doing a good job connected to the Nikon D800 and a Sony RX1. I have a Zoom H4n with an external mic but the mic doesn't have a tripod port so no clue where i could mount the mic. Need to experiment more.

Generally though in touring mode the engine sounds great, its a deep tone and unlike with the stock exhaust, it no longer sounds like a Camry. In Sport mode the sound is really loud, much louder than the stock exhaust, but with me it lost all the pops and crackles which i liked in the stock exhaust.

I also have major drone at around 4000rpm. I've got an auto gearbox and driving slightly above the speed limit and holding it at that speed, the RPM is usually hovering around 4000 and the car won't upshift until it gets past 4500. To get rid of the drone i have to either upshift manually or kinda tap on the gas pedal to force the car to upshift to a higher gear. Not a big deal, just something I didn't have to do with the stock exhaust.

Anyway I've had the exhaust for less than a week and I'm sure the sound will change the more I drive the car so not really fair to judge it now. Once I get some more miles on the car I'll post a proper review and hopefully with sound samples.

Oh and visually, the 2bular looks wayyyy nicer than the stock exhaust and I think helps the car look wider and meaner from the rear.

sieger    2

Hmmm, yes-the auto box would make a difference I reckon.  4K rpm is where the noise starts becoming intrusive. 

I can't believe that you don't have more pops and crackles than stock!..,especially as you're coming to a stop. 

Noise on start up is a bit offensive too sometimes 😬

usurp    43
12 minutes ago, sieger said:

Hmmm, yes-the auto box would make a difference I reckon.  4K rpm is where the noise starts becoming intrusive. 

I can't believe that you don't have more pops and crackles than stock!..,especially as you're coming to a stop. 

Noise on start up is a bit offensive too sometimes 😬

It's really weird why I don't have any pops or crackles on downshifts, maybe i need to break in the exhaust a bit more so i could start hearing them. 

French Frie    270

regarding pops & crackles, you may have to wait  ... My Komotec backbox was a bit disappointing at first, with none of them at first, but now it has been run in (and tracked), it makes just the perfect volume to me, with smart pops & crackles when lifting off the pedal ! 

edited : @usurp: you came to the same conclusion by yourself :P !

Edited by French Frie
cross posting...

usurp    43
Just now, French Frie said:

regarding pops & crackles, you may have to wait  ... My Komotec backbox was a bit disappointing at first, with none of them at first, but now it has been run in (and tracked), it makes just the perfect volume to me, with smart pops & crackles when dropping the pedal ! 

yeah thats exactly my thoughts which is why i'm holding back on giving a proper review of the exhaust now. Already i've noticed on start up the sound has changed slightly and i'm sure its gonna keep changing and improving for awhile. Same with the stock exhaust, sounded completely different from when i first got it.

French Frie    270

PS: I've got an auto gearbox as well, and it sounds perfect with it ... and autoblips are insane B-) ! never use it on touring/auto mode, though ...

• Like 1