free hit
counters
Exige 380 - Michelin Cup 2 - Lotus recommended pressures? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige 380 - Michelin Cup 2 - Lotus recommended pressures?

Hope that some lucky person with a 380 would be able to let me know what Lotus recommend the (cold) tyre pressures to be for road driving.  I've fitted Cup 2s to my V6S and have been recommended very different pressures by different people.  

Could a 380 owner please let me know and put this debate to bed.

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thought I'd just ask Lotus themselves, they replied within 5 minutes which is great service.

Lotus Service Notes Section TDV

WHEELS & TYRES

Road Tyres ???????????????????????????????????????????

Type - Std. Pirelli P-Corsa

- Opt. Pirelli P Zero Trofeo (Available as a dealer option only after October 2014)

Size - Front 205/45 ZR17 - 88Y

- Rear 265/35 ZR18 - 97Y (std.) 93Y (opt.)

Standard Pressures (cold)

Manual & Automatic Vehicles

- Front - Std. & Opt. 2.2 bar (31.9 lb/in²)

- Rear - Std. & Opt. 2.6 bar (38.0 lb/in²)

Economy Pressures (cold)*

Automatic vehicles only

- Front - std tyres only 2.6 bar (38.0 lb/in²)

- Rear - std tyres only 3.0 bar (43.5 lb/in²)

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

affect the handling characteristics and the drivers enjoyment of the car. Lotus does not recommend these tyre

pressures are used at speeds in excess of 80mph (128kph).

Road Tyres ???????????????????????????????????????

Type Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup 2

Size - Front 215/45 R17 - 91Y

- Rear 265/35 R18 - 97Y

Tyre Pressure (cold)

Manual & Automatic Vehicles

- Front 2.0 bar (29 lb/in²)

- Rear 2.2 bar (32 lb/in²)

Winter Tyres?????????????

Type - Front Pirelli 210 SottoZero Serie II

- Rear Pirelli 240 SottoZero Serie II

Size - Front 205/45 R17 - 88V M+S

- Rear 235/40 R18 - 95V M+S

Pressure (cold)

- Front 2.3 bar (33 lb/in²)

- Rear 2.6 bar (36 lb/in²)

Tyre studding Not permitted

Tyre chains ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ? ? ? ?

and only on the approved winter tyres.

Updated 23rd February 2017

Well done Martin, that's really put this to bed as it ties up nicely with what Mark said.

I think I will run 30 all round for trackdays as this seemed to be reasonable for the corsas too.

The next problem is I have 4 tyre pressure gauges (two brand new) and they all report differently - bugger.

Edited by TonyKL

Just to confirm why the Michelin pressures are so different to the Pirellis, Lotus have said it is due to the stiffer sidewalls of the Michelins, which makes sense as when I swapped the Pirellis did have particularly soft sidewalls in comparison.

Have to say, its the second time I've contacted Lotus direct and each time they have replied very fast and very helpfully. You'd never be able to get such direct help from many other manufacturers, gives a good feeling.

Martin S

• 1 month later...

I have just installed the cup2 and was looking for road and track pressure :-)

29/32 PSI for the cup2 VS 32/38 for the Corsa. Huge difference.

after the pirelli, the avon, the toyo now it's time to test the michelin

I have been looking and it seems these tyres are not directional, so, if you wanted to perhaps get a bit more use out of them you could swap sides!?

I've written to Michelin to confirm this but many other sites say this is the case.

Martin S

• 1 month later...

Just to update, you can swap them around so I did, but it didn't go well.  I immediately had bad wheel balance type effects over certain speeds, so swapped them back and all was fine again.

I am assuming this maybe has something to do with the direction of wear the tyres had after being on for over 2500 miles as logically the balance should stay the same.

Martin S

My Pirelli Corsas are worn and with us moving to Soputhern France its time for semi slicks.

Looking for a status update, what are the current sugestions: Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Pilos Sport Cup 2?

Advantages, Performance, ...

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

And are more wet road compliant ! Because, even in Luberon, rain drops can happen, Thomas :P ,,,

BTW, just swapped my TD wheels with Cup2s  this afternoon, and put OEM wheels with Super Sport back ! I forgot how front tyre walls  were lower ... For the record, half of the tread (3mm)  is remaining on rear Cup2s, after 6,500 kms ... so not that bad (no track, lots of spirited driving) !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at teh price the Michelin Pilot Cup 2's are the only sensible option - and they are deliverable.

Has anyone thought about fitting the wider 285/30 R18 rears from the Exige Cup 380 on the non-cup wheels? I haven't found any reading about wider wheels on the cup. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

29 minutes ago, TBD said:

Looking at teh price the Michelin Pilot Cup 2's are the only sensible option - and they are deliverable.

... and they are french, just as you (almost) are :P ! May I remind you that chauvinism is a french word :blush: ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TBD said:

Has anyone thought about fitting the wider 285/30 R18 rears from the Exige Cup 380 on the non-cup wheels? I haven't found any reading about wider wheels on the cup. 

The cup380 uses a 10x18 forged wheel but has a 2mm fixed spacer to give a 32 offset.

The wider rear tyres will rub on the inner arch with 35 offset wheels

It's this reason I had forged wheels with a 33 offset made.....I knew that etc 35 wheels ' can sometimes' rub!!

5 hours ago, NW76 said:

@TBD the KT forged wheels (that you have I suppose) have a different offset than the standard Lotus wheels ... 285 might work for you on those ...

Yes, the Komotec wheels also have an offset of 33mm,v just as Dave's.I will go with the 285's and report back my experiences.

BTW: The fun will start with a set of hairpins right in front of our new house (picture from a soap box derby Apt held a few days ago).

IMG_9722.JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TBD said:

Yes, the Komotec wheels also have an offset of 33mm,v just as Dave's.I will go with the 285's and report back my experiences.

BTW: The fun will start with a set of hairpins right in front of our new house (picture from a soap box derby Apt held a few days ago).

IMG_9722.JPG

Looks fantastic ... hope you have enough ground clearance with the MS Splitter there ?

What would the hot pressure be?
If you start with 29/32 cold, the pressure could rise 10psi when tracking. Should one still try to keep 29/32 even when hot?

As i understand the car comes with TPSM. Is it possible to read out the pressure from them or do I have to buy my own sensors?

Does it really come with TPSM? 

29/32 psi is hot target pressure for track use... cold you should start a little lower (1.8 bar is what I do) and then deflate after a couple of laps once and maybe another time if necessary after some more laps...

• Like 1