free hit
counters
MOT failure - a bit of a shock - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stimpy

MOT failure - a bit of a shock

Hi.

My S4s failed it's MOT yesterday - I had given it over to SW Lotus to get an MOT plus fix issues that may come up.

Failed on the rear shocks

I thought that shocks would be like tyres - i.e. one size that would fit a variety of cars but alas no.

So it's my job to go and find some shocks / springs / bolts etc relating to the rear shocks.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding trying to source these?  I'm about to do a big search but I thought I'd put this question here up front because sometimes you find that one post to this forum and someone somewhere is kind enough to point right to the answer.

So - it's a 1996 S4s and SW told me that shocks from the S4 and later do the trick.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has a good answer!   Off to google land now......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've sjsportscars and pnm engineering and there *seems* to be availability - seems to be a costly state of affairs (e.g.. the springs costing more than the dampers)

Look on the bright side - it's a relatively simple job.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I'm what's called an Oracle DBA - diagnose some poor performance issues on one of our financial databases!!   :-) 

I jest, of course, but I guess what I'm saying is ...   Oil change? Yep.... Spark plugs? Can do..... Stupid indicator bulb slipped out of the front left indicator - PITA but did it with much blood spillage.

I wish I could do it but it's over to the professionals - which I'm thinking was your meaning anyway (i.e. lesser man hours).

I think I may be sorted re: the bits.  Will find out tomorrow.

I shan't go into the other issue yet - well maybe - nutshell time - car runs good at low speeds - car runs good when gradually winding the revs up to the 7k mark - but put your fut down for max turbo and at around 4~5k revs turns into a tractor (both the sound and the performance).  First things first.

And thanks for letting me know that it's not an engine-out thing - or equivalent.

Do you want to buy a 1 year old Civic GT type -R ?    No?   Well I thought I'd ask....    :-) 

Changing the shocks is easy.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Yes, fewer man-hours.  On the other issue I'd be taking a good look at the airbox/turbo hose.  It might be collapsing under load.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I'm running Gaz aftermarket rear shocks specced for "all esprits 1988-1996" (yeah right), height and rate adjustable. The rears are very, very trouble free to fit. It's a few hours work, at most.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8