free hit
counters
Had my Esprit for 30 years - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ChrisJ

Had my Esprit for 30 years

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As above What a fantastic tale .Looking good and very well cared for .Good on you....Mike

• Like 1

Respect, Chris. 30 year ownership must be a very small club.

• Like 1

So you have washed it 3 times in 30 years. ? Great bit of nostalgia. Enjoyed that 

Dan 

• Like 2

I was 2 when you bought it! Congrats on such a long ownership, very rare :)

• Like 1

Well done Chris. I'm only nudging seven.

An aside. Were you in a tornado in the fourth picture? The air is full of crap. ;) 

• Like 1

Happy days with Lotus... all 10957 of them.

Nice pics and as the others say, just goes to show, that once the Lotus have Struck, then you know what a good sportscar is supposed to look and be like ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Well done Chris. I'm not far behind you at 27 for my S3. A great journey.

• Like 2

Talk about longevity and dedication. And the car still looks as good (if not better) today, than it did 30 years ago. How many metal bodied cars can claim the same? 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments - look forward to reading other owner's journeys when they reach a milestone.

Apologies for the dust storms in the earlier photos, had to scan them in from negatives/slides. The quality & quantity of photos has certainly improved with the advent of digital cameras. But I must remember to take more of my car as I do have a load of other cars at events I've attended, and have left mine out - so I need to get snapping for my next instalment in 10 years time

@Dan E I used to wash the car religiously every couple of weeks during the summer back in the day. Don't seem to be able to find the time now days with kids and all their sporting events. I think I've had 2 completely free weekends since Christmas.

I must admit, when it came out of hibernation it still looked good - my very own barn find

y4mJEED2Z5Dl7qNAMgoYBbGl0phRerhGaPIqQt_M

10 years worth of dust - no mice thank goodness.

y4mbzt20v10USn3SdtLbMzQ7T_M1rrT0yWW66Yh8

My brothers' car had been hibernating even longer

y4mDT6i0Z3xGK5nDdFvxgLoipyRAUYb3BHnBtk_7

He bought this when at university around 1979/80. took it back to the chassis & rebuilt it back up, got it taxed and an MOT in 1983 - and then just stopped work on it completely - which I never understood. It sat in a garage for 30 years doing nothing. He sold it plus the couple of spares cars he had broken up, plus about 6 engines for £1k when my Mum moved down to live next to me in 2014 after my dad died. I've offered to buy it over the years, but he always refused - very strange.

• Like 1

Fab car, good story and great ownership Chris. I've just completed my first 6 months with mine and she's a keeper. My boys are asking if my will is updated ?. Says it all.

• Like 1

So many deadly photos Chris! 3rd one though; '88 at Castle Combe, just does it on every level. The car, the light, the grain, the dust, don't care how cleverly filters are written these days, only a proper piece of film can produce that feeling. Love it!

• Like 1

Great timeline Chris :yes:

It soon sneaks up on you !  13 years with the S3 now, seems like only yesterday !

I was 9 or 10 when you took ownership and probably still playing with star wars figures while you will of been cruising in the turbo :)

• Like 1

Nice story Chris,car has kept its looks better than the owner:devil:

• Like 1

Bought mine in 1988; so thirty years comes up next year.....

• Like 1