free hit
counters
1995 S4s misfire - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
fflyingdog

1995 S4s misfire

Had a right saga fixing a misfire on the car , eventually troubleshoot to bad pump and manky fuel filter .Didnt always happen so was a right pain to pin down ,it seems my fuel pump was sometimes faltering causing a lack of fuel  (obviously) and a spluttering fuel filter was not a pretty sight either .

Simplest things first.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad it's sorted NIck and you've got the car back on the road :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

How did you spot it?

Mine has a spluttering habit now, suspect fuel pump/filter. They're the originals...

• Like 1

You have an S4 with an original fuel filter!!?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

They built them good and proper before the war  ;-)

• Haha 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

If you're looking for a replacement fuel pump, the Bosch one I fitted that Travis recommended works well for me.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

Misfire raised its ugly head under harsh acceleration,almost like a cylinder was down,steady throttle movement was fine ,i changed the pump as well as filter which wasn't great to be honest.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Well my misfire was a multitude of things.

First, there was an air leak with a blown gasket between the manifold and turbo. Second, the plugs were changed due to 1 and 4 running rich (or lean can't remember) but this may have been a symptom of the actual reason which may have been the fuel pump which was making a grumbling noise. It wasn't immediately obvious due to the noise the vacuum pump making that was hiding the noise from the fuel pump.

Now, with a new fuel pump etc it goes erm, rather [haironfire]  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>        weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell  !  [/haironfire]

I had replaced all the rubber elbows as well as the boost control solenoid,then we looked at the pump (which handily i had a brand spanking new Lotus one).Changed pump and filter and as you say hair on fire. I had run out of fuel a couple weeks previous due to a bad alternator and all my gauges and idiot lights not working so the pump was running extremely low and had no cooling fuel so this may have not helped   .Expensive couple of months !

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.