free hit
counters
Pedal problem - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hello everyone.

I have a Esprit SE -  2.2 Turbo  - 1992.

Yesterday I pushed my clutch pedal and the pedal stayed on the floor.

I could not change my gear.

I had to push the pedal back up with my toe.

That happened three times after each other, then I could change my gear.

Does anyone know what happened ?

Thanks in advance

Ladooke

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Problem solved and Little Red Riding Hood runs ágain. So, I drove two times 100 kilometers late last night to get the correct adapter. Was fortunate enough that the seller had an emergency numer

Whaaaaat? £48 + VAT for a brand new one from SJ, and that's without looking around for a cheaper alternative. There's no way I'd be salvaging a knackered old one, especially as it's a pain in the

If there's no leak, I suggest the internal seal in the master has failed.

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Sounds like hydraulic failure.  Check fluid level in clutch master, look for leakage at base of clutch master or in the car near the pedals, also check for a slave cylinder leak at the gearbox.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thank you for the quick response.

I also know that this should be a hydraulic problem.

But I meant if anyone is familiar with that phenomenon and what was his solution.

I have no leak.

Ladooke

How does the clutch fluid look?

With my previous car ( VXR8) was known for issues with the clutch pedal sticking down - caused by clutch dust contaminating the fluid.

Watch This vid - first few minutes are theory, then the practice.

Easy job, but I never believed it would be effective. It actually works extremely effectively. 

Worth a try....

• Gold FFM

If there's no leak, I suggest the internal seal in the master has failed.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The pedal does not come back because your clutch master cylinder piston seal has failed. You may not see a leak.

Solution:- Buy a new master cylinder, and fit it. Fill it with new brake fluid, and bleed the system.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!

Today, just 1½ hour ago, I experienced the same problem. Pedal went Down, I could get it up a few times, limping home. Then it is now stuck Down, and no leaks visible. I took a peak under the car, and no leaks. The big clutch activation arm is also not broken or bent as far as I can see, but not sure about that.

Anything I can look for, before I push it inside?

For example, is it possible that the clutch can stay activated? Or will the clutch master (if it is that problem) just seep the fluid past the sealing, giving no pressure to the clutch?

Hmm, a bit spooky, as I can roll the car when in gear... Is that a dead gearbox or a dead clutch or a stuck Down hydraulic clutch pressure, or a broken/bent clutch fork (engageing arm)?

I should mention, that at no time, have I experienced clutch slip, also not when this problem came, 80 kilometers from home. At that time, I managed to get the clutch pedal up Again, and drive home, shifting gears. As I came near home, I had trouble getting the clutch pedal up, and 25 meters from home, it got stuck Down.

If the later, in theory, can I then release the pressure, so the clutch (in engine) releases back to resting position?

Here's a Picture of right now with the pedal stuck Down.

As I see it, it may be disengageing the clutch by the slave or master. So, can I release it by opening the slave bleeding valve?

And, if the mastre is gone, should the clutch then piss out fluid?

And, if the slave is gone, should the fluid only run slowly, be releasing the slave bleeding valve?

Cheers,

Jacques.

clutch 1.JPG

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

Jacques, from the second picture it is clear that your clutch stays disengaged, the slave is in the extended position. So you don't get drive even when in gear.

Have you tried pulling back the pedal and/or pushing back the clutch fork into the slave? That should engage the clutch. If it doesn't, the problem must be inside the bellhousing... :-(

Hope you get it sorted soon, I know how frustrating it is not being abel to drive your Esprit!

Filip 

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Slacken that bleed nipple off - and ease back the fork. As long as the fork will move back you have a hydraulic issue. Mines currently in bits for a similar thing. 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I reckon the release bearing is snagged on the guide tube. If the tube is worn it can give you trouble like this. Get a bar in there and give the bearing a tap!

• Like 1

Okay, so I released the slave bleed valve, and it jetted out with fluid. I took the slave cylinder off, and honestly I cannot see if the clutch fork arm moved or not.

If the release bearing is indeed snagged, should I then be able to move the big fork forth and back, as the slave cylinder is now off, hanging in the air?

Edit: I can move the clutch fork/arm a bit forth and back with two fingers. Not much and with a sound. No resistance for that Little movement.

How do I tap on that release bearing? Is it by inserting something through the clutch fork?

I can put it in say 4'th gear, then gos to the right hand side rear Wheel, and spin that around.

Would it be crazu to lower the car to just over ground (well, a bit) and then with out engageing the fuel pump, turn the ignition key to start and see if the rear Wheels pin around? (to see if the clutch have engaged)?

Edit 2: I just put it in 2'nd gear while lifted on a jack etc, no fuel, and turned the key. The right hand rear Wheel spinns around fast and the left vey Little (the diff). So, can I asume that the clutch is released and functioning?

Edit 3: How do i find out if the clutch fork arm is broken or nearly broken?

Another thing: I can super easy lift up and down the clutch pedal as like in nothing connected.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

All right. So far I've taken the clutch slave off (still connected to hose).

Now, I can put the car in a gear and not push the car.

Yesterday, when the clutch hydraulic system was connected, I could have the car in gear and stil push the car like it was in neutral.

So, I take it that the clutch master cylinder is stuck in a bottom position and need to be renewed.

I will install a new one asap and report back here.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Gold FFM

Where's the slave cylinder piston?

In almost 40 years, I've never known a clutch master stick like that.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

If it's a triumph master - it's fairly common for them to stick in the down position.

• Like 1

Only here once

small update: I am slowly getting the master cylinder off. Yasuo has been kind enough to assist me and handle me a new master cylinder. It's pouring Down outside, so I shall be continueing asap. But looking thoroughly inside the footwell, I can see fluid, so the master cylinder is shot for sure.

More later when the rain stops.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Not looked at mine yet - but can you just unbolt it from the bulkhead and pull it out - leaving the rod connected ??

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

You can, if you can get at the circlip.  I've done it a couple of times but it's hassle.

If it's leaking fluid, surely a seizure wouldn't hold pressure...

• Like 1

If the seal has, for whatever reason, folded on itself or mushroomed then it will get stuck. I bought an aftermarket master where, after using a vacuum bleeder, the seal got sucked between the piston and bore and we needed like 100 PSI to get the piston out - if it had hit anything it'd have done more damage than a dum-dum round. That was the last time I ever used a vacuum bleeder, but getting back on track, it's not impossible. 

Fitting a new master is quite easy no? I think it was just pulling off a clip and two bolts. Jacques has mastered The Lotus Position by now so it'll be a doddle. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Waaahhhhaaaha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

On my SE, there an 45 degree angular extension of the bracket that holds the brake master cylinder, that passes right in front of the clutch master cylinder. This is done to strenghen the Whole area, as it's under pressure. That hinters the easy undoeing of the clutch master cylinder.

It does not help getting into the footwell to unclip the push rod, as that is slim enough to pass the bracketry in the front compartment. It's the clutch master body itself that cannot pass the brake vacuum setup.

To overcome that, I had to use a 11mm ring spanner to loosen the 4 nuts between the brake master cylinder and the brake vacuum "can". The fun part is getting at the lower nut at the same side as the clutch master cylinder, as the bracketry is very tight. So I used a grinder to make the 11mm ring spanner slimmer, and slowly 1/16'th at a time, turned it Loose. Once all four are loosened enough, you can move the brake master vacuum unit a bit to the right, just enough to take out the clutch master cylinder. That is, after you have undone the small clip and clipholder in the footwell. My clutch master cylinder was engaged into the uppermost of the two holes on the clutch pedal. Note that as the clutch won't Work propperly if using the wrong lower attatchment point.

Sure enough, the piston in the old now undone clutch master cylinder is completely stuck at it extreme end position (pressed totally in). Girling 5/8" btw.

Next is the connecting rod itself, which is shorter on the new clutch master cyllinder. So, I hve undone the special circlip on the old one, and are transferring the parts to the new one. The only problem I have at this point is the cirslip on the new one, which is another type, for which I have no snap ring pliers. I'll get a quality one tomorrow hopefully.

More later.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Below: the doa clutch master cylinder.

old clutch master cylinder.JPG

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Well bugger me.  Never seen one seize against that kind of pressure.

@Jacques Now equip your air compressor and take it and the master to your local shooting range. Aim away from face. 

You're gonna make all the bro's with their Desert Eagle's jealous once they see the hole that piston punches in the target sheet.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8