free hit
counters
Pedal problem - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Oh well, the new master does not fit, or rather that the fitting that makes it possible going from what ever thread the original Gorling have, to the braided clutch hose I bought from SW, does not fit on the new master. The new one have M10 and then I need ??? for the braided clutch hose.

SJ's braided hose use a smaller fitting for their hose kit. So I really don't know about British threds etc.

Does anyone happen to know what SW's fitting for their hose is?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Problem solved and Little Red Riding Hood runs ágain. So, I drove two times 100 kilometers late last night to get the correct adapter. Was fortunate enough that the seller had an emergency numer

Whaaaaat? £48 + VAT for a brand new one from SJ, and that's without looking around for a cheaper alternative. There's no way I'd be salvaging a knackered old one, especially as it's a pain in the

If there's no leak, I suggest the internal seal in the master has failed.

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I'm really looking forward to hitting this problem head on myself ?.....

good luck chap 

Only here once

Jacques, it might be worth investing in a thread gauge that will tell you the pitch, or threads per inch for future reference. They're cheap enough, I use them all the time.

Margate Exotics.

This is a standard problem you will come up against. It a simple fix just buy the adapter... If not sure on the threads contact PNM Pete will  stock the part.. Or go to you local hydraulic parts outlet who will also have the part..  You will be moving from imperial to metric that's all... 

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Nice to hear yours is fixed. I'm hoping mine will follow suit very shortly

Only here once

:thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

So, Barry, is your clutch pedal also stuck in the bottom position?

And if so, did you order a new master cylinder? Like one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nash-Metropolitan-1952-1960-5-8-Bore-Center-Valve-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-w-Res-/311914519106?hash=item489f8dda42:g:OegAAOSw44BYNcvw&vxp=mtr

or this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-A95-A105-New-5-8-Bore-Center-Valve-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-w-Reservoir-/282568009647?hash=item41ca5da7af:g:wfkAAOSwiDFYNGZB&vxp=mtr

Plus the appropriate male/male adapter, depending if the new master has a M10 thread and which clutch hose you are using.

Which year is your Esprit?

The point for me, but your car is right handed, so may vary was, that there's reinforcement of the brake master bracket, that crosses over to the clutch master bolte, manking it a bit tight to reach. Anyway, as I mentioned, a grinded Down 10mm ring spanner made it easy enough. ½ hout to take off, ½ hour to bolt on, incl. the footwell, plus one hour bleeding it all. I jsut ahd to spend some hours going forth and back to get the right parts ;) But that is also a part of the fun.

When the old master cylinder collapsed, it also turned the fresh clutch fluid all Black. Nasty stuff that looks exactly like cola. Probably tasted the same ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques

Jacques, can you refurbish your old one? Is the bore scored? Seriously it's worth saving and having on the shelf if all you need is new seals!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Heh, you'd be surprised at how many times refurbishing original parts to have on the side has saved me; actually almost every time I bought some piece of shit aftermarket part that needed to be switched out for the original.

Happened with my slave cylinder, master cylinder seals (I suffered the same problem as Jacques), aftermarket injectors.....

In each instance I'd cleaned up each part, fitted new seals and in the case of the injectors had them cleaned, flow checked and fitted with new o-rings. :D 

• Like 2

I was told that the original Girling 5/8" master cylinder is nla.

only the unmarked sub part.

The piston is stuck, so cannot comment on scoring. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Meanwhile, maybe someone on here have a good idea of how to release it?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Some very light oil and compressed air would be my idea. I am not sure how much pressure the filler cap can withstand though?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

+1 on this.

It can withstand a fair bit. I can't recall what I had to use, but it was a lot. The cap held. I'd just suggest ramping up the pressure slowly so as to not overdo it straight off the bat. 

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Jacques said:

I was told that the original Girling 5/8" master cylinder is nla.

only the unmarked sub part.

The piston is stuck, so cannot comment on scoring. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Meanwhile, maybe someone on here have a good idea of how to release it?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Lob it in the bin and use a new one - problem solved

Only here once

Hahahah oh man, you guys earn waaaaaaay too much money :P

Whaaaaat?

£48 + VAT for a brand new one from SJ, and that's without looking around for a cheaper alternative. There's no way I'd be salvaging a knackered old one, especially as it's a pain in the arse to change, because you might find it doesn't work, then you have to do the job again. And if it does work, it could work for ages, or it might let you down in the middle of nowhere, or at an inopportune moment. To me it's just not a cost-effective method, unless it's NLA (or seriously expensive).

I reconditioned my Mini-van brake master cylinder many years ago, and it worked OK until it didn't: it failed, and I drove the van into my garden fence and knocked it down. Thankfully only my pride was injured, but I've never taken any chances with hydraulics since!

But, each to his own.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

31 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

I reconditioned my Mini-van brake master cylinder many years ago, and it worked OK until it didn't: it failed, and I drove the van into my garden fence and knocked it down. Thankfully only my pride was injured, but I've never taken any chances with hydraulics since!

Forgive me, but this cracked me up.

Point taken. 

;)

The one you show Barry, is not the one I have. Mine is lighter grey and possibly another brand. But never mind as long as it fits correctly and have the correct bore.

Honestly I see what you are pointing out Ian, but I am stil with Vanya on trying to get the original one renovated. For example it's nicer made inside, where it has an Integrated fluid level marker. Anyway, I might have a go at it, and will see if it turns out being usable or not. Just for the fun of it.

The slave is another matter. Rusty old cast iron - whiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzz - bin.

Oh well, it's been sold. I think it's more like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Master-Cylinder-fits-Landrover-Defender-Discovery-Diesel-Warranty-/231353922320?epid=1748781026&hash=item35ddc4b310:g:WX0AAOSwF1dUM0Ms&vxp=mtr

But I cannot see the specs on that one either. Like the correct bore etc.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

2 hours ago, Vanya said:

Forgive me, but this cracked me up.

Point taken. 

I omitted to mention that right behind the fence at the time of the accident was the wooden kennel that my cats used to use for shelter. They were dozing in it at the time, and the wife saw it being knocked down the garden with both cats in it. The cats cleared off immediately it got shunted, and were unhurt. So, I had to repair the fence, and the kennel, too.

Margate Exotics.