free hit
counters
Windscreen Wiper - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Windscreen Wiper

Hi to all,

Car is a 1980 S2 Elite - Problem wiper stopping half way across the screen on the way back to the park position, i.e. moves from park on the left hand side of the screen to the right side, then when it moves back to the left it stops in the middle.

I have 2 spare wiper motors both 16W, one 170 degree arc,one 130 degree arc, both came out of lotus's Q1 What should it be.

I have connected a battery direct to the motor and its still the same, so not an volts/earth issue, Q2 Is it possible to change the wheel box and drive cable with the dash in. ( I have changed the wiper motor on the other cars with the dash in, but not the wheel box or drive cable. I think this is a drive cable issue as the wiper arm locks up solid then makes a grunching noise and frees up, then goes back to park position the then does as exactly the same thing again.

Q3 is it possible to reduce the pressure of the wiper blade on the screen by mucking about with the spring on the wiper arm, this is on the basis of less pressure less effort required from the motor.

Any advice / suggestions greatly received. 

Regards to all, John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

what's the 3 position of your wiper lever? mine is

top position: wiper on, stops anywhere (when I switch lever to middle position

middle position: off

down position: wiper on, stops in park position

speed in top and down position is the same...

Mike from lotusbits told me that the car is built around the wiper motor and is a pain to replace - so I'll not touch it unless it's really necessary ;-) 

(might consider don hasi's solution)

Wiper motor is quite easy to access on right hand drive cars, not sure about left handers though.

It is the wiper spindle that is almost impossible to get to, as it is behind the heater box!

Edited by pbharcourt

Dan,

Top position of the wiper column switch is off, middle position is slow speed, bottom position is fast. If you pull the wiper switch towards you when sitting in the drivers seat it should give an intermittent wipe, all three positions, middle bottom and intermittent wipe should all park the wiper blade when the column switch is moved to the off position. If you have a Lucas 6DA module fitted the intermittent wipe is turned off by pulling the switch towards you again, again it should park the wiper blade.

Parking is controlled by the park switch ( make contact ) on the wiper motor and the intermittent wipe switch on the steering column stalk. the make switch on/in the park switch on the wiper motor feeds voltage back to the wiper switch through the intermittent wipe part of the wiper switch ( change over contact ) back down to the wiper motor middle position feed wire, which drives the wiper motor to its park position, when the park position is reached the make contact breaks and the wiper motor stops.

Best regards

John

Don,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try, the Eclats wiper failed in the middle of the MOT last year, don't want to risk it this time on the Elite.

Best regards

John

• Like 1

Hi to all,

Have today taken out the wiper motor and the flexible drive to the wheel box was seized solid, after a bit of tugging and pushing managed to free it and pull it out, the end at the wheel box has worn flat and there are almost no discernible groves for the wheel box to pick up. Have changed it for a spare that was good. Checked that the wheel box was free and not binding before putting the replacement back in.

Interestingly the PO has fitted a Lucas 29W motor which appears to come from a Scimitar. (Thanks Google ). it was mounted upside down which made it more interesting, but manageable.

On reconnecting everything, the wipers no longer stop on the return to park sweep as they did and there is no crunching noise now, but they are so slow and if the screen get's any where near dry they stop. As this is a 29W motor almost twice the rating of the correct 16W it should manage a single blade with no problem, but doesn't, which suggests the motor is not running at 29W, will follow up tomorrow with my local auto electrician. New bushes or a rewind of the coils, the motor was made in 84 so coming up to 33 years old, something must wear out.

Have picked up a bottle of Rain X today and the Silicon wiper will be here Saturday, will try the Rain X tomorrow as well. Thanks Don.

Any thoughts or suggestions always welcome.

John

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Nut said:

they are so slow and if the screen get's any where near dry they stop.

same here, they work well in rain, but not on the dry screen (if you accidentally switch them on)

Doesn't bother me too much at the moment. 

Thanks for all the helpful information :-) 

• 3 months later...

Hi to all, update on current wiper issues,

Have tried the RainX and silicon wiper, no change, took the wiper motor to a rewind company and had the motor overhauled, back in the car and no change. They had the motor for 8 weeks while waiting for parts, turned out they changed the brushes and cleaned the commutator, £140.00 for a job I could do my self in about an hour, bit pissed off by them.

Next step was to buy a new drive cable from SJ's which I fitted week before last, no different. Have now taken the really good working wiper motor out of my Elite S1 and put it in the S2, have proved its a torque issue, there is just a lack of power in the motor, however with the S1 motor in place the drive cable drives the blade all over the place and you can hear it rasping over the wheel box, conclusion is the wheel box is worn out and is snagging on the new drive cable, have now bought a new wheel box from SJ's and have started stripping out the dash.

Have taken the overhauled wiper motor to a proper rewind company and they tested the motor in front of me and are going to rewind the coils and put on a few extra turns for a bit more power, as its faulty.

Cars ready for its mot other than the wipers not working, don't you just love these cars. 

Q. Does the dash have to come out totally.

Q. Any one changed the wheel box.

Q. If I pull the dash forward by 3" does it give enough room to get to the wheel box.

Q. Any one got a photo of the wheel box in position, as I can't see it with the central panel out, can only see the heater.

Any comments or advice greatly received.

Regards to all John

John - name and shame them so other members don't use them.

£140 for a "rebuild" consisting of brushes and cleaning a comm is misrepresentation.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:52, The Nut said:

took the wiper motor to a rewind company and had the motor overhauled, back in the car and no change. They had the motor for 8 weeks while waiting for parts, turned out they changed the brushes and cleaned the commutator, £140.00 for a job I could do my self in about an hour, bit pissed off by them.

hi to all.

Got the central switch panel out this morning, not much help at seeing any thing but have now spotted the next issue the internal flap in the heater is hanging down at a odd angle. It will need to be looked at when the dash is out.

John

20171024_111910.jpg

The wheel box is behind the whole heater box system.

I found that I could just about squeeze it out by pushing it in to the gap under the body with a screw driver and then pulling it out with the drive tube.

The motor, bracket and drive wire need to be out of the way first.

Putting it back was much the same with a bit of pushing and pulling on the drive tube to get it into position and then lever it back into the hole with the srewdriver.

The only other way was dash and heaterbox out!

The dash is coming out now as I have got to fix the broken flap in the heater box, its hanging down at a very odd angle and does not move when the controls are used.

John

20171027_105802.thumb.jpg.26e2f4efe32413c890cb338657ef77c9.jpg20171027_113102.thumb.jpg.ebf559d7b4dafce1bfb80300a0838e05.jpgHi to all,

Dash is now out, still can't see the wiper wheel box, I assume its below the metal plate screwed to the top of the dash, so three screws to cut the top of and I hope that will be it.

Another vote for Rain X here.

Brilliant stuff. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Michael,

That was the fist thing I tried, with a silicon wiper blade, it did a full sweep in one direction ( good name for a pop group ) and half a sweep back then locked up.

Any way, have just finished getting the plate of and behind it are the two retaining bolts for the wiper wheel box, have loosened them off and there is now play on the spindle and tube that fits between the wiper motor and the wheel box, hope too get it out in the morning with a bit of help from my son. will update tomorrow.

20171028_214556.jpg

New wheel box in, new drive cable in, refurbished motor in and now have working wipers. conclusion is that its not possible to change the wheel box with the dash in. If a PO has changed it before and not used the two fixing bolts located behind the heater box, it is possible. Now just got to put it all back together again. Need to find a replacement central panel the PO cut it in half to fit a radio.

Clive,

They do indeed have a picture of a panel on the website, I have been talking to them and the only one they have in stock is as bad as mine.

The photo of the panel in bits is mine and the PO has cut it in half to get in the radio with the bottom piece just resting on the side of the central console, second photo is the LB's stock, its no better than mine.

So if any one has a S2 Elite centre panel to sell please get in touch.

No choice with doing the wiper it packed up in the middle of the mot last time, with a friendly get that fixed comment from the tester. 

Regards

John

20171027_112034.jpg

Elite Console.jpg

Can't imagine there are many S2 panels about. It is possible to fit a modern stereo without cutting it in half. Only a small amount of metal around edge, but it works. Can you cut some metal and braise it to top half? I wouldn't mind experimenting with some carbon fibre as a replacement. I personally think the black is a bit dull. I have the same as you.

Don, what does your clock look like?

it should be easy to make a replacement surely. just powder coated metal in a satin finish?. #charliecrocker made his own and laminated it in wood to match the original. I think the trick is that there are two bends in the panel. 

I have also made a new one for mine out of circular polished stainless steel although I haven't put the bend in it yet.

I'm thinking to braise a panel on to the bottom edge and glue on a veneer panel to the face, I did this on my éclat and it still looks ok.

Have been going through the electrics while the dash is out and found one of the heater motors is not working so have taken it out stripped cleaned and now its running, I've got to put in back in after I repair the ring that holds the motor in, screws that have not been touched for 30+ years are a pain and sheered, hence broke the ring getting the motor out.

Still got to look at the heater flap, but as far as I can tell the operating arm has parted company with the flap, not sure how to remove the top of the heater box to get the flap out. If any one knows please let me know.

Regards to all

John