free hit
counters
Ferry/Train to Europe - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark030358

Ferry/Train to Europe

Hi,

This maybe a stupid question, but presumably there must be some Exige drivers who have taken their V6's to Europe via ferry/train. So I have some stupid questions to ask (see below) re crossing between UK and France/Holland as I'm planning an Alp's trip for next year. So..

a) Any operator to avoid like the plague?

b) Any issues with ground clearance getting on and off Ferries/Trains?

c) How is the car secured?

d) Hate to mention this point, any ports to avoid because of migrant issues?

e) Any issues with the Chunnel? 

Any suggestions welcome....

My route will probably be a full loop, so UK-France-Alps-Black Forest-Rotterdam Ferry

thanks in advance

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Take the Euro Tunnel. 

Tell them your car is too wide for the double deck so you book on the single deck. MUCH more room getting on, no ramp and once you're inside there is so much more room either side so no worries about your wheels. Just make sure you head for the "high vehicle" bit when getting on. 

2 hour grace period either side so you can pretty much just turn up and get on the next one. 

By far the best way to get to France in my experience. We do this every time now. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2

I had no problems with getting mine on the Euro Tunnel either. Was in one of the lorry cars. 

I've taken Esprits and Evoras on the Chunnel, no probs at all :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

no problem for the Chunnel, BUT if you plan to put your car on a french train (let's say to go to the Riviera), you'll probably be said that it's too low to get on the train :blush: ... and anyway, you can't travel with the car (I mean, in the same train), so you can't be sure when your precious will arrive. Anyway, it would be a sin not to enjoy secondary roads here :popo: !

tunnel for me every time........easy

and plenty of room and you don't need to leave your car either.......

plenty wide enough for the Evora.......

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Tunnel every time. Many, many times. Even with the Exige lowered. You don't need to book high/wide - when queuing to board they just let you on the lower floor.

Only car we have trouble with on the regular carriages is the RS6 as it's a bit wide but still makes it. 

Ignore all the signs when you arrive and just go for the train - they'll turn you back if they really want to which is no hardship. Usually they just let you go straight on as there's always space. The french side are a little stricter. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Mines booked on the Dover-Dunkirk ferry in September as the other half won't even try the tunnel. I'm not expecting any issues as I've taken my vxr220 on the ferry (before it had Nitrons)

9 minutes ago, 2GOOD said:

the other half won't even try the tunnel

I wouldn't go in the tunnel for a long time, didn't trust it but eventually it proved it won't collapse and I'm a convert now :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

I wouldn't go in the tunnel for a long time, didn't trust it but eventually it proved it won't collapse and I'm a convert now :)

I remember someone telling me why they refused to use the tunnel.........

they basically described it as a tube going through water........

I tried to explain that it was a tunnel going through rock but it was useless......theyd got it fixed in their heads it was in water and that it could spring a leak and flood at any moment

• Like 2

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

tbh we're no youngsters (unfortunately) & I gave up years ago trying to change her mind. Despite preferring P&O we tend to use DFDS & sail into Dunkirk which is normally quite quick to get out of (& despite all the fencing they've now installed, no visible migrant issues). 

We used them a few weeks ago & that's when we decided to use the Lotus on our next trip.

I've used both and never encountered any issues.

One thing they don't like on the ferries is you making the most of the slippery deck surface to take the corners "less than straight"

• Like 1

What a great forum this is!!

Just want to say thanks to all the guys that responded. Tunnel out Rotterdam/Hull ferry on the way back (home via Germany/Holland).

thanks

Mark

• Like 2

Useful info! I'll be driving from the Alps to the UK via the Eurotunnel, then back across on the Portsmouth-St malo ferry after a couple of trackdays, a wedding and the goodwood revival. I'm hoping the splitter isn't a problem on the ferry, if it is I'll let everyone know here.

good man :)

Just in the case some people come here looking for the same answers as you were, the clearence is ok for the ferry also, but on some of the lines notify at the arrival that you might need some help, or even go on the truck deck. The longer front overhang made my standard v6 more difficult to get in the ferry that my lowered Exige s2 .. Ferry like Newhaven have now a new platform, much easier then before also to get in the boat.

Bit of a thread revival....

So booked the Euro-tunnel out, just not decided on the return yet. So, can anyone confirm the Zeebrugge/Hull ferry is OK for clearance getting on/off?

cheers

30 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Bit of a thread revival....

So booked the Euro-tunnel out, just not decided on the return yet. So, can anyone confirm the Zeebrugge/Hull ferry is OK for clearance getting on/off?

cheers

Yes its fine.

The ferry from Rotterdam is a much nicer ferry though and it sets off later and gets in earlier so I always try to book that one. it normally makes not much difference to travel to there from within Europe either :)

The P&O website doesn't mention clearance that I can see. Week before last did a trip to the Netherlands (Zandvoort) with DFDS Seaways Dover-Dunkirk-Dover - the online booking has an option "Car low clear" which I have used successfully a couple of times. The downside is it looks like a long haul home for you....!

Eurotunnel for us year and after. They usually see 12 Lotus's and we go off separately to the single decker, but not always