free hit
counters
Clutch problem/noise - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch problem/noise

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a clutch issue.

I have a 1986 Esprit turbo.  Not been used a lot recently as I am putting it back together after a re-spray.

I took it out yesterday and noticed a worrying vibration/noise from the clutch.  When I press clutch pedal and then raise the pedal slightly it causes massive vibrations and grating type noise.  It does this whether it is in gear or not.  Once moving it all feels fine. 

Any ideas.  release mechanism possible? 

Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't know to be honest.  I had an engine out service 3 years ago and the clutch was inspected and passed as OK to leave in place. The friction material was definately deemed to have loads of life left. 

Only done about 500 miles since..

• Gold FFM

Sounds like gearbox off in any case.  The symptoms sound suspiciously like the one I worked on recently in Sweden, but that would be an amazing coincidence and very bad news, as it resulted in crankshaft removal.  Hopefully just a failure in one of the clutch components.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

As we were discussing at the weekend Sparky. I tend to concur as I had exactly the same with my S3 many moons ago.

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

sparky, rocket63,

What exactly was the issue you had.  Was it clutch or gearbox.  My noise/viration happens with or without gear selected.  So i presume it's not gearbox.
I know i need to get gearbox off to inspect.  Just suprised about possible crankshaft off?

• Gold FFM

The input shaft is spring-loaded, and held with a circlip.  There is a nylon washer between shaft and crank to prevent contact.  In the Swedish one's case, the circlip had failed, there was no evidence of a washer (or bearing!), and the input shaft had drilled deep into the rear of the crankshaft.  I believe Paul got to his much earlier, therefore negating the need for crankshaft work.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Hi Peter, Not much to add to what Sparky has referenced. I caught mine quite early due to the fear of an unexpected but very evident noise. As said, the input shaft is sprung loaded so no engagement was needed. In between is a "Nylatron" Washer that sits between the flywheel face/needle roller bearing and the tip/end of the input shaft. This was quickly worn away, but I was lucky that when stripped down, there was only a fraction of metal to metal contact. Mine happened as I started the car, rather than at speed whilst travelling, which no doubt reduced the potential for any catastrophic damage.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hej Peter,it´s me with the car in Sweden, and i´m so close to 100% sure as possible that your problem is same as mine,what you describes is exactly the same as i felt before the investigation,so a good advise is what Gary said,DONT use the car before 

repair,it can only be worse!!....

Probably your axel is´t damage now,but it will be,and if you continues driving the axel will start eating your crankshaft!!,Bon appetite.

• 9 months later...

Update...

Finally got round to getting this sorted.   It was a worn out spigot bearing.  Causing the input shaft to be loose and float around.
Luckily I got it sorted in time.  Thanks to advice on here I didn't't drive it and totally destroy it.

Needs a new input shaft fitting.  Not cheap, but probably could have been worse

• Like 2

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum but on my second ’86 Turbo Esprit. The engine was just overhauled and new clutch package fitted, but now suspecting a similar problem to the one on this topic

Gearbox is coming out today and I’d like it to be back by tomorrow the car is going to a classic car show on the weekend...

My question; are the input shaft components from a Citroen and if so which models? That could be the only way to source the parts today

Thanks, Harri Asunta, Helsinki Finland

www.harriasunta.com

@dsvitesse1 would be able to help.

Welcome :welcome:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.