free hit
counters
Running into the Rev Limiter - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Running into the Rev Limiter

Good Morning,

I always wondered if it "hurts" the engine at all to run into the rev limiter or to even stay at the limiter for a couple of seconds (on track). On some tracks (e.g. Spa or Bilster Berg) I found it to be faster to stay at the limiter for a short period of time than to short shift or briefly up shift.

I do not think this should cause any damage or excessive wear to the engine as the limiter is there to protect the engine ... but as I am not a engineer and I had a conversation recently with a Lotus Sales Guy in Germany that was insisting that this is a big "no go" and might even cause Lotus to decline waranty if it is done frequently?!? ... I am a little confused... I still firmly believe I am right but I wanted to get some other opinion on that...

Thanks for your help ;-)

Cheers

Norbert

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope... a AIM one ! The "GARW" dash has still to be released ...

Pretty pointless having a limiter if it doesn't come in before you might cause damage.  I certainly wouldn't hold the car on the limiter, but bouncing off it occasionally can't be bad. In my exper

The answer depends quite a bit on how the cut is implemented - ignition cut or fuel cut or both at the same time or both sequentially. If it does stop injecting mixture at some point but is also coole

Posted Images

Pretty pointless having a limiter if it doesn't come in before you might cause damage. :X

I certainly wouldn't hold the car on the limiter, but bouncing off it occasionally can't be bad. In my experience (and speaking very generally) engines have usually given their best before this point so it's not something I intentionally do.

• Like 1

The answer depends quite a bit on how the cut is implemented - ignition cut or fuel cut or both at the same time or both sequentially. If it does stop injecting mixture at some point but is also cooled appropriately then I can't see anything too bad happening from the cut.

• Like 1

and, just like for the PIWIS for P cars, the time when max RPM is hit, is recorded and can be used to object warranty ... and if it goes like P cars, buyers can be a little obsessed with that :angry: !

• Like 1
Personal opinion: a limiter as the word says - it limits you - so it comes in early ... and you should get away so as not to cause you damage to the engine.

As previously mentioned by someone, it is true that at that point you are in the threshold where you no longer receive the power you need but, in fact, you are in the process of falling ... and then detaching ...
  • Like 1
On 05/07/2017 at 17:59, NW76 said:

--> at 2:00 min you can see what I mean ... at the limiter for 1.5 sec ... no chance to shift but still not at the breaking point ...

Shift early, you have enough torque to do so.

You will find laps are quicker!!

• Like 1

FWIW:  I can't comment on the V6 with any authority, but i do know that with the Toyota 2ZZ motor (S2 Elise/Exige/211) bouncing off the rev-limiter is not recommended.  While the rev-limiter is designed to prevent a serious/catastrophic over-rev, the 2ZZ rockers have been known to fail/break with the cause attributed to excessive rev-limiter engagement.  I can't say the same applies to the V6 Toyota rockers, but I try not to bounce off the limiter on a regular basis. ;)

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

On 05/07/2017 at 17:59, NW76 said:

--> at 2:00 min you can see what I mean ... at the limiter for 1.5 sec ... no chance to shift but still not at the breaking point ...

Wish I hadn't seen that video need an AIM dash now ?

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

17 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Wish I hadn't seen that video need an AIM dash now ?

@alias23 its really worth the money and makes trackday life so much easier. No more setup work. Its all in the car, recognizes the track automatically and starts the timer / video recording as you cross the line ... 

I always had issues or forgot to connect smthg with my Harrys Laptimer setup before ...

And the best is you get a wealth of data that you can analyze with a professional tool ...

Wouldnt want to miss it anymore and already have forgotten how much money I sunk into that ...

38 minutes ago, Jack said:

FWIW:  I can't comment on the V6 with any authority, but i do know that with the Toyota 2ZZ motor (S2 Elise/Exige/211) bouncing off the rev-limiter is not recommended.  While the rev-limiter is designed to prevent a serious/catastrophic over-rev, the 2ZZ rockers have been known to fail/break with the cause attributed to excessive rev-limiter engagement.  I can't say the same applies to the V6 Toyota rockers, but I try not to bounce off the limiter on a regular basis. ;)

Thanks @Jack ... I think I will try to short shift this particular one next time and check what it does to laptime. 

Its a much bigger issue in Spa ... and its most of the times 4th gear ... 5th is so long ....

3 hours ago, NW76 said:

@alias23 its really worth the money and makes trackday life so much easier. No more setup work. Its all in the car, recognizes the track automatically and starts the timer / video recording as you cross the line ... 

I always had issues or forgot to connect smthg with my Harrys Laptimer setup before ...

And the best is you get a wealth of data that you can analyze with a professional tool ...

Wouldnt want to miss it anymore and already have forgotten how much money I sunk into that ...

AiM MXS FTW ..... it's great, love mine too....... screen shot from one of my videos. :) 

Smarty template-V6.png

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, French Frie said:

Nope... a AIM one :rolleyes:! The "GARW" dash has still to be released ...

I'm beginning to believe the "GARW" dash will never be released as there is always just one more additional function that must be added before release, then, oh wait, I've changed and added this....

I think the "GARW" dash is bloody brilliant and just wish it would be released now.  I'd take the current version in no time for my VX220.  All the other stuff can be added either as an "upgrade" or future model versions.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

11 hours ago, NANO said:

Norbert, I do not remember anymore ... where did you get it and who made you fit and adjust AIM MXs ?

Did mine before the season and worked with KomoTec to customize it. Amongst others have a break and a gearbox oil temp sensor. Both very helpful imho. 

Its more than the hardware, a proper installation and configuration will take some time if you DIY it ...

• Like 1