free hit
counters
BBS Comps picture - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

BBS Comps picture

• Gold FFM

Hey all, 

been having a chat with jo @Final Edition about purchasing his spare BBS wheels so I can put some modern tyres on and keep the Goodyears for special occasions on the original wheels. Deal has been done and he is going to deliver them next week, big love sir ?

Now I am fairly sure I saw a pic on here with some BBS painted like Comps, they were black and silver if memory serves. Now I am thinking getting the new wheels done like that but gold and silver. So, good idea, does anyone have that pic and lastly any recommendations who could do it? 

Thanks in advance 

Dan 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dan I did these some years ago, they were gold when I started. You need to buff the spokes down to create the look.  Like this but gold should look great. Dave   I did these g

Steve fair point I just want to keep the tyres on the original,  thought I could do something a bit different with the new ones. Obviously want Comps but way too much for me. 

Dan We have looked into this many many times before and it's a non starter. Search previous threads if you like. Danny The front tyres on your Esprit are only a couple of years old. I h

Posted Images

Hi Dan .I know Dave posted a picture up of a white turbo .With the. Wheels mentioned ?...Not sure if the spokes are polished  .i will have a look for it ...Mike

finely found what I am looking for....Page 2 ref wheels ...Mike

IMG_1968.JPG.b86cf6ef3d995f003de30d7db4daa620.JPGIMG_1969.JPG.a9f091f3c5326ea1875cecf18aad89fb.JPG

Dan

I did these some years ago, they were gold when I started. You need to buff the spokes down to create the look. 

Like this but gold should look great.

Dave :) 

IMG_1964.JPG.f22aee7e8f8920f1d21684f2234cfe7c.JPGIMG_1965.JPG.6415d6f442fdea47d44a8fb46843e50c.JPGIMG_1966.JPG.cbd13b2c8a9f5413c03f045659e5071b.JPGIMG_1967.JPG.f3159fa716040fb3628135532bd67ffb.JPG

I did these gold on my old S2 which looked horrendous when I bought the car.

Just started doing my dry sump comps to Essex spec today.

Very rewarding when done but takes lots of elbow grease!

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

Dave that's the plan, did you do it or get someone else to do it. I know it is not Comps but loving the compromise (ahem) 

No did them with hand tools using wet/dry coming down in grades then bugging wheels in my drill followed by lots of polish.

I had them vapourmatted first to remove all dirt which is sand/air/water mix.

• Gold FFM

Mate I have no time or the patience to do any of this, could a wheel refurb company do this? 

And I need a burglar protected sticker, @Loose Cannon we discussed that bit a while ago 

Yes no problem Dan, if I had more time I would do them for you. I struggle for spare time these days hence only just starting my comps. 

It does not take that long once you get going.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

i know what you mean I have just looked at my lawn ?Oh well back out the door at 5.30 tomorrow morning. I thought getting older it got easier ?. So that's my plan does anyone have any suggestions of a company who can do this I want to get full detail and the wheels done for the festival. Then just need the Sparkster to sort the oil leak (hint) and I am sorted 

• Like 1

Most refurb companies can do it, I did get a quote for my comps which was not that bad I seem to remember which are lots more work. I will see if I can find the old email as they had a courier service as well.

I only seem to get a few hours a week spare with work/home commitments these days, shift work used to be great for car work!

My turbo ended up with Lex Templar down under.

Dan for what it's worth I'd say keep the centres Gold on your car - the BBS wheels on yours look great. If you can track down a set of Gold centred Compomotives then fair enough they'd look better but if not it looks right as it is. Only an opinion and it's your car after all......B-)

• Like 1

Hi Dave .Dan ...I have polished a  few sets of wheels myself ...As  Dave said its ok when you start to see results .Worst part for me was stripping off old  primer paint .I like the look of Daves  wheels .Good luck ...Mike

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Steve fair point I just want to keep the tyres on the original,  thought I could do something a bit different with the new ones. Obviously want Comps but way too much for me. 

• Like 2

Can't hurt with spare wheels Dan, when I started removing metal from mine I had no spares so was worried they would be ruined as no way back. A refurb company would probably diamond cut them rather than do all the hand prep. 

New wheel nuts make a big difference as well.

• Gold FFM

Dave I am going to give it a try, when I say I am, I mean I am going to give a few of them companies a call and see if they can do it. If they don't look great I will lick my wounds and have them just done in gold. Looking forward to how it will drive on new tyres 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dan E said:

Dave I am going to give it a try, when I say I am, I mean I am going to give a few of them companies a call and see if they can do it. If they don't look great I will lick my wounds and have them just done in gold. Looking forward to how it will drive on new tyres 

When you put the new tyres on whichever set of wheels I guarantee you won't want to put the Goodyears back on. I've still got the set that were on mine but the ride of the Pirellis is so much better......together with the knowledge that a tyre isn't likely to let go, like it could do with Goodyears that are far from new. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Steve I am pretending that won't happen but I absolutely guarantee that is exactly what will happen?. But nice to know I got a set of Goodyears and wheels just in case. Btw does anyone know the gold colour code? 

Having seen a post on this forum some time ago regarding tires and remember been very surprised at how low the minimum order was ! 

Very surprised a forum group buy to reproduce the good years has not been done. Unless I am missing something ?

A

20 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Having seen a post on this forum some time ago regarding tires and remember been very surprised at how low the minimum order was ! 

Very surprised a forum group buy to reproduce the good years has not been done. Unless I am missing something ?

Dan

We have looked into this many many times before and it's a non starter. Search previous threads if you like.

Danny

The front tyres on your Esprit are only a couple of years old. I had them fitted just before I sold the car. The rears are old though...

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Barrie yes mate I remember you telling me that and I have the invoice. Jo done me a really good deal on the other set and fancy seeing what they will look like configured how Dave done his but in gold. Probably be a disaster but hey ho ?. I really want to preserve the rear Goodyears as we all know you can't get them anymore and if I swapped just the tyres then I know I would never put them back on but this way I think I might every now and then. 

Also I can then use the tyre lettering Jonny kindly sorted for us. 

On 08/07/2017 at 21:12, Dan E said:

And I need a burglar protected sticker, @Loose Cannon we discussed that bit a while ago 

Hi Dan, they are done, just been abit busy with domestic stuff. Fiver a pair. Need to set up a paypal link or an ebay ad or something like that but a bit clueless.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream