free hit
counters
Elite s1 heater relay - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Elite s1 heater relay

Hi,

Does anyone know if the heater motors have a relay  and if so where Lotus wold have placed it?   I don;t have much faith in the wring diagrams as the only wires colours and switch configuration which aligns to my car is for an air conditioned model rather than the non aircon model

Bottom line is that one of my heater motors burned out after I'd replaced my clutch cable back in March ,  blowing the fuse , so I went through the painful process of replacing  both motors with refurbished items. These work which work fine with direct current but not off the switch suggesting my old motor may have burned out a relay or a switch.  Switch works fine so must be another component.

Wiring diagram suggests a relay exists , but can only see indicator relay and hazard relay on the pedal box.  Must be some others I can't see such as headlamp and heater rear window...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by moriniman1
typo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can be sure there are no relays for the heater motors on my S1. I have just been there, my dash is in the process of being put back together, and checked. Clearly visible are the bright yellow wires and a connector near the fan.

Are you sure the switch works fine under load?

headlights only have a relay for the vacuum solenoid valve. The actual headlights run direct from the panel switch and the headlight dipper switch. You are right, not many relays around. Rear window demister has one. And aircon version has a few, but not relevant to you.

Actually, my car did have a relay for the vacuum solenoid, but not on circuit diagram, Probably the PO did that?

11 hours ago, Clive59 said:

I can be sure there are no relays for the heater motors on my S1. I have just been there, my dash is in the process of being put back together, and checked. Clearly visible are the bright yellow wires and a connector near the fan.

Are you sure the switch works fine under load?

Didnlt think of that to be honest , assumed as there was no evidence of melting I just tested with a Multimeter . There's 5 connections on the back but only 3 wires , black ground , then yellow/slate for one speed and yellow only for second speed.  Will check.  Thanks.

You should have 4 wires, not three. There is a +12V feed(orange wire) from a relay which is driven from the ignition, (I didn't realise that was there!), so you may just be missing that connection?

On 10/07/2017 at 22:53, Clive59 said:

You should have 4 wires, not three. There is a +12V feed(orange wire) from a relay which is driven from the ignition, (I didn't realise that was there!), so you may just be missing that connection?

Hi Clive , yep found the 4th wire - slate grey rather than orange,  the only wire left unnacounted for as everything else working fine.  No voltage though so will have to remove dash again and trace it through to the failure point.

Strangely , the wire colours and plug configuration ( connectons 1-5) concur with a  S1 "Federal With Aircon"  diagram rather than the S1  RHD non aircon version I have in my manual.

How's your dashboard work progressing? 

the third fuse, 25A drives the fans, and the ignition drives the relay. so a couple of things to check.

15 hours ago, moriniman1 said:

How's your dashboard work progressing? 

I have my speedo/instruments back in today. The centre tomorrow I hope. So getting close!

Finally , the fans work.  The culprit was a loose connector on the back of the ignition switch!  Not that obvious when adopting the lotus position , but easy when the dash is out.

Thanks for all your help,  Car been out of use for a year so next steps are to change fluids , hook up electronic speedo and get MOT.

Who knows ,  I might even get to the Lotus Festival in September!