free hit
counters
Gear Select incorrect - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Gear Select incorrect

Hi Everyone

Some of you by now will know that I had a mishap in my Lotus S4S recently. I hydroplaned and hit a lamp post on the rear bumper. Good news Insurance adjuster said it can be repaired so no write off.

Any way now I noticed that my gear change is not somewhat correct. I have trouble getting into 1st gear and as for reverse I can shift over and down without having to lift the coller and it goes into reverse.

PS car was in 2nd gear when I crashed.

Now it could be when I hit the bumper this could have jolted my translator. I am not sure what I should be looking for. Do I need to take things apart to check or do I make adjustments.

Where do I start to look to fix this.

Any suggestions as to how greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks

Ameer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's not entirely unlikely something at the translator end got shifted. I'd recommend you get a helper to sit in the car while you try and tinker at the translator end. First however, check that nothing is loose at both ends.

Adjustments can be made just lying under the car quite easily, but if you want to do it by the book the boot floor might have to come out (for pre-93 with the translator on the left of the gearbox one ideally had to view the assembly from above to check the angle it made with the gearbox and cables etc, dunno what the instructions are for the later cars with the translator on the right, but likely similar).

With that said, any adjustments you make will generally be quite small. For instance, adjusting the rotation of the translator (the threads that link up with the gearshift cables) - only requires quite minor adjustments to achieve a noticeable difference in feel up front.

As for being able to shift into reverse without lifting the lockout mechanism, remove the center tunnel trim at the master unit end, and then the bellows/gaiter over the stick (if your car has it) and peek down into the aperture to check if anything looks out of place or loose. IIRC the lockout is basically a big piece of metal that ensures you can't engage without lifting the collar (my memory fails me, it was 4 years ago I changed the master unit bushes etc). The good news is that even if something in there worked its way loose it's not such a chore to get at it. Some interior needs to be removed but it's an afternoons work and there's a good guide here on TLF. 

Also good to hear that your shunt didn't see the car written off. Fingers crossed nothing got bent!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Assuming you could shift all your gears prior to the shunt, I'd start by removing the boot floor, and set it up from first principles.

There's a section in the Lotus service notes about the gearchange master, and setting up the translator, Section FG. The only thing I'd add is that with my gearstick tilted slightly rearwards, the translator body tilt slightly forwards at the bottom.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I would start by checking the frame between gearbox and bumper (that supports the exhaust) isn't deformed. The rear translator is connected to this frame, so if it's deformed due to the crash, adjustments will be off.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The pinch bolt on the translator may have slipped.  It'll need to be re-tightened with everything in neutral, and possibly re-adjusted.  I've seen it slip and mess up the shift pattern.

The shift pattern can also change a bit if the cables are shifted, as this changes their free length and range of motion.  This will happen even when someone wants to tidy up the engine bay, or firm up the shift action, and zip-ties all the cables down.  In this case the shifting will have to be adjusted again.

It's possible that you bent the exhaust hanger bracket that holds the translator, which would also shift the shift pattern over if the translator moved relative to the cross shaft.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Hi

All of you are on the mark. Now that I have taken out the boot floor as it is cracked, the frame that holds the exhaust is bent on the side where the car was hit. 

I removed the exhaust to have a better view to the frame, it looks square looking down from the top except for the left side exhaust mounting point.

Therefore if that the case then this frame has to be straightened first and check for square before any adjustments are done. BTW both the mounting rubber bracket for the muffler mount are broken  ( metal part off the rubber )

Pictures of the bent muffler bracket corner.

I will let you guys know when the frame is repaired or replaced.

Thanks

Ameer

DSC01869.JPG

DSC01868.JPG

Ouch. There has been a second hand exhaust mounting frame in very nice condition on eBay (I think it was eBay germany) for ages. Perhaps it's still there? Just type "Lotus Esprit" on eBay.de and search among parts, it was from a red 1988 turbo that had been broken. Perhaps that's a candidate

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Hey Travis

It is the one in the second picture that fits the S4S. The part number matches the item I need. I have placed the order for that and hope it will be in good shape when I get it. This will eliminate any distortion from the old one which will affect the translator adjustment.

Thanks as always

Ameer