free hit
counters
Exterior A pillar - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello

i m searching for the 2 a pillar exterior panel for my Evora as they are broken, where I can get them as it s about 6month that they are on back order at lotus?

regards

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You could try vinyl wrapping the existing ones.

Or go with some aftermarket carbon fibre ones. HKFEVER over on LT makes them, and I believe there's some on Elise-Shop as well. 

I just got one (RHS) from deroure so it is possible. My existing one has a crack in it so my plan is to replace the cracked one with the new one then fix the crack and wrap the old one. If I like how it looks I'll do the other side too and the sail panel (which is also cracked!)

You can also try to elise shop for a cf part , the original black plastic part is subject to break in the top corner.

image.png

On 10/08/2017 at 11:02, Benmac said:

I just got one (RHS) from deroure so it is possible. My existing one has a crack in it so my plan is to replace the cracked one with the new one then fix the crack and wrap the old one. If I like how it looks I'll do the other side too and the sail panel (which is also cracked!)

I've just noticed a small crack has appeared at the top of my driver's side one. How easy are they to replace...assuming you've done yours by now of course?

Pretty easy, I can't remember exactly but a couple of the bolts are a little tricky to get to in terms of peeling back the rubber seal around the door but I think I managed it start to finish in about 10 minutes. The service manual shows where all the bolts are. Most are visible just as is. The only tricky element is getting the new one on and aligned without unnecessarily stressing it as you need to slightly bend it to get it in.

Thanks for that Benmac, that's reassuring to hear. Is the replacement part from Lotus already gloss black or does it require spraying? Also, on the DeRoure site it says 2 one metre lengths of adhesive tape are required, is that 2 lengths per side or 1 for each side?

Thanks in advance.

What I can say is I'm glad not to be in the Gulf states...what the hell is the part (27a) made from for out there?

£614-58!!!!!

No problem, yes it comes in the black shiny plastic as it is. It has a sticky cover that you can leave on until it's in place then peel off to avoid marking it. I think it's 2m of the tape stuff per side to give you enough slack. It's nothing special that you can't get elsewhere and I beefed mine up with some foam double sided tape.

Thanks for that Ben, much appreciated. All sounds pretty straightforward then, so long as I take care not to crack the new one whilst fitting.

Thinking about it I reckon I must have cracked it whilst getting out of the car in my garage. Because I'm unable to open the door fully I find myself using that area of the A pillar as support. Like you I think I will also look at ways of beefing up the replacement part prior to fitting, when I get round to it.

Random question. My a-pillar trims are currently wrapped in CF, and the lacquer is starting to peel so I want to refresh them.

My car isn't garaged at the moment, and the weather is - how shall we say...."changeable" ;) Are there any chances of leaks while they are removed? They don't appear to be weather sealed (as in, it appears water can get behind them) so I don't think it's a problem, but just wanted to check?

@Phil S1 Got my new A pillar trim part for the usual same crack as you had. Just Lotus didn't had the double sided tape in stock. Could you please tell what kind I'm exactly looking for? 8,10,12 mm wide? Thickness if it's foamed? Or any link?

Thanks 😀

@rallyesax I used 12mm wide tape, the same width as Lotus supplied. It is a foam tape about 1-2mm thick from memory, any good motor factor should have it. Something like this on eBay:-

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F391217705329

I will be revisiting mine sometime soon as I have found that the tape has come unstuck from the glass near the top of the windscreen so make sure everything is properly degreased beforehand. If you are doing it now I would also make sure everything is good and warm using a hot air gun or the like. I think the main reason for it coming unstuck though is linked to the tang on the top of the A pillar trim; it slots under the roof panel and imparts a slight bending load on the trim in the process. I think the tang may need dressing slightly to minimise any load on the trim.

Good luck with it

No problem @rallyesax, I may we'll have had another go at mine in the next 2 weeks so will update this thread with my findings if I do.

As previously mentioned I decided to have another go at my A pillar trim because it had lifted away from the screen towards the top of the windscreen as you should be able to see below:-

IMG_20200120_121123627.thumb.jpg.38f0f933edb24e173351bc4e3691b917.jpg

Whilst it appeared fine when I first fitted it over time, and particularly when it was hot, it gradually came unstuck and started lifting. Once lifted dirt gets under it and it never sticks back down again.

The following two photos show the trim in its free state and then when I apply pressure to get it where it should be:-

IMG_20200121_115509157.thumb.jpg.02074d0b895872dac646d50f8965957f.jpg

IMG_20200121_115512555.thumb.jpg.4a67ac861fd810dd50effe878de1f472.jpg

I had thought it was the tang at the top of the trim that was making it want to spring up away from the screen but as it turned out that wasn’t entirely the case. Whilst there was a little noggin of plastic in that area that I have now dressed away the main issue was that the trim simply doesn’t follow the curvature of the screen. So no matter what there is always going to be an element of springiness trying to lift it again.

Perhaps not overly clear but this is the noggin I dressed away (circled), I also dressed material away to the scribed line that you can see:-

IMG_20200121_105721783.thumb.jpg.63813e3d0688f042386e2351e95a9017.jpg

I also very carefully dressed as much material away from the back in that region as I dared using a dremel since the trim also seemed to be riding up on the corner of the windscreen glass:-

IMG_20200121_122001868.thumb.jpg.c011d7def5809087f4a5b2d1173d0515.jpg

To improve adhesion I also decided to add an extra length of the double sided tape as shown above (before removing the backing). Although not immediately obvious in that photo there is a step in the plastic meaning that although the tape is 12mm wide it is only really sticking on a strip maybe 4mm wide. So this extra piece of tape is to fill that step and hopefully mean I get the full 12mm of adhesion once the full length is applied on top as per below:-

IMG_20200121_122611602.thumb.jpg.b70ea1775df26b1f969a3e438a90e9bd.jpg

This is the tape I am using:-

IMG_20200121_143949969.thumb.jpg.35be9b217c8c9c9953fce7e0f50d2583.jpg

This time I also left it clamped for a while before finally reassembling everything else. I applied some PVC tape to protect the trim from any scratches from the clamps and used a load of rags on the inside to protect the interior trim too:-

IMG_20200121_124119933.thumb.jpg.6e8ca6b3590aea859cf7ee6d0c2c4586.jpg

Happy to say it’s now fitting nice and snugly again…

IMG_20200121_144312722.thumb.jpg.e6b4f723a446820d84ceaeb6a3462d0e.jpg

…whether it still will be in the Summer remains to be seen :lol:

• Like 1

You're welcome @rallyesax hopefully your trim will fit more snugly to the windscreen than mine. Best advice I can say is do a trial dry fit to get an idea of how well it will fit and whether any dressing may be required before applying the tape.

Good luck with yours 🙂