free hit
counters
Dry Sump VDO/Jaeger clock - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi All

Started looking at my Dry Sump wiring today and noticed the clock not working, well investigation did not get far as connecting plug missing..

The clock terminals were a little green so removed the rear clip to slide out the main board and clean it up with electrical contact cleaner. All looks okay apart from a large resistor losing its outer paint coating?

Will this need replacing as could it have overheated? Does not look burnt?

The wiring currently has a connecting block so can anyone tell me which wire goes to which terminal so I can test it?

My wires are red, green, lilac and black?

IMG_0806.thumb.JPG.a4d99a85ddea22274f5308f072c52033.JPGIMG_0808.thumb.JPG.fd95a4d242dc0237945268f769212962.JPGIMG_0809.thumb.JPG.05fa01b154f0e58fa60e85724fb1bbdc.JPGIMG_0812.thumb.JPG.6d9897235d15e57adfada2af5b90e63f.JPG

Anyone had one of these repaired?

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A module arrived from China today which is a little larger than the orignal but has the major advantage of having an on-board battery with 2 year life. Not fitted it yet but should go in nicely.

Dave can have a look tomorrow for you mate if you tell me how to get it out. That resistor won't be too difficult to replace assuming you know the spec, soldering iron, solder and a solder sucker you

Been a while but I should be able to work out what resistor you need. Let me pull mine out tomorrow and have a look. Mine is working perfectly apart from never shows the right time as I isolate the ba

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Dave can have a look tomorrow for you mate if you tell me how to get it out. That resistor won't be too difficult to replace assuming you know the spec, soldering iron, solder and a solder sucker you will be done in 5 mins 

• Like 1

Thanks Dan, it just slides out as has two flat spring clips to keep it snug.

The corner of the display looks a little dark as well.

IMG_0810.thumb.JPG.32a09accf4700ccc670bb573055b0760.JPGIMG_0820.thumb.JPG.8321da759d4ab45a59da11544cd2f5b4.JPG

Got a horrible feeling a search will be coming...

Not sure how you measure resistors but the colour bands are brown, red, brown and then another brown I think.

To slide the board out you just remove the spring clip under the connection block although if working okay I would leave well alone.

• Gold FFM

Been a while but I should be able to work out what resistor you need. Let me pull mine out tomorrow and have a look. Mine is working perfectly apart from never shows the right time as I isolate the battery when it is parked up. 

I would think any half decent electronics company could sort that out it's pretty basic stuff. The guys that rebuild period radios would be my starting point. 

Dan 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Dave sorry mate, been cleaning out the garage today, changing bike tyres and putting a weight bench together, now cooking dinner, working from home tomorrow so will pull it out for you then. 

• Like 1

I repair them if your stuck. 

Matt

• Like 1

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Thanks Dan, I have been busy working on my roof radio today.?

Matt I may be in touch if it does not flash up when connected, great stuff, thanks ?

A module arrived from China today which is a little larger than the orignal but has the major advantage of having an on-board battery with 2 year life.

Not fitted it yet but should go in nicely.

DSCN3519.JPG

• Like 2

I see your original has that blackened spot below the light as well, was yours working Andy? 

Keep us posted on how this works out.

Matt repairs the original clocks if mine proves not to work, I need to make a connector block up as mine is missing and don't really want to solder wires on as it will prevent it coming apart again.

The black spot is a material called "getter" which is used to remove the last of the air when the glass tube is evacuated of all air. Its the same as seen on valves. Showing my age here!

Mine does work but as I do disconnect the battery isolator it is completely useless as an actual clock.

Andy

• Like 1

"Not sure how you measure resistors but the colour bands are brown, red, brown and then another brown I think", in combination with the picture of the resistor gives the following value:

Brown Red Brown Brown = 120 Ohm, 1% tolerance.

Judging by the size it looks like to be a 1 Watt resistor.

• Like 1

Esprit Freak

Thanks guys, glad people on here know their electronics as I just get by doing automotive wiring. Saying that I always get there in the end with forum help so never needed to pay someone to fix my problems.

Just need to know which wire goes to which connection now as I am missing my plug. 

The connections are shown in the wiring diagram in the service notes. 

The connection at the edge is red/green (headlights on, causes the display to dim)

Next is green (ignition on, causes display to light up)

Next is purple (permanently on)

Next is black (Earth)

The resistor might be OK, it could just be the lacquer flaked off. You could measure it with it fitted as its only in series with the supply.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Dave, i did try to pull it out last night but the bugger is stuck. It is going up to the Sparkster on Friday I am sure if you are stuck he would be able to pull it out

• Like 1

Hi Dan

Don't risk damage mate, Andy has sent the order so going to try it tomorrow.

I think from Andy's message the order is 

IMG_0808.thumb.JPG.85b9b5b87324e2dbdcfdacadeebfc370.JPG

Black on left then Purple, green and finally on the right the Red/green wire?

I don't have a manual for a turbo anymore as let it go with Lex's white turbo when I sold it.

The module from China fits in, and works fine. Keeps time after power off.

Note this is the later type of clock though.

Here is the link to the module. Note it must be the 0.4 in version. There are similar modules with larger digits on Ebay but these are too big.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-40-LED-Electronic-Clock-7-30V-Adjustable-Clock-Table-Digital-Cars-Electric-Cars-Car-Electronic/919603012.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.qebQKq

clock.jpg

12 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Black on left then Purple, green and finally on the right the Red/green wire?

I don't have a manual for a turbo anymore as let it go with Lex's white turbo when I sold it.

Thats right, and this can be confirmed by looking at the datasheet for the chip. Pins 1-7 are all ground, so you can see that all those go to the left by looking at the PCB tracking. So if the ground is correct it wont blow up if the others are not, for any reason.

• Like 1

Connected it up today with nothing so gave it another good dose of switch cleaner and left it to dry. To my surprise it sprang to life, I have soldered colour coded wires straight to the terminals and plugged them into the car.

All good although display on last digit a little dull albeit with an almost flat battery as car not run for countless months with parts removed.

All happy and a big thanks for superb forum support as always ????

IMG_0826.thumb.JPG.c243f449f1ea5992e25f42d54958e815.JPG

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

A bit late for this thread.

For any esprit s2 owner with the same clock fitted, here is how they connect there:

S2_Clock.thumb.jpg.45a6f002dbf896aef36f23dc725506d9.jpg

How does one best remove the metal clip that both holds the clock in place on the capping rail and fixes the printed circuit board to the clock casing (without braking any of the components, of course) ? Is there any "special procedure" for this?

Mine is quite rusty and I´d like to clean it up...

Thanks,

Georg

Georg

I used a 'O' seal pick tool which was thin enough to slide down the side of the circuit board once the cover face was popped off to push the little tab out. You can then just slide out the metal clip and pull out the PCB.

A thin scriber could be used, I can do you a photo if needed.

• Like 1

Hello Dave.

Thank you very much for the information :thumbup: .

My clip seems to be made out of very sturdy spring steel and is very, very hard to bend / push. Not quite sure if I want to risk breaking anything in the moment :unsure: ...

Please, if you could do a picture, that would be marvellous.

Thanks,

Georg

• 3 years later...